Reuben Run 5

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in, room booked.
Marcus, wanna share the honeymoon suite again this year?
Get a room you two... ;-)
--G
They do make a cute couple.
rolleyes.gif

Been to the first two, but have been having trouble with the new dates. I guess I am to busy since I retired.

I see that the dates for the Reuben Runs are generally in September with 2016 being no exception. In 2017, however, there will be a total solar eclipse with the center line passing through Madras OR on Monday 21 August at about 10:30AM. Madras is about 70 miles north of LaPine. A nice morning ride away in one of the best clear-weather areas in the US for the eclipse. This article claims that the local hotels are already booked:

https://portlandtribune.com/msp/129-news/250249-118416-maybe-25000-expected-in-madras-for-2017-total-eclipse

Logistically it could be a nightmare trying to ride from LaPine to Madras on that day at that time. But just an idea to consider.

This is premature but kind of interesting. All of Madras and Mitchell are booked for the 2017 eclipse. Most if not all of Ashwood and Warm Springs as well. However, the Best Western in La Pine has rooms available around that date. That's an easy ride to get into the band of totality by 10:20AM. Close to Reuben Sandwiches, too. To posthumously quote a famous forum member, "JSNS."

This is premature but kind of interesting. All of Madras and Mitchell are booked for the 2017 eclipse. Most if not all of Ashwood and Warm Springs as well. However, the Best Western in La Pine has rooms available around that date. That's an easy ride to get into the band of totality by 10:20AM. Close to Reuben Sandwiches, too. To posthumously quote a famous forum member, "JSNS."
Oh holy HELL! I've been looking forward to, planning, dreaming, and everything else about that eclipse for three or four years. Doing everything, in fact, except actually DOING anything. Like reserving a room. I'll be searching for a motel tomorrow and making a reservation. Never really thought about it getting booked up already.

Last RR, a bunch of us rode north out of LaPine someplace and I'm pretty sure crossed through the path of the eclipse at least once. I'd shoot myself if I screwed up my plans to be there for this. Note, everybody, total solar eclipse, August 21, 2017--comes to shore about 9 a.m. south of Portland, goes out to sea off S. Carolina sometime after 1:30 p.m. (Times on the map are for the beginning of the show, not when totality starts). Guess it's not too early to make plans. Thanks for the heads up, harper.

By the way, calling FJRay: Maybe think about scheduling the 2017 run to line up with this? What a cool day ride that would be.

Eclipse-Times.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh holy HELL! I've been looking forward to, planning, dreaming, and everything else about that eclipse for three or four years. Doing everything, in fact, except actually DOING anything. Like reserving a room. I'll be searching for a motel tomorrow and making a reservation. Never really thought about it getting booked up already.

Last RR, a bunch of us rode north out of LaPine someplace and I'm pretty sure crossed through the path of the eclipse at least once. I'd shoot myself if I screwed up my plans to be there for this. Note, everybody, total solar eclipse, August 21, 2017--comes to shore about 9 a.m. south of Portland, goes out to sea off S. Carolina sometime after 1:30 p.m. (Times on the map are for the beginning of the show, not when totality starts). Guess it's not too early to make plans. Thanks for the heads up, harper.

By the way, calling FJRay: Maybe think about scheduling the 2017 run to line up with this? What a cool day ride that would be.
Mike, I found a B&B in the path center line so I rented the entire place. All 16 beds. I already have them filled with my brothers and their families and well as mine. I found another place barely in the path that I would be happy to pass along to you but they insist that you rent it for an entire week and it sleeps only seven. PM me if you're interested. All other places I tried in the path are gone or refuse to book until March of 2017.

ummmm, good dates for me.....
Be good to have you back Richard...don't forget to bring the sweet '16 !!
--G
Actually George the "16" purchase is off as i just bought a K1600....I WILL be bring that.

R
Hey R- I wanna ride it. I promise not to crash it out and if I do I'll pay all damages/replacement!
GTL?
Looking for a new bike...?!?
smile.png

--G

I just booked my room for the RR - not the eclipse. For those that haven't booked, I was quoted $299 for two nights and a single king bed room.