Reuben Run 6

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you one and all for making it another fun year. I'll try to order less smoke for next year but my powers do have limits
rolleyes.gif
. Everyone ride safe and we'll see you next time.

Thanks Ray and Patty for another great RR. 2pm home safe and sound, we beat the rain,

great seeing old friends and meeting new ones.

I'm looking forward to next year!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you one and all for making it another fun year. I'll try to order less smoke for next year but my powers do have limits
rolleyes.gif
. Everyone ride safe and we'll see you next time.
Thank you for putting this event on Ray! Had another great time joining in on the fun!!

They are saying it won't open before spring.
Ah, got it. It isn't kept open during the winter. Bummer. Guess I'll have to ride it during RR7.
smile.png

I will mention having ridden the Aufderheide many times over the last 15 years (3 times in the last 2) I have found it is much better riding it "clockwise" as the majority of the washouts, big spine jarring bumps and such are found on the outside of the track. Some kind soul did go thru three years ago with orange surveyors paint and highlighted some of the bigger dips but they sneak up fast! I would consider reversing the loop.

JP
Is this just the Hwy 242, currently closed, section of the route I posted?
The Aufderheide otherwise known as NF19 is the road that runs between Blue River - Hwy 126 and Westfir - Hwy 58. If you run the loop in the direction you have on your route planner then you are running the route counterclockwise which will put the river on your right. What I was saying is this side of this road has considerable amounts of sunken grades and dips in it and I have found I much prefer running the "high side" of the road, especially two up. I was merely suggesting reversing the entire ride loop you showed on the route planner.

On another note, once you hit 126 there is a great stop for lunch at Tokada's in Rainbow, I know the owner and might be able to arrange a group table if there is interest. No I don't get kick backs, I am just in the industry and know they do a good job and have a clean kitchen! --> https://takodasrainbow.com/

JP
Turns out Aufderheide was closed about 1/3 of the way in due to fire ativity. Rode it to the road block, turned around and went back to the hotel. It was all good though... :)

Thanks Ray, another amazing RR in the books.

We appreciate the hard work that you and Patti, Joel and company and the fine folks at the Best Western Newberry do for us!

Home safe and sound, perfectly smoked to perfection. Hopefully, you guys will get some rain and clear up those sky's

Thanks again

Just got in. Lost a front wheel bearing just as I got into Wapato. Limped it to the Uhaul in Yakima (12 miles), loaded into the back of a enclosed van for the remainder of the trip home. Now if I had my other trailer finished, I would have had a spare front tire all mounted up and/or a bearing puller and spare bearings. Oh well, next time.

Ray and Patti, what a great event. Good to finally see Patti get out on the ride this year.

Home safe and sound at 1P. Uneventful trip north...cold leaving La Pine this morning, the "heaters" were on medium for quite some time!

Great seeing all y'all, always good to catch up with everyone.

Thanks to Ray and Patti for another fun event!
bike.gif

--G

It's good folks left today cause the heavy smoke came back. The whole place smells like a tavern ashtray.

Home safe and sound at 1P. Uneventful trip north...cold leaving La Pine this morning, the "heaters" were on medium for quite some time!
Great seeing all y'all, always good to catch up with everyone.

Thanks to Ray and Patti for another fun event!
bike.gif

--G
--G and I left at 5:00am and found lows around 27 in La Pine but 42 or so in Bend. I arrived home at 12:00am beating the rain and usual traffic in Pugetpolis. No traffic and no rain, perfect. Thanks to Ray and Patti for hosting a great event.

Thanks for all your effort Ray, good times. got in before dark and a bit wet. Traffic was good, ate in Bickelton and life isn't to bad.

They are saying it won't open before spring.
Ah, got it. It isn't kept open during the winter. Bummer. Guess I'll have to ride it during RR7.
smile.png

I will mention having ridden the Aufderheide many times over the last 15 years (3 times in the last 2) I have found it is much better riding it "clockwise" as the majority of the washouts, big spine jarring bumps and such are found on the outside of the track. Some kind soul did go thru three years ago with orange surveyors paint and highlighted some of the bigger dips but they sneak up fast! I would consider reversing the loop.

JP
Is this just the Hwy 242, currently closed, section of the route I posted?
The Aufderheide otherwise known as NF19 is the road that runs between Blue River - Hwy 126 and Westfir - Hwy 58. If you run the loop in the direction you have on your route planner then you are running the route counterclockwise which will put the river on your right. What I was saying is this side of this road has considerable amounts of sunken grades and dips in it and I have found I much prefer running the "high side" of the road, especially two up. I was merely suggesting reversing the entire ride loop you showed on the route planner.

