Riding a motorcycle is highly risky, right?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred W

1 Wheel Drive
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
At least that is the conventional wisdom.

Those crazy motorcyclists are putting themselves in harms way just for a few thrills. Thats what people tell you. My Mom has always felt that way, even to this day.

At one of my past annual physicals I was asked: Do you participate in any high risk activities, such as needle drug use, unprotected promiscuous sex, or motorcycling? (I was too stunned to answer that)

Imagine my surprise when I stumbled across this article:

https://blog.timesunion.com/healthcare/how-are-you-likely-to-die-here-are-the-odds-of-dying/2515/

According to the National Safety Council, the odds of dying from a motorcycle accident in the course of your lifetime are 1 in 770. Which, interestingly, are better odds (less likely than) dying from the following:

Pedestrian Accident

Skin Cancer

Car Accident

Brain Tumor

Assault

Fall

Prostate Cancer

Breast Cancer

Heavy Drinking

Obesity

Stroke

Smoking

Cancer

And the number #1 killer - Heart disease

Im sure there are some statistical shenanigans going on to reach these odds, but still... rather than worrying about us riding a motorcycle, maybe people should be concerned for all those people in line at McDonalds. And you dont need a license, insurance, or specialized training to get a triple quarter pounder with extra cheese and jumbo fries.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha ha, havent we all...

Maybe the key take away here is something else my Mom always used to tell me:

Look both ways before you cross the street. :)

Lies, damned lies and statistics ...

Unfortunately, I couldn't read the linked article, all I get is:

451 Unavailable For Legal Reasons
Sorry, this content is not available in your region.
... the odds of dying from a motorcycle accident in the course of your lifetime are 1 in 770. ...
Is that "1 in 770" for those who ride a motorcycle or is it for the general population? Makes quite a difference to the interpretation.

Anyway, I maintain they are dangerous.

Yes, riding a motorcycle comes with a lot if risk. Every single person jumping on a motorcycle SHOULD know the risks associated before riding off.<br />

That being said. I am going to leave this well made motorcycle video clip here. Why Ride a Motorcycle. A MUST watch. <br />

<br />

<a href='

</a>

For the 55-yo who died yesterday from her injuries a few mile from here on Friday ....she'd add "riding a bicycle", which, of course, is only a faster pedestrian.

Absolutely NO fault of hers ....taken out by a vehicle.

I don't care what you're doing, when, or how.....I'm a firm believer in "when your number's up, your number's up"

Carpe the hell out of every diem and ride on !

Yes, the stats are bogus because they are using the total population to determine risk, not the subset that actually rides. Same for all the other things listed.

Maryellen got the point, which is that no matter what activities you decide to participate in, your going to die eventually from something. Do the things you want to do.

Mem and Fred are both spot on.

I would add that taking the right rider courses, training, riding defensively, and wearing protective gear are all things we can do to minimize that risk so much as possible. Ride safe!

Fred, I am not convinced about the we are all gonna die crap. I have been shot, stabbed, had my ass kicked by a pro, had Hep C, five parachute malfunctions an had cancer and I am still here. Pretty sure I am immortal.

Can I mitigate the risk if I have a salad for lunch at McDonald's, during a long ride?
Depends on which salad. The crispy chicken Caesar has more calories, fat, cholesterol and sodium than a Big Mac!

I agree with MEM and Fred as well. Sometimes shit happens no matter what you do!

Oh well, C'est la vie, I guess I'll take whatever comes my way, and enjoy it while it lasts. I may eat more at Harvey's now.

Fred, I am not convinced about the we are all gonna die crap. I have been shot, stabbed, had my ass kicked by a pro, had Hep C, five parachute malfunctions an had cancer and I am still here. Pretty sure I am immortal.
wow, what in the world. Glad to hear you are still alive and kicking
smile.png

This subject is familiar to me. No one in my family rides or ever has ridden. My brother's a fireman/paramedic - to his credit, he has not once rubbed his experiences (which I'm sure are vast) in my face. My parents have gone from utterly terrified to accepting, understanding even.

