Ride planning/ Help needed

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tony: check with Brodie on the specific CT he runs. I have one of the last Exalto's on my Gen 1, you saw it when you were here at the house. But after riding Brodies' bike at OEM a coupe years ago, I'm a believer. That tire he rides is way better than my Exalto. Choosing the right CT makes quite a difference.

Tony: check with Brodie on the specific CT he runs. I have one of the last Exalto's on my Gen 1, you saw it when you were here at the house. But after riding Brodies' bike at OEM a coupe years ago, I'm a believer. That tire he rides is way better than my Exalto. Choosing the right CT makes quite a difference.
Well Hell now in curious too! I've been dabbling with the Darkside for a few months now. 

Hey Brodie what CT you running?

Gentlemen

The latest tire I am running is a GF Goodrich G Force Comp 2 All Season steel belted radial, in the 205/50 ZR 17 size. I’ve had one of these so far and am pleased with it’s handling. This will probably be the next one again in a couple of months. I typically get around 30 to 32 thousand miles on my dark side tires. Usually I change them out to get deeper sipes for an upcoming trip, the wear bars having been exposed. They wear evenly across the face of the tire, without any unusual scalloping or excessive edge wear. 
I have also ran a General Tire G-Max AS-03  before this one with good results.

Your mileage may vary. 
Hope this helps. 

Brodie

🙂

I had a General G-Max AS-03, got about 28K miles from it.  Then I had an Exalto but I shredded it on a 3/8" pin in the road.  Both of those are now unobtainium AFAIK.

I'm currently using a Riken Raptor ZR A/S.  Good tire IMHO.  The General was better in the dirt and hardpack than the Exalto but the Exalto rode & turned better on the pavement.  The Riken to me is a good compromise between the two for both types of road.  I won't hesitate to buy another when needed.

If you've got the time and $$ do what I did- scrounge up a spare rear rim on the cheap.

The good thing about trying out the Darkside is that car tires are considerably cheaper than motorcycle tires, so you don't have to stick with it for 30,000 miles or so if you find you don't care for it. You can always go back to your favorite motorcycle tire at any time, as the only modification required is a cut out on the brake stay, or a flat bar to replace it to clear the fatter side wall. 

As for which tire works best?

Well, what is the best motor oil for your bike? What is the best final drive oil? Windshield? aftermarket seat?

There are several favorites among this crowd, and I'm sure more will chime in with their opinion, that's what makes this gathering of minds fun! 😇

Brodie

😉

The brake bar is not difficult to make.  Use your stock bar for a template and a piece of 3/4" wide by 3/16" thick bar stock from the hardware store or Home Depot.  Remember that the ends need to be radiused for clearance as the swingarm moves and that the retainer hole is a different size than the bolt holes.  If you have a hacksaw and a drill you can make one up in short order.  A grinder and some rattle can black will make it prettier and keep the rust at bay.

Tony, I put a Darkside tire on My FJR for an East Coast trip in 2015.  

I spent most of the time on the slab and the rear tire was perfect for that, especially in the rain.

Allen C, Cav47 and several others took me riding in Southern Indiana on hot afternoon and the Car tire was real work hanging with those speedsters.

The "difference" is that you have to keep pressure on the bars while turning.  It also feels weird in the parking lot.

For the ride you are looking at the Car tire makes perfect sense.

Garage space, lift, Oil Change and tire machine and balancer are all available at SD I-90 Exit 14, I'll even do the work while you catch some zzzzz's and SWMBO might even feed you.

Let me know what dates you are thinking about.

John

Pet Peeve - Tires are all different from each other.  WHAT tire you used makes a big difference in how useful your comments are.  Just like moto tires, not all CTs handle the same way.

If'n yer in Nebrasuck, like last year, and find yourself in need of assistance let me know directly.  I'll PM you my contact info.
As far as changing tire/oils & such whilst you slumber, sure, but I'm a bit south of Sioux Falls, SD

So Tony, did you ever go ahead with this ride?

This stupid pandemic I'm sure ruined many planned rides this summer, but I truly hope you were able to still accomplish your's.

Mike, never made the attempt. My 124k last year has left me so far behind on the house and maintenance on 4 bikes, not to mention the financial drain incurred. I was in Michigan and Wisconsin last week though.

Probably going to work off some debt and trim down to 2 bikes while staying home and doing needed tasks around the house. I figure another year before I roll freely again.

C4C381A1-5BCF-4A13-9F81-2EE40B945415.jpeg

8F7CD692-69F2-4073-854D-5CB215B2FE6B.jpeg

D4906195-0B54-4069-AF79-ADE4CB4AF2CE.jpeg

1E030FB3-B8CD-4893-B841-E9B71AB922DC.jpeg

That is one ugly Gen 3.6. 

Traitor. 

Lame flower-sniffer.

:fuck:
SkooterG (?) I remember an LD rider that used that name. Who are you and what are you doing using his forum name?
  It’s the gen 2 bags that throws you off. The ‘18 is a thing of beauty!  I am closing in on 500k FJR miles. 
  Seriously Skooter, it’s nice to hear from you !