Rich Fletcher Recovery

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Guy

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
https://www.richfletcherrecovery.com/

I haven't seen this on this board. The link above gives complete details of Rich Fletcher being run down in Oakland, CA. Donations are being accepted at the page via Paypal. I've done what I can and hope others will see fit to contribute as well.

From the web page:

On August 16th 2013, Richard was the victim of a tragic motorcycle crash & hit and run in Oakland, Ca. While riding his motorcycle home from work that Friday afternoon he was cut off by a passing motorist. Rich did nothing other than point at his own head as he later passed the driver further down the road as a sign to use your head and watch for motorcycles. This small gesture enraged the driver of the car and he immediately started trying to run him off the road numerous times.

Rich, only wanting to get home to his family after a long week of work, simply sped off and away from the irrational driver. After riding a few miles and no longer seeing him, Rich thought he was safe and far enough away that he relaxed and went back to a normal pace. Moments later Rich looked into his mirror and last thing he saw was the car coming straight at his rear wheel doing what he believes to be at least 30 miles an hour faster than he was traveling, as he was doing the speed limit.

The driver purposely rear ended him on his motorcycle and then sped away. He is currently being charged with attempted murder along with other felony charges and is being held at Santa Rita Jail in Alameda County.

Richard suffered tremendous injuries and is paralyzed from just above the waist. His spinal cord was severely damaged. He has many broken vertebrae & ribs along with lots of road rash. He is recovering in the hospital and is currently out of the ICU ward. Next he will be transferred to a spinal recovery therapy center where he will have a lot of work ahead of him. The surgeons and doctors who performed his surgery have stated he will never walk again as the spinal injury was so severe.

Rich was the sole provider for his family of 5 including his 3 children, 2 of whom are in college with his youngest a sophomore in High School. Words can not describe the pain and uncertainty the family is feeling right now. There will be some very difficult times ahead for the Fletcher family and any financial help that can be provided will really help as both Rich and his wife Laura will both be away from work for an extended time. Please help a great father, husband and friend in his time of need!

Thank you from the Fletcher Family!

:(

Just have to use your head out there. Resist the urge to make gestures and point out stupidity. I'm guilty of it myself, but I do my best to control my temper. A car will always win against a bike.

His condition does not sound good, hoping for the best possible recovery.

sad.png

Just have to use your head out there. Resist the urge to make gestures and point out stupidity. I'm guilty of it myself, but I do my best to control my temper. A car will always win against a bike.

His condition does not sound good, hoping for the best possible recovery.
About the most I'll do is look at them and shake my head, but in this case, I'd say that would have been enough to spark the incident. You're right. It's best just to go on.

I disagree completely. I know the car always wins but if they mess up, I see nothing wrong with pointing it out. Even if the motorcyclist had made rude and obnoxious gestures no sane person would react by trying to kill him.

I hope that the driver of the car suffers miserably for his crimes. I am sorry that Rich Flecher, whoever he is, has to suffer for them as well.

I disagree completely. I know the car always wins but if they mess up, I see nothing wrong with pointing it out. Even if the motorcyclist had made rude and obnoxious gestures no sane person would react by trying to kill him.
True, but its kind of hard to pick and choose which drivers are sane and in the absence of that knowledge its best to assume they are all insane and not do anything to provoke them.

I hope that the driver of the car suffers miserably for his crimes. I am sorry that Rich Flecher, whoever he is, has to suffer for them as well.
We agree, in principle -- I see nothing wrong with it either. But I've seen enough aggressive moves from drivers who should be sane that I feel it'd be best to leave it alone.