Ride-On Experience

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

art miller

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
For what it is worth, I recently discovered a wire (looks like a paper clip) clinging to my rear tire. When removing it I found it had the end embedded in the tire. After removing it I put some soapy solution on the tire to see if there was air leaking. Sure enough there was a puncture. i have Ride-On in the tire. I took the bike for a fast four mile ride on the near by Interstate returned to the house and checked the tiny hole again. No air bubbles. After returning home from a five day absence I checked the tire pressure and it was 42psi exactly what it was after the test ride. This gives me confidence the product works on minor punctures on the road surface of tires. Added benefit, no wheel weights.

As for convenience of not having to patch a tire (and the safety of not getting a flat tire "surprise"), I can see some benefits for Ride On. On the other hand, it makes a gawd-awful mess inside the tire and doing a roadside plug isn't that big of a deal.

Although its balancing properties are touted by the manufacturer, I am skeptical - same idea as balancing beads.

I haven't used the stuff myself and probably won't. Not saying it is a bad idea but not for me. I would assume it isn't compatible with TPMS systems.

Can't say enough about the "peace of mind" that my new TPMS system brings.

I hit a piece of road debris on a ride the other day, and the ability to just glance down every now and then for the next few miles {I was riding in the Smoky Mountains, a LONG way from home and even a gas station} and make sure I wasn't losing pressure was worth many times the 50 dollars I paid for this thing.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/M3-B-WF-Motorcycle-TPMS-Tire-Tyre-Pressure-Monitoring-2-External-Sensor-MA1713/232942714438?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

As for convenience of not having to patch a tire (and the safety of not getting a flat tire "surprise"), I can see some benefits for Ride On. On the other hand, it makes a gawd-awful mess inside the tire and doing a roadside plug isn't that big of a deal. Although its balancing properties are touted by the manufacturer, I am skeptical - same idea as balancing beads. I haven't used the stuff myself and probably won't. Not saying it is a bad idea but not for me. I would assume it isn't compatible with TPMS systems.
Ride-On does not make a mess inside the tire. The solution conforms to the inside surface a width of about 5 inches. There is no Ride-On on the rim. I have observed four tires to date and can verify this. As for TPMS and Ride-On, the solution would have to be put in the tire when mounting and not through the valve stem. I was a skeptic but when a mechanic at the local Yamaha dealership gave it high praise I decided to try it. I use it only in the rear tire and truly believe it balances the tire as well.

you high tech guys.. i would have pulled the paper clip and put a toothpick in there.. good for 5k miles...
smile.png
Wut are you a caveman? I'd use a wood screws to plug tires!
clown2.gif

I've used Ride-On for years. Never had a flat (that I know of)* and the guy that mounted my new tire did say it was a "bit messy", but was 100 times easier to clean of than Slime.

I've read several testimonials from people I know that say the stuff is worth it. One even mentioned when he went to get a new rear tire for his Gold Wing, the guy in the shop told him he had two nails in his tire.

*This then might be something of concern to folks, that you could be running around with a nail in your tire but you'll never know it until you take the tire off and see it sticking out inside the tire.

To me, as long as the tire isn't leaking, I'm pretty happy, and I do recommend Ride-On to other riders.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just wanted to add there is also another alternative.

https://www.rhinotire.com

Basically they sell you a tire that has already been coated with a puncture sealant. You of course pay for the tire, the sealant application, and if you don't live nearby, shipping.

If you watch the videos (requires flash player) you'll be impressed. They actually run a 1/4 drill into a full tire several times and it doesn't lose air.

Here's a video on YouTube for those using phones...

I've used Ride-On for years. Never had a flat (that I know of)* and the guy that mounted my new tire did say it was a "bit messy", but was 100 times easier to clean of than Slime.
I've read several testimonials from people I know that say the stuff is worth it. One even mentioned when he went to get a new rear tire for his Gold Wing, the guy in the shop told him he had two nails in his tire.

*This then might be something of concern to folks, that you could be running around with a nail in your tire but you'll never know it until you take the tire off and see it sticking out inside the tire.

To me, as long as the tire isn't leaking, I'm pretty happy, and I do recommend Ride-On to other riders.
Not sure what is meant by a bit messy when mounting new tire. The Ride-On solution is injected through the valve stem. A piece of IV type tubing comes with the product. When removing tire that has Ride-On applied it is not messy. The material is firmly adhered to the inside tread portion of the tire. There is absolutely no Ride-On on the rim. If for any reason you want to remove the material it is water soluble and can be washed out (I've seen it done)..