On another note, once you hit 126 there is a great stop for lunch at Tokada's in Rainbow, I know the owner and might be able to arrange a group table if there is interest. No I don't get kick backs, I am just in the industry and know they do a good job and have a clean kitchen! --> https://takodasrainbow.com/

JP
Turns out Aufderheide was closed about 1/3 of the way in due to fire ativity. Rode it to the road block, turned around and went back to the hotel. It was all good though...
smile.png
That sucks, next time for a good unknown out and back with little to zero LEO action, just outside of Oakridge on the East end take the road for Hills Creek Reservoir, cross over the dam and that road NF21 or "Diamond Drive" is a sweet road that my wife and I ripped up one day, we ran it for about 35 miles out and back and then did the Aufderheide and back and then back to Bend. We were going to make the loop and come back over 242 but it was raining pretty hard once we hit Cougar Reservoir so we turned around. This was on Sunday of the 2016 Ruben Run weekend! We stopped for dinner at the Mohawk Restaurant in Gilchrist which ya gotta do at least once in your life and look at the 100+ species of taxidermy mounts in there as well as the largest collection of Avon cologne bottles in the world!

Apparently that NF21 goes 60 miles and comes out on Hwy 138 but according to this guys blog --> https://livetorideblog.wordpress.com/2014/04/18/oakridge-oregon-to-the-north-umpqua-highway-138-via-the-diamond-drive-on-a-bmw-k1200lt/ it turns to gravel before you get there.

Good stuff...

Yes, yes, another RR in the books! It was super cool to see old friends, meet new ones, share stories, get a couple of rides in and eat some fine food.

The Thursday night BBQ and hand squeezed beverage bar was well received and a lot of fun and we will plan on doing it again next year!

A special thank you to Ray, Patty and entourage for all the pre, during and post event work, I know this stuff is not the wave of the wand and appreciate all the hard work!

Sorry but I am not having luck posting images so for those of you that are interested here are some pics from our Friday ride to fossil (with a 12 mile gravel interlude), Saturdays ride to Christmas Valley and the Saturday afternoon "tailgater" back at the Newberry Station. --> https://www.dropbox.com/sh/h5gm0cjtzybxdji/AAAwJoAdmFxawRkbbUbIvtQea?dl=0

Till next we meet...

JP

That sucks, next time for a good unknown out and back with little to zero LEO action, just outside of Oakridge on the East end take the road for Hills Creek Reservoir, cross over the dam and that road NF21 or "Diamond Drive" is a sweet road that my wife and I ripped up one day, we ran it for about 35 miles out and back and then did the Aufderheide and back and then back to Bend. We were going to make the loop and come back over 242 but it was raining pretty hard once we hit Cougar Reservoir so we turned around. This was on Sunday of the 2016 Ruben Run weekend! We stopped for dinner at the Mohawk Restaurant in Gilchrist which ya gotta do at least once in your life and look at the 100+ species of taxidermy mounts in there as well as the largest collection of Avon cologne bottles in the world!
Apparently that NF21 goes 60 miles and comes out on Hwy 138 but according to this guys blog --> https://livetorideblog.wordpress.com/2014/04/18/oakridge-oregon-to-the-north-umpqua-highway-138-via-the-diamond-drive-on-a-bmw-k1200lt/ it turns to gravel before you get there.

Good stuff...
Looks like there's a nice 65 mile loop you can run up there. The little tail coming off of the loop below is where the pavement ends. Still a ways to the 138. 15 miles as the crow flies.

NF21.jpg

"A special thank you to Ray, Patty and entourage for all the pre, during and post event work, I know this stuff is not the wave of the wand and appreciate all the hard work!"

Well said!

All so thanks to AdamK for the awesome map.

Nice to meet some new folks and it was alright to see some of the old folks.

Apple Pie is my favorite, JSNS!

Thanks to Ray, Patty, and everyone who helped put this thing together. This was my first time and it was a lot of fun.

Fun to meet new people and ride with them.

Thanks to George's influence I washed my bike and on Saturday, headed home at 5 AM (28 Degrees and one near deer encounter) , and am looking at adding another bike to my garage. I don't know if I can afford to keep going to these rides, every time I find more things to spend money on.

All in all a great time and look forward to next year.

Rich

Echoing all the sentiments of "thanks for everything Ray and Patti"

Met some new folks and reacquainted with old friends -- life is good
smile.png

Gawd !! We do miss our 2003 Red Sylvie :-((

Thanks again, Ray. A superbly organized get-together with another diet-conscious dinner on Saturday night. What?? No bread??? I'm still hungry. My growling stomach drowned out my music on the way home.

Great ride on Saturday out to Prineville along Crooked River and then up to Mitchell for lunch. I dodged the rain Sunday on my ride to Pork-land and today on my ride to Seattle.

D.C. And I left Monday and ripped back to Carson City, no deer encounters but almost a few law enforcement encounters !

thanks Ray and Patti for putting on the run and the local crew for letting me tag along and tear up the local roads, including the fresh tar and gravel adventure !

D.C. And I left Monday and ripped back to Carson City, no deer encounters but almost a few law enforcement encounters ! thanks Ray and Patti for putting on the run and the local crew for letting me tag along and tear up the local roads, including the fresh tar and gravel adventure !
Yep. Got real lucky on the first one.. would have been impound time... :whistle: