Ride planning/ Help needed

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

101stpathfinder

Trading miles for memories
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I am considering another attempt at the “Deca” (10 consecutive BBGs) Last summer I failed when I attempted the ride at the beginning of my longest month ride. The weather was extremely terrible for the first 5 BBGs. When it cleared up on day 6, I felt smug thinking the ride was in the bag. Day 7,at the turn around in Montana, I saw the rear tire cords and being a Sunday with all cycle tire sources closed,  I had to duct tape the rear for a 760 mile return to the motel and my tire supply kept in my bushtec. I was nearly 2 hours late and thus the attempt was over.

I would like another shot at it. Dan S. has been encouraging me to make another attempt and I am considering it. I have multi FJRs, so tires pre-mounted on rims is a possibility.  The problem is that sleep is a key. Even a 20 minute swap At midnight (Down time is midnight to 4 am) could be a ride killer. Is there anyone who might be able to help?  The ride would be out of Sioux Falls, SD.  Dates are flexible at this point.

Thanks, Tony

I should have defined what help that I was looking for.  Prior to the failed ride attempt, I had never had a rear tire wear out in less than 15k. My rear tire wore out with only 10k on it. My front actually wore out in under 13k.  I THINK with normal weather that my front will last (Rear?) So I am wanting a rear tire swap for sure and possibly a front tire swap either at the same time or later. Oil change would be cool also.  I could have every thing needed in a trailer on site.

I can't believe you don't run a car tire already Tony. Do you feel like it is cheating? I have the rear brake stay you gave me. I haven't mounted it, so if you want it send me your address. I'll UPS it to you!

Oh wow, you guys are evil tempters ! 
Maybe after nearly 500k on FJRs, I will break down and go dark side- just for the attempt though!  Just out of curiosity, how long does it take to get used to the difference in handling?  I tried it on someone else’s bike years ago and didn’t like the feel. With this ride though, it makes sense.

Good luck Tony! 

I too think the car tire is the way to go for this ride. For IBA type riding where you're on the interstate blowing away the miles it's the way to go. By time you get to Sioux Falls for your start point you'll be comfortable with the CT.

Bob, might take you up on the offer. I wouldn’t mind borrowing it just for the ride if the offer stands. (?) 

BTW My son works for UPS and my brother in law retired from fed ex. 
Tony, pm me your address and I will ship it to you. BTW my brother is retired from the USPS. He shipped me something from MA Friday paying for overnight. I have yet to see it.

Bob, I’m good. fljab says he has one. I may use his or fabricate another one using his for a model. IF I attempt the ride, I decided to do the darkside for sure.

My other option would be to put it off another year and do a leisurely ride to and around Alaska. My IBA rides are nonexistent at this point and thats OK with me now.  Still have a few in mind though...

Bob, I’m good. fljab says he has one. I may use his or fabricate another one using his for a model. IF I attempt the ride, I decided to do the darkside for sure.

My other option would be to put it off another year and do a leisurely ride to and around Alaska. My IBA rides are nonexistent at this point and thats OK with me now.  Still have a few in mind though...
You deserve some flower sniffing time!

Latest posts