But the real hero is my wife. She will occasionally (on VERY RARE occasion) ride with me, but if she never rode again, she'd never miss it. She's made no bones about the fact that she worries, and with good reason. Twice now, she's received that dreaded phone call that I crashed. And the other time I crashed, I didn't tell her until I got home. Amazingly and by some statistical miracle, I haven't been seriously hurt yet. In all 3 cases, the root cause of the crash was 100% absolutely and unequivocally the result of my ridiculous stupidity and inability (at the time) to ride within my limits, abilities, and to follow good safe riding principles. This can't be understated. My wife and I have talked about my riding many times at length. She understands that I'm ATGATT. She understands that I do things in my riding to hedge my bets. She understands that despite my very best efforts and mitigation strategies, there is a real chance that someone will pull out right in front of me and take me out. And she understands that for now, I'm willing to take that risk.

And regardless of her own opinions, she accepts the risk I take, and the real consequences it might have on her. And I've taken advantage of her concession and let her down on no less than 3 occasions. I simply MUST remember that every time I ride. I MUST do the things that I promised to do. Stay vigilant 100% of the time. Ride well within my limits. Etc. For almost 3 years now, I've done a pretty good job at it, but I do admit, there have been a close call or two and they remind me of my short memory.

I'm done trying to convince (respectfully) ignorant people on why I ride. The ones that I truly care about understand about as well as they are ever going to. My constant focus now is trying to live up to my end of the situation, so that I may earn and keep their trust.

Yes, the stats are bogus because they are using the total population to determine risk, not the subset that actually rides. Same for all the other things listed.
Maryellen got the point, which is that no matter what activities you decide to participate in, your going to die eventually from something. Do the things you want to do.
Yes - very silly stats. "Jumping out of an airplane without a parachute" would probably be listed as 1 in a billion odds - simply because very few people do this...but if you do, I'm pretty sure the odds are higher...

This is great timing.

When I was walking out of work on the Friday the head honcho Gal in charge of safety asked if I was scared to ride a motorcycle. My quick answer was not at all. To think how many people miss out on so much fun because they are scared all the time. What has happened to society. Let's not discuss that because it will certaninly derail this thread.

One of the good reasons why I stay away from doctors. My business is not for them to know what I like and dislike. Funny how guns didn't make the list.

Dave

The health thing is a lot like the vehicle insurance thing I encountered when my FJR was new. Some companies deemed it a pure super sport bike and wanted to charge accordingly. Nope.

I quit long ago trying to convince anyone that riding is or isn't [fill in the blank]. Mostly I just shrug and say something like," well, it ain't for everyone. So what do you do for relaxation/travel/fun?" And then try to relate my experiences (if there are any) and have a civil conversation about that however disinterested I am. I know of no one who doesn't like to talk about him/her/it self. I even told one lady that quilting, OMFG, what with all those dirty needles floating around, is certainly right up there with heroine in terms of safety. It all depends on your perspective I guess. She didn't get the sarcasm, but she did go away.

My wife hates bikes. She hates me having and riding one, but she knew I do very early in our relationship. She hasn't tried to convince me to do otherwise though sometimes it seems like she's trying to "steer" me into other activities I like. I resist but sometimes she has a good idea.

Yes - very silly stats. "Jumping out of an airplane without a parachute" would probably be listed as 1 in a billion odds - simply because very few people do this...but if you do, I'm pretty sure the odds are higher...
Yeah, its not quite that skewed though. There are well over 8 million motorcycles registered in the US. Some estimates are that one in every 30 people own and ride a motorcycle. So if you are a rider your odds go up by that amount. (X 30). 770 / 30 = 1 in 26 odds. So you are still much more likely to die of cancer or heart disease than from riding your bike. Which is too bad cause Id much rather check out on the bike.