Ride Like a Pro

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Draggon Rider

Reaction score
I would like to improve my slow speed and 2 up riding technique .

Ride Like a Pro has classes here in Los Angeles and I am considering taking this one day class.

Has anyone taken this course? or Would you suggest another course?

Thanks

Randy

I know the good Mrs. Palladino from my VTX days, and her and Jerry have built quite the business, with DVDs, being asked to instruct at national meets, such as the Honda Hoot and Daytona, and now with their rollout of classes across the country. I know their instructional DVDs are top-notch, and if you want to see their skills, do a search on Youtube. :clapping:

The DVDs aren't Spielburg/Lucas quality but the theory is excellent.

You could piss your money away on a lot worst things. I think most riders like me (no formal training) benefit from the DVD.

Just MHO.

I have the DVD but would love to take the class
+1!!!

If they offered the class here I would go for sure. I am of the opinion that a rider never stops learning and the more instruction you can get the better you will be......

"Right now, the biggest age group getting into the most crashes and the most deaths are actually 40-55-year-olds," Palladino said

Yeaaaa! I'm safe, dun past them numbers. :yahoo:

At 43, I am right in that age group, and recently returned to riding.

I have been pretty active in re-educating myself and have been very pleased with the Ride Like a Pro videos, and the Lee Parks Total Control book. Well explained with good practice exercises.

I would love to take both of the riding courses for these two. If you do go, please come on back and give a review.

Shiny side up!

:)

MSF also has courses (Basic Rider Course 2 and the Advanced Rider Course) that address many of the same topics, but I must admit I'm biased... any training is better than no training. You can check out MSF's online library at www.msf-usa.org. There is also a series of MSF instructional videos available through iTunes.

The basic rider course 2 and advanced rider course with MSF are great, even if you're just refreshing your skills, or finding out you had better ones than you thought you did. I'd attend a Palladino session in a heartbeat, if I hadn't stolen their techniques years ago. Would still be a good time. Once you understand that, even at almost zero mph, the dynamic tension between the drivetrain and the rear brake (bike in gear, clutch in friction zone applying moderate power to the rear wheel, rear brake applied) makes the bike want to stand up, even during stops or maneuvers so slow only a Wallenda could balance it. That's the great epiphany for someone new to the techniques taught by Jerry and Crew.

Had a chance to take this class earlier this year, with the Harley Road King. The last time I took any formal motorcycle instruction was the MSF ERC over 10 years ago on a Suzuki SVS. Back then I found the course educational and challenging.

Ever since I've moved on to a Triumph Speed Triple, Suzuki B-King, and now the Harley Road King. This is the heaviest bike I've ever owned and although I got comfortable with it fairly quickly it never hurts to learn more.

I went into the class with an open mind, although I was skeptical I'd learn any new skills. I figured I had no issues already negotiating a u-turn on a 2 lane road.

We started off with a slow race, where you modulate the throttle, clutch, and rear brake to crawl as slow as possible. It's a simple exercise that really forces you to get comfortable with the basics. Then you move on to increasingly difficult patterns. When each new pattern is learned, after you run through it you still go back and run the previously learned patterns.

Throughout the morning, as we learned new patterns I felt like the previously learned patterns prepared me for the next step, thus things got easier. The class focused on the 4 fundamentals that they list on their website,

www.ridelikeaprohouston.com

Look where you want to go by physically turning your head and eyes, slipping the clutch, adding some throttle, and using the rear brake. It's all very basic but I suppose it's the application of all of them that's tricky.

My class of 7 were mostly riding Harley touring bikes. One had a Honda Shadow 750 and another was on a Harley Fatboy. Two dropped their bikes, one had crash bars so no damage. The Fatboy still had paper tags and no crash bars but the only damage was a clutch lever, mirror, and scuffing on the clutch case cover.

I was initially worried about dropping mine going into the class, but I remembered back to the MSF ERC where another student dropped his BMW touring bike a couple times. You're in an open parking lot where the patterns are marked off with cones or spray paint. If you can't make it, just let off the clutch, add some gas, stand the bike up and ride away. Go back and try again.

It's hard to compare this class to the ERC since I took that class a while ago. If I recall, the ERC did include some emergency braking then swerving (somebody please correct me). The RLAP focuses on applying the 4 fundamentals to get you through increasingly challenging patterns.

I came out being much more comfortable in being able to toss any 750 lb and heavier motorcycle around at full lock.

Both instructors are/were motorcycle officers. One of the assistant instructors isn't, but rides a Hayabusa and demonstrating the patterns on it. Overall I had fun and will try to take this or maybe the ERC again annually to keep my skills sharp; along with practicing on my own.