• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Replacement Luggage Racks

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi gang - welcome to my post. I have been making luggage racks for fellow riders who may wish to carry a few additional items than the stock rack would allow.

My standard rack design (shown below) is about 18" wide by 12" long. This style replaces the stock rack entirely. I also have a similar style that clamps onto the existing rack. I make all of them out of solid 6061 Aluminum alloy bar stock that is TIG welded together making them very solid. The following image shows a recent one I made for a very reasonable $160 plus S&H.

I normally paint them with PPG Deltron acrylic urethane. This is a pretty durable finish. The color matching is pretty close to the stock colors as I've been told. Black powdercoating is available at additional cost.

Custom designs and sizes can be made to suit your needs, including adding a mount for a passenger backrest.

GalaxyBlueRack.jpg

Send me a PM if you wish to discuss further. My wife would much prefer that I stay at home instead of carousing the bars at night... :blink:

Schweet! Good to see you over here Garauld! :clap:

Though I don't own one, I think these are da bomb! Check out some photos of some others:

garauldrack1.jpg

The version that bolts/clamps on to the stock fjr rack:

garauldrack10.jpg

garauldrack11.jpg

And the very popular "with passenger backrest" version:

garauldrack2.jpg

garauldrack3.jpg

So fellow feejer pilots, make the poor man's wife happy! :D

Greg

Garauld,

These look great! I think it's awesome when someone goes after their passion. As far as the backrest - is the mount for a specific brand (i.e. Sargent, Corbin, etc.) or do you provide it too?

Hi - this rack design is very adaptable to attaching most any kind of backrest. :construction: From the previous post's photos, you can see the receiver for a Corbin 5/8" sq. backrest post. There do not appear to be any other mfgrs that make removable backrests with posts other than Corbin. Their backrests are very $$$.

Here is an unpainted rack and mini backrest unit that is currently available for $250 plus S&H. I will paint it to match the model year of the buyer's bike. If you have a different backrest in mind, then I am reasonably sure that it can be mounted to suit your needs. Send me a PM if you wish to discuss further...

P6291257a.jpg

BTW, thanks for the kudos - these are fun to make and I use mine all the time...

:bye:

i own one of garaulds racks.... besides being well made, and looking good, it's a safe spot for a tie-down when you get a flat and tow on vacation!!

great workmanship, ani i got the black powder coat that is not so suspectiable to scratches from cargo net hooks...

I just bought a Yami Top Box and was wondering if your racks work as a "mount" for the top box also? Any idea for me??

TIA,

Adam

Wow!

Nice work. I don't need one but it looks so nice I'm thinking about it. Are you a welder by profession? Do you fabricate other aluminum parts?

I can attest to the quality work that Gary puts into his luggage racks. I bought the rack and back rest shown unpainted earlier in this thread. Ins\

tallation was dead easy, the color match was spot on, and the backrest is a big hit with passengers!

I took the bike camping this weekend up the coast of northern California. The rack held bed roll, my favorite pillow :D , thermarest pad, 4-person t\

ent, folding chair and a small cooler, leaving the saddle bags and tank bag for all of my other stuff. This is one really useful device.

Gary has the required design and fabrication skills, and will even build to suit. I consider his work to be of high quality at a very reasonable pr\

ice. :good:

IMG_2898.jpg

IMG_2901.jpg

IMG_2902.jpg

IMG_2903.jpg

IMG_2904.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
HI. I'm interested in your rack with backrest, but have a question. The front of the rack on the left and right seems to protrude past the rear edge of the rear seat and backrest in some photos. Is that an issue for the passenger. Can they be made to be flush with the backrest bracket, or does that create another problem, like tiedown location for luggage? My passenger sits at the very rear of the seat, and is worried about that part rubbing against her hip on each side. I am considering your rack with backrest, and soft luggage for trips, as opposed to the standard Givi setup. I ride alot of solo, so I don't need the big top case on all the time. Your rack with backrest looks a lot cleaner, and when the wife wants to go, there is a nice backrest for her.Thanks for your response.

Hi BOBFJR, There may be a rubbing issue if the passenger sets way back, however, I can modify the design a bit to lower the rack closer to the plastic tailpiece - that should eliminate the chance of rubbing. Also, I can tweak it to use a different pad other than the mini pad shown above. I would just need it in hand. Please send me a PM if you want more info... ;)

Thanks!

These are truely beautiful work! Wish I had the skills. Maybe I can ask you to build one for me for Christmas!?! I have absolutely no use for one, but it looks too cool...

I've had one of Gary's combination rack / backrest ( Corbin mount--my choice ) products for quite a while. The quality of his work is outstanding. Beautiful fabrication and, in my case, perfectly matched blue paint. The real payoff comes in the flexability you now have to carry / haul stuff. Everyone who sees my rack wants one. Absolutely first-rate product.

Mine came in the mail today. Rack, backrest combo. Gary and I discussed my specific needs, and then he went to work. It looks great. I'll check fit this weekend, but as many as he's made, I don't anticipate any trouble. My paint match is great also. I agree with Mamba about the versatility.

Thanks Gary!

Here's another rack / backrest combo that I made for a fellow rider... B)

PA241403a.jpg

Cost as shown is about $250 delivered. Send me a PM if you would like a similar one...

Thanks!

I have just received my latest Farkle from Gary Crowley ( [email protected] ), and I must say his backrest/luggage rack is most beautifully made, and it fits the bike and matches the colour to perfection!

My young wife (61 - but I 'm not brave enough to call her OLD!) now finds the FJR1300 is the most comfortable bike she has ever been on. Thanks, Gary.

The backrest is very nicely patterned, but the photo doesn't really do it justice.

Gary also put a lot of time into getting the backrest and rack combination right to suit my needs, as I didn't want to lose the standard grab rails.

100_0795.jpg

100_0796.jpg

100_0797.jpg

Christmas present to myself. I just needed something to give the wifey some assurance that whe wasn't going to end up on the pavement when I 'goosed' the throttle or hit a bump. Also, I can strap my work-out duffle bag right behing the pad. I'm very happy with the quality and apparent functionality of the backrest/rack that I just received from Gary. I just wish the weather would cooperate long enough so that I could take a short ride. I think the sporty "lines" of the bike are maintained by the minimally intrusive nature of this design and that makes me very happy. Thanks Gary.

https://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=12/35915250865.jpg&s=x12

https://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=12/35915091220.jpg&s=x12ed

https://www.putfile.com

Hi gang, here is another rack variation that may be useful for a fellow rider. This 12"x18" rack has a pair of clips that slip under the top crossbar of the stock rack and is held securely in place with a new SST bolt in the center rear. It will allow all types of camping gear to be strapped down nicely. Included with the rack is the SST bolt and a pair of neoprene strips to protect the crossbar.

PC290001a.jpg

Any color, just $170 delivered to your house. Send me an email if you want one...

B)