Replacement seat, please

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmeckel

Reaction score
Just got back from a 2200 mile trip to New Mexico. First of all. I want to thank this forum for helping me choose tires. Went with a set of PR3's. awesome tire, even in the wet.

New problem. That seat is horrible for long distance! You all know this. Suggestions? Also, one option I am considering is a Corbin with the smuggler box. Anyone got one? Pro's con's? No decisions yet, so feel free to flood me with seat recommendations. Thanks. Also, any FJR clubs in the San Antonio area? Thanks.

Get ahold of Eddie Copeland, "dirt road" on the FZ1 Forum, who lives in Maryville, TN, yes, next to our infamous Deals Gap. 865-406-3224 or [email protected]. For less than $180 you send him your stock seat pan and he builds a custom seat that you'll have back in less than a week with a cover that resembles a Sargent or FJR Yamaha Custom. I've had three seats made by him, two FZ1 seats and my current FJR seat. I couldn't be happier! No gel crap here, just good quality dense foam layers built for many miles in the saddle. He is retired and has been building seat for decades. Best to you.

Seriously? Even a half hearted search would have netted you all the seat answers you could ever want on this forum. This horse has been beaten to death so many times here it is not even funny anymore.

I hate to be mean, you sound like a really nice guy. So, here is my best advice.

1. Do a Google search on this forum.

2. Get a Russell.

That said, there are several seat makers out there. Laam, Russell, the two Mayers, the list goes on.

What ever you do for a seat, just make sure you don't purchase a second hand custom seat that was built for someone else of different weight, inseam, etc.

Spend the $$ and get a new one or you'll probably end up spending a lot more $$ than you expected.

There are really good seats out there, you just need to figure out what you want to spend and go from there. As Redfish said , there is Russell, Mayers, Lamm etc. The Spencer mod is a good economical choice, but not at the same level as Russell and Mayer.

I have a Mayer and a Spencer both serve a different purpose. The Mayer much like the Russell is a bit harder to move around on if you're riding aggressive in turns, so if I know that's what I'm going out for then I put on the Spencer seat. For longer rides the Mayer fits the bill hands down.

Again the Russell seat is an excellent seat too, but you are a bit limited for movement for aggressive riding, unless you Armour All the seat before the ride. (just kidding!!!)

Hope this helps. This is just my opinion and like A-holes we all have one.lol

As others have said. Russell is the king of the hill. You will save money in the long run if you go straight to Russell.

I need an adaptor so I can switch the Russell to the wing and back to the FJR.

Everyone seems to say Ruussell and I almost went with one as well. But the problem for me was they where to far away to get fitted. I found a local guy near Denver to fit a seat for me and I love it, can't say enough about it. I will leave a link to his web site below. My suggestion would be to find someone near you to fit the seat to your body and riding style. Don't get a one size fits all seat upgrade it most likly won't be all you hoped for. When I was getting my seat made I came in for 3 fittings. He had my bike for a week and a half and was 80 miles away, but in the end being fit is the way to go, once again no gel junk just good foam. I can be on my bike all day long. Could'nt figguer out how to up-load a picture of my seat but it is close to this one off his web site.

https://stevegowing.com/
Yamaha-FJR1300-Touring-Shape-Custom-Covers-150x150.jpg

That seat is horrible for long distance! You all know this. Suggestions?
Linked in my signature below. Russell, Russell, Russell!
+1 +1 +1

Mailed mine in (no ride-to-fit) each time I've gotten one (different bikes). Always a good experience that I end up wondering why bother with the cost and effort of a ride-in fitting.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had Mustangs, Corbins (2! both shit), Rick Mayer, a custom and a Russell.

Buy the Russell and be done with it. No 'fitting' other than photos and none needed.

I'll be selling the one off my 04 soon. The one for my '13 went into production yesterday (hoping to have it back before EOM). Front and rear, leather, half moon pattern. They aren't 'cushy' or even comfortable when you first sit on them. You just don't notice them. Fortunately, they feel EXACTLY the same at the end of a 20hr day.

After resisting for thousands of miles and many years, did a ride-in with Laam Seats. Excellent service and am very pleased with the finished product!
a806c859-895d-4e9e-a223-06d9546853e1_zps8c9149f1.jpg

--G
If I were an IBR competitor there is no doubt I would have a Russell. Since that is not part of my plans I also opted for the Laam. The level of customer service, the instantaneous turnaround time, and the quality of the finished product were worth far more than I paid for the Laam. Seth is crazy for not charging more than he does.

The only reason I don't push his product over the Russell is because I know the Russell is the Gold Standard. The Laam is pretty damn good though.

I'll be the naysayer here. Had a Russell, lots of $, lots of photos, and didn't care for it at all. Too tall, too far back. I could have had it re-worked, of course, but only after spending yet more money and time for shipping both ways, etc. That was actually on my C10 Connie. Finally fed up with carb problems, I sold the bike and the seat.

I had Eddie Copeland, "dirt road", redo my seat. More to it than a Spencer, but not reshaped like a Russell, Mayer, Laam, etc. I'm very happy for the price. I've done a 1,000 mile day on it, and many 6-800 mile days.

Latest posts