Reuben Run 7

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rm booked. Thinking of leaving Wed and staying on the coast so we can enjoy rt 34 again.
I have already adjusted my route from this year thinking the same thing, wet side going down and dry side going back.stopping at the Bluebird for lunch most likely.

Where does rt34 start and finish?
Waldport to Philomath. But it looks like South Fork Road would be a better choice when you get to Alsea.

Waldport-to-Philomath.jpg

I was riding in that area on July 1st. The 411 is only paved north of Nashville about two miles. We sent the super Super-T a mile ahead and he didn't find pavement so we turned around. After further inspection via Google Earth I've come to find the unpaved section is about 2 to 2.5 miles. Looks nice and twisty too. It's a shame it isn't paved. We rode the 180 from Eddyville to get there, then continued to Blodgett. It was a fun road!

20170701.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Count us in. Theresa wants to stay an extra day or come earlier so we can go for a hike at Lake Paulina. Have to see how to fit it in with the rally before this one.

hmmm........if a southeasterner planning on hitting this event was to block out ....say....... Sept 2-22, for getting there and back, what would be the chances of hitting snow/closed roads at higher elevations in places like......say...... Wyoming, Montana, Colorado, Banff...?

A lot of research to do in a very short amount of time.

hmmm........if a southeasterner planning on hitting this event was to block out ....say....... Sept 2-22, for getting there and back, what would be the chances of hitting snow/closed roads at higher elevations in places like......say...... Wyoming, Montana, Colorado, Banff...?
A lot of research to do in a very short amount of time.
I did this in 2015 with OFace and Petey. We went up through Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, Idaho into Oregon. Didn't hit any snow, just lots of rain in spots.

1911 posted: hmmm........if a southeasterner planning on hitting this event was to block out ....say....... Sept 2-22, for getting there and back, what would be the chances of hitting snow/closed roads at higher elevations in places like......say...... Wyoming, Montana, Colorado, Banff...?
Duane: I lived in Idaho Falls for a winter and there is a chance of snow that early, but not much. And the risk is in the higher elevations, not so much on the prairie or anywhere below 4,000 feet. If it were to snow in mid-September, however, I'd think we'd be delayed for only a few hours until plows and/or sun cleared it away.

If you're headed north from LaPine, as in Banff, all bets are off. That's frickin Canada, bud. They have snow in June.

1911 posted: hmmm........if a southeasterner planning on hitting this event was to block out ....say....... Sept 2-22, for getting there and back, what would be the chances of hitting snow/closed roads at higher elevations in places like......say...... Wyoming, Montana, Colorado, Banff...?
Duane: I lived in Idaho Falls for a winter and there is a chance of snow that early, but not much. And the risk is in the higher elevations, not so much on the prairie or anywhere below 4,000 feet. If it were to snow in mid-September, however, I'd think we'd be delayed for only a few hours until plows and/or sun cleared it away.

If you're headed north from LaPine, as in Banff, all bets are off. That's frickin Canada, bud. They have snow in June.
it snows in various places in BC every month of the year. even here on the Island we have snow showers on a whim it seems

I rode out of Kelowna one Sept day to come home from a weekend away. 90f in the valley, 4-5 inches of snow on the mtn pass.

woohoo.....NOT, but we manage

it snows in various places in BC every month of the year. even here on the Island we have snow showers on a whim it seems

I rode out of Kelowna one Sept day to come home from a weekend away. 90f in the valley, 4-5 inches of snow on the mtn pass.

Since I’ve got some Canadian expertise suckered into this thread about riding in Oregon. And since I’ve found a lot of route info, but not so much timing info, over in the Canada sub-forum, may I pick some brains?

What IS the window of opportunity for riding Banff, Jasper? Do school kids in Canada get the summer off like down here, concentrating all the traffic and crowds into a couple months?

Since I’ve got some Canadian expertise suckered into this thread about riding in Oregon. And since I’ve found a lot of route info, but not so much timing info, over in the Canada sub-forum, may I pick some brains?

What IS the window of opportunity for riding Banff, Jasper? Do school kids in Canada get the summer off like down here, concentrating all the traffic and crowds into a couple months?
End of June to Labour Day is busy in any destination town in BC/AB as, yes, school is out and folks are holidaying. That said, the Icefields Parkway isn't what I would call a jam packed road; it's not the Greater Vancouver/Lower Mainland area by any stretch...It's 2 lane rural national park roadways. There are ways to avoid crowds, for sure, but you will be paying high season accommodations as well, and if camping, you'll want to reserve spots during those months.

Shoulder months can be amazing for riding here, but there is a bit more chance of rain at lower elevations, and snow at elevation. I have ridden well into November here in sunny dry warm temps, but to plan and guarantee that kind of weather? Ya...no. In the lower parts of the province our weather is much like that of Seattle. This year we had sunny and warm until a week ago, but the snow has been in the mtn passes for a few weeks now. The first two weeks of Sept, which lines up perfectly for Ray's RR would be a great time to see Banff and Jasper, but I would go through there on the way TO the Rueben Run, not after. But that's just me...YMMV

Thank you, Barb.

Google assures me that Canada's Labour Day (Fête du Travail) is the same as the US Labor Day, meaning the first weekend in September.

Yes, and we have refridgertors and televisions here as well, but our MacDonalds burgers are made with moose meat

;)

But seriously, if you want some north of the border route ideas etc. Dont hesitate to pm