Return to Death Valley Feb. 13, 14, & 15, '09

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
https://www.dvnha.org/morning_report/Morning.pdf George, you are an extraordinary adventure rider; but sometimes, mi amigo: Discretion is the better part of valor. I have been riding Death Valley for forty of my sixty years, every single year except when I was overseas in the US Army. The weather report above is absolutely the worst I've seen at anytime before!
This is first time I've seen every single road withinin DV shut down and closed; and all roads into DV requiring snow chains!

Death Valley Weather Gods Are Very Angry This Weekend: Probably pissed off at the fact dcarver IS coming their way!!!
Fixed it for yah BeemersDon! What's a little snow, rain, freezing weather, ice, and what not when you can see DV like very few have? Put the plate and HIDS and electrics and navigation and hippo hands and comfie seat on the yz426 then so shred! Not giving up on my hotel reservation yet...
Then again, in two weeks a local group is heading that way, the Atascadero Road Runners.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mi hermano Donaldo: YOU ARE A MAN AMONG MEN! But if you get in a bind, my cell phone number is 602-722-0427 and I've snow chains for my F-150. If you're stuck in a snow drift, Skoot and I'll drive up to rescue you. For whiskey of course!

sorry to miss 2009 DV ride for the first time in years. have a safe ride and fellowship. am currently in

tokyo Japan meeting up some ole Japanese

sukkari touring group buddies from 30 years ago when i lived in tokyo. will miss all of u fjr

folks

Just cancelled my reservations - I'm either smart or a chicken or a smart chicken.
Oh well dcarver, just save me a bar stool at The Loading Chute and I'll have a drink with you. Say, is Monte Mills and "The Lucky Horseshoe Band" still playing country-western-swing Saturday night dances in the barn just behind Loading Chute?

I was 70's C-P Aggie going to the dances, they were so rough there were bouncers throwing you into the barn, not out of it!

Just cancelled my reservations - I'm either smart or a chicken or a smart chicken.
Oh well dcarver, just save me a bar stool at The Loading Chute and I'll have a drink with you. Say, is Monte Mills and "The Lucky Horseshoe Band" still playing country-western-swing Saturday night dances in the barn just behind Loading Chute?

I was 70's C-P Aggie going to the dances, they were so rough there were bouncers throwing you into the barn, not out of it!
Actually, I was thinking of riding WABS into a *local* snowbank then calling you n' SkoooterG to come n' get me! :rofl: Yes, Monte Mills is still playing, at both Creston venues!

"...at both Creston venues!" Oh My God, George and Don: Are you dos hombres telling me that the Longbranch Saloon is still in existence? I was a member of Alcoholics Anonymous from my 29th thru 31st birthdays because of damn Longbranch!

I would wake up next to my 1977 Harley-Davidson FXS on Sunday mornings in the dirt parking lot of Longbranch Saloon.

Before I would pass out, I would loop my 6' logging chain through the frame of my Low Rider and then snap the American lock through my belt loop and the two end links of the security chain, so nobody would roll my chopper away while asleep.

The worst alternative to the above was: That I would wake up naked next to some cowgirl as big as I am on a ranch out on the Carissa Plains; and you know how big I am. The nicest compliment you can pay to a Cholame cowgirl? NICE TOOTH!!!

"...at both Creston venues!" Oh My God, George and Don: Are you dos hombres telling me that the Longbranch Saloon is still in existence?
Yes the Long Branch is still there! I "guess" Don is right about Monte Mills(?) although I never saw him at the Long Branch. I don't get out to Creston in the evenings much. I used to see Monte Mills and the Lucky Horseshoe Band at FC McKlintocks in SLO, but he stopped playing there some time ago.

So far, I haven't slept tied to my FJR yet, but thanks for the idea Don Don. I might need to use that one someday.

I do need to get myself a nice new pair of spurs though! :glare:

:dance:

"...at both Creston venues!" Oh My God, George and Don: Are you dos hombres telling me that the Longbranch Saloon is still in existence? I was a member of Alcoholics Anonymous from my 29th thru 31st birthdays because of damn Longbranch!
I would wake up next to my 1977 Harley-Davidson FXS on Sunday mornings in the dirt parking lot of Longbranch Saloon.

Before I would pass out, I would loop my 6' logging chain through the frame of my Low Rider and then snap the American lock through my belt loop and the two end links of the security chain, so nobody would roll my chopper away while asleep.

The worst alternative to the above was: That I would wake up naked next to some cowgirl as big as I am on a ranch out on the Carissa Plains; and you know how big I am. The nicest compliment you can pay to a Cholame cowgirl? NICE TOOTH!!!
LOL, brother Don, both venues have DIRT parking lots, still! Oh, BTW, the Long Branch during that time was owned my ex's father, a good man, according to all I ask. There is no way the LB would be licensed by today's standards; its been grandfathered. No sub-floor, wires stapled everywhere, it's a small miracle the place is still standing. Especially after folks like you! :)
Oh, the Cholame gurls are HOT compared to Ca Valley... :unsure:

and George, Yes, MM has played both venues in the last 2 years, IIRC. I've not been - guess I should.

PS - I sure hope it rains this weekend - I was REALLY looking forward to getting out of town. If it stays dry, Dave Hovde (local weatherman) is dead meat... :)

and if it rains like it's supposed to on Sunday, I may just go out and test my wet weather skills; does the CyclePort liner really work? How about googles aka Highlander style? How does one get the rain liner on the outer part of the gloves? So much for DV... :cry:

So much for DV... :cry:
It'll be there next week, next month, or next year... there is always a time and place for a ride. :)

I just got back from three days down to San Luis Obispo with a few friends in lieu of DV... rode some really wonderful roads and not much precipitation... always seemed we were just on "this" side of the rain... we stayed at the Madonna Inn... what a hoot!! :lol: Pictures to follow soon. B)

It'll be there next week, next month, or next year... there is always a time and place for a ride. :)

I just got back from three days down to San Luis Obispo with a few friends in lieu of DV... rode some really wonderful roads and not much precipitation... always seemed we were just on "this" side of the rain... we stayed at the Madonna Inn... what a hoot!! :lol: Pictures to follow soon. B)
WHAT? Today is Saturday and you are back home already? :unsure:

WHAT? Today is Saturday and you are back home already? :unsure:
Given the forecast for heavy rain tomorrow and Monday, we made it a 3-day trip and still have two days of a weekend left. Um, did you ride at all? :p

Gotta say - given the lack of expected rain I'm JimmyKicking my own ass for not riding. :angry2: :fuck: wimp!

I still went, well sort of.

I left late Sat. afternoon and went to Primm to watch a fight. As I went past Baker it got really cold and I froze my ass off. After the fight I went back to Baker and froze my ass of again( all Primm hotels were booked). I stayed at the Royal Hawaiian Motel, which at $49 was a good deal.

The next day I went to Shoshone and on to Pahrump where I was expecting to see my friend Jason Pridmore of Star Motorcycle School, but he canceled too.

I then took a ride north to Crystal and stopped at https://shortbranchsaloon.com/index.html and had a cup of coffee. In there I struck up a conversation with a couple bikers from a club called the Skoners. Anyone heard of them? From there, I battled Las Vegas traffic for the ride home down the 15.

It felt good to get away for a little while. Hopefully we can all get together later.

I still went, well sort of.
I then took a ride north to Crystal and stopped at https://shortbranchsaloon.com/index.html and had a cup of coffee. In there I struck up a conversation with a couple bikers from a club called the Skoners. Anyone heard of them? From there, I battled Las Vegas traffic for the ride home down the 15.

It felt good to get away for a little while. Hopefully we can all get together later.
Steve -

You are a committed (or you should be?) rider! When my teeth start to chatter, I've either had one too many fog lifters or I'm freezing my As..h off.

Never heard of the Skoners? Where would one find a scone out where you were but you?

I gotta tip my hat to you for riding, this was a "surprising" weather weekend!