riding at high RPM's (6000-8000)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess we'd all be better just keeping them in our garages, changing the oil and lookin' at them so they'll last a good long time.
OK, mine is safe. Winter, you know.
rolleyes.gif
Well, except for the oil changing part. That will wait until spring.
I've been advised to change my oil/filter in the Fall when I put the bike away for winter, along with the other Winter storage prep. I start in the Spring with that oil and filter! I am able to bring the bike right into my basement as well so it is away from freezing cold and moisture. Just what I do?
Yes, I normally do that too, but I kept putting it off because I was going to get in a couple more rides. That didn't happen. I bought the oil and filter so I should just go do it.

I guess we'd all be better just keeping them in our garages, changing the oil and lookin' at them so they'll last a good long time.
OK, mine is safe. Winter, you know.
rolleyes.gif
Well, except for the oil changing part. That will wait until spring.
I've been advised to change my oil/filter in the Fall when I put the bike away for winter, along with the other Winter storage prep. I start in the Spring with that oil and filter! I am able to bring the bike right into my basement as well so it is away from freezing cold and moisture. Just what I do?
Yes, I normally do that too, but I kept putting it off because I was going to get in a couple more rides. That didn't happen. I bought the oil and filter so I should just go do it.
GO DO IT NOW!

(And change the final drive oil while yer at it, ya lazy so & so!)

tonguesmiley.gif

It's a shame we are all so damn mean. And this close to Christmas too.

It does seem like a ridiculous question at first, but where better to ask it than here? If Daniel is like me, there were no FJR owners in the immediate vicinity to answer my dumb questions. So, I wound up here. And give the man credit, this is not exactly a common question we have all answered dozens of times.

However, the advice has been good. Ride more, stress less, stop changing the oil so often. Unless you own stock in a petrochemical company.

I've been rid'in motor bikes for many years and have run them up to upper RPM limits on occasion but never saw the need or desire to maintain high RPM's just for the sake of riding in a lower gear at higher speeds. Other than more noise what advantage is gained? Just curious!!

I normally keep the RPM at around 5k for cruising and much higher in the twisties. Higher RPM allows me to control my speed without reaching for the brakes, especially in the middle of a turn. It's just the way I prefer to ride. I don't see any harm in using higher RPMs if it makes your ride more enjoyable. After all, if we were not out there trying to have fun we would drive a car.

Good advice here. I'm going to deactivate my cruise control and use the rev-limiter to control speed. Watch the chicks come around.

Good advice here. I'm going to deactivate my cruise control and use the rev-limiter to control speed. Watch the chicks come around.
You need lots of chrome and loud pipes if you want chicks. Kind of like fishing the shinier the lure the bigger the fish. JMO

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Man... high RPM riding, hitting the rev limiter,( NEVER been there done that) all that sounds like reckless and illegal riