Return to Death Valley Feb. 13, 14, & 15, '09

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
List has been updated!
Here's a preliminary weather report; Beatty, NV
I see Bob Rainey's coming down. This would be a fun deal, George. It's been a while since we've swapped yarns.

I gotta think this one over. It's a crummy ride down the interstate (I do it about once a month in a car). Ideally I could manage Hwy 89 to 395 but weather/snow/ice could be problematic.

Why is the HQ in Beatty. Why not on the west side of the park? Ohhhhh. I know. (And it has something to do with cats, right?)

I see Bob Rainey's coming down. This would be a fun deal, George. It's been a while since we've swapped yarns.
I gotta think this one over. It's a crummy ride down the interstate (I do it about once a month in a car). Ideally I could manage Hwy 89 to 395 but weather/snow/ice could be problematic.

Why is the HQ in Beatty. Why not on the west side of the park?
Yes, "Island Bob" will be there! He's in Arizona right now! It would be good to see/ride with you again Bob, there's always a few good yarns to swap, I'll put you on the "Maybe" list. How's it in the state of Jefferson?

The HQ is in Beatty because there's more food and entertainment choices there as well as being a bit cheaper for accomodations. Besides Beatty's got some great little thrift shops! There is a serious LEO presence in town sometimes, so watch your speed!

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got back yesterday! Oh well it was my 1st time there, and now I get it, what an awesome place. Stayed at Panamint Springs, which was cool, great cats.

Very much looking forward to this ride.

KJ, I may have another 2 bikes in the hunt, will keep you posted.

Any SoCal riders interested in meeting up Friday morning. Maybe 8:30 or 9:00 at one of the following locaitons.

Chino Hills

Corona

Near the 15/60 interchange

Near the 15/10 interchange

Near the 15/210 interchange

Near the 15/138 Cajon Junction Couple of resteraunts on the right hand side of the freeway.

:yahoo: Got the FJR back from the dealer today (New Wiring Harness) installed after Meltdown; so I don't have to Ride the +20yr BMW. Will not be Riding with HIGH Beams that much anymore :unsure: Dealer ordering New Ingition (again) for me.say's it's better. Will make sure they KEY it for me again :angry2:

Thankyou Y E S :drinks: C YA all 2/13 appox 08:00

:yahoo: Got the FJR back from the dealer today (New Wiring Harness) installed after Meltdown; so I don't have to Ride the +20yr BMW. Will not be Riding with HIGH Beams that much anymore :unsure: Dealer ordering New Ingition (again) for me.say's it's better. Will make sure they KEY it for me again :angry2: Thankyou Y E S :drinks: C YA all 2/13 appox 08:00
Glad you got the bike back! See you a week from this Friday. Hope I don't miss out on the :drinks: :D

Snow & Freezeing Nights is making me think (ANZA BORREGO & MNT PALOMAR) area & stay in Palm Springs area :unsure:

Weather in the Valley looks decient; so no Night Riding or Early morning starts. :huh: Damn I really better check for HEATED gear :blink:

Snow & Freezeing Nights is making me think (ANZA BORREGO & MNT PALOMAR) area & stay in Palm Springs area :unsure: Weather in the Valley looks decient; so no Night Riding or Early morning starts. :huh: Damn I really better check for HEATED gear :blink:
You are kidding, right?

Snow in Death Valley?

Never seen that before, good enough reason to make the ride!

You are kidding, right? Snow in Death Valley?
Towne pass often has snow:

2972439950072786939S600x600Q85.jpg

but even the lower areas can get it ....here the charcoal kilns in the snow. amazing

s07.jpg

but even the lower areas can get it ....here the charcoal kilns in the snow. amazing
s07.jpg
at around 4000 ft I am not sure its considered the lower areas. In fact its the gateway to telscope peak the highest point in DV. Drove all the way that could be driven and then hiked a little. Pretty outstanding views from there. Hence the name.

one website even says the Kilns are at 6960. However I think thats an error. I think thats the elevation of the peak.

Anyway. Pretty awesome drive if you havent done it. Probably not a good idea on the FJR. Unless your with Carver.

at around 4000 ft I am not sure its considered the lower areas. In fact its the gateway to telscope peak the highest point in DV. Drove all the way that could be driven and then hiked a little. Pretty outstanding views from there. Hence the name.
one website even says the Kilns are at 6960. However I think thats an error. I think thats the elevation of the peak.

Anyway. Pretty awesome drive if you havent done it. Probably not a good idea on the FJR. Unless your with Carver.
Point being DV is not just low areas. Part of the magic is that you can be well below sea level (badwater) and then high up on the highest mountain in the lower 48 (Mt. Whitney Portal) within not much over an hour(at brisk pace)! That is groovy.
I didn't think the kilns were that high though, I'll go back to some to some GPS tracks and check it out.

DV does get snow in the low areas as well ....just not as common and rarely sticks around for long:

2981133370072786939S600x600Q85.jpg

The road to the kilns is not bad, but take it slow. Certainly doable on the fjr

here are a couple of recent pics:

08LowCal%20(56).JPG

08LowCal%20(57).JPG

08LowCal%20(59).JPG

A week ago yesterday we had FJR's, gold wings and all assortment of bikes at the Kilns. Not fast sailing for most, but certainly doable.

DV does get snow in the low areas as well ....just not as common and rarely sticks around for long:
A week ago yesterday we had FJR's, gold wings and all assortment of bikes at the Kilns. Not fast sailing for most, but certainly doable.
Your first line above is sorta what I'm thing king.

I like kilns, but am willing to sacrifice that side trip.

I wonder? What the highest elevation is going into/out of DV from Baker/Shoshone on the South end?

One concern I have on the way in to DV from the west, is crossing over Walker Pass on CA 178 (over 6,000 ft.) or over CA 58 through Tehachipi which is even higher! Gotta cross the Sierra somewhere?

Not sure what to do about this weather problem just yet? Guess I'll wait to hear other opinions and decide whether to go with Barrie's alternate plan of a Cen Cal ride down to the Anzo Borrego Desert area later today or tomorrow.

Townes pass - the mountain range west of Panamint Springs on 190?
Actually Don, Towne's Pass is East of Panamint Springs on 190. Ou proposed ride was to take us over Townes' Pass into DV. That is probably(?) still going to be OK on Friday but Saturday's forecast looks a bit dicey! Of course once in Death Valley there are no more 4,000 ft. + elevations.

Your first line above is sorta what I'm thing king.

I like kilns, but am willing to sacrifice that side trip.

I wonder? What the highest elevation is going into/out of DV from Baker/Shoshone on the South end?

One concern I have on the way in to DV from the west, is crossing over Walker Pass on CA 178 (over 6,000 ft.) or over CA 58 through Tehachipi which is even higher! Gotta cross the Sierra somewhere?

Not sure what to do about this weather problem just yet? Guess I'll wait to hear other opinions and decide whether to go with Barrie's alternate plan of a Cen Cal ride down to the Anzo Borrego Desert area later today or tomorrow.
I really think weather concern is much to do about nothing. It should be fine and while the possibility of snow is ever-present, the reality is that it is highly unlikely that it'll enter into the mix. Where I live we look for DV as a winter destination as our roads are all dick'd up in the winter and what DV has to offer is golden. Most likely you're going to have stellar weather.
As far as concerns from the west(while I doubt you have to worry) you could always come up from the south (Trona) ...that is good fun and will be golden, not to mentions some good funky goat-trail fun!!!

I'd sure like to join you guys, currently I don't think I can shake other obligations that weekend though. :-(