Replacing clutch switch

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PBCL

Reaction score
I need to replace the clutch switch. I found one ar one of the parts warehouses, but it only shows the switch where in attaches at the clutch handle. Kindof a steep price of $93 for a little plastic box. Doesn't show any wiring with it, but assuming the wiring comes with it. Does anyone know if the wiring comes with it as I don't see any wiring harness listed. Thanks

Im not sure what youre looking at but at Partzilla the

clutch switch is about $25.

Are you referring to the shifter for an AE?

$24 for a Gen II. Over $90 for Gen III - the one I checked was $97 (Partzilla).

Did you try a shot of contact cleaner? Don't know whether this box comes apart or not...

Last edited by a moderator:
Early models could be taken apart, cleaned (sand the contacts), greased with silicone dielectric and reassembled. Not sure if the 3rd Gen switch is the same, but worth an attempt.

Early models could be taken apart, cleaned (sand the contacts), greased with silicone dielectric and reassembled. Not sure if the 3rd Gen switch is the same, but worth an attempt.
I have a gen 3 and have done this with the brake switch, though not the clutch. The additional micro-switch for de-setting the cruise control is the difference in the gen 3.

Have a gen III and believe the clutch switch its the issue. Partzilla is asking around $98 now for the part. WOW. anyway can I get some advice as to where in the wiring loom does it plug in. Will I have to remove the some fairing to get to it? Under the gas tank? Help Local shop wants around $150 for the part and $145/hr to install. Am pretty handy so I want to do it but would like to get some guidance as to what I'm getting into. Any videos out there on this? Thanks

Need some more advice. Took the dash panel off as well as the two covers on each side. Battery and Glove box. Followed the wire from the clutch as far as I could. Can't seem to find where it plugs into the harness. Anyone have any experience with this? Pictures?? About ready to bag it and just start the belt in neutral when necessary . It's a Gen. 2 2014.

Hey bob431389, just a clarification, 2013 and newer are known as "Gen 3" / Gen III bikes.

That will matter in future, possibly for this current thread (?), but certainly for a number of other things you may search up here on the forum.
Sorry, can't offer pinpoint guidance yet on where in the wiring harness that connector needs to go, OTHER than this high-level view offered in my own Gen 3 Service Manual:

1677524579798.png

Hope that helps.

Followed the wire from the clutch as far as I could. Can't seem to find where it plugs into the harness. Anyone have any experience with this? Pictures?? About ready to bag it and just start the belt in neutral when necessary . It's a Gen. 2 2014.
Not aware of any videos or recall somebody doing a thread in the past on this particular bit. Maybe try buying a service manual to diagnose your issue. I recall a "checking the switches" section in the Gen 1 manual. And while I haven't had a Gen 3 all apart, I have had the entire look out on a Gen 1 and don't recall there' being a discreet end to the clutch switch....I think they connect to the computer as part of a very large consolidated connector.

Also, a 2014 is considered Generation 3.....not 2.

Hey bob431389, just a clarification, 2013 and newer are known as "Gen 3" / Gen III bikes.

That will matter in future, possibly for this current thread (?), but certainly for a number of other things you may search up here on the forum.
Sorry, can't offer pinpoint guidance yet on where in the wiring harness that connector needs to go, OTHER than this high-level view offered in my own Gen 3 Service Manual:

View attachment 3670

Hope that helps.
Thanks for the diagrams. Looks like the clutch switch wire harness plugs into the ECU. Also I did know the 2014 was a G III. Just had a brain fart. Happy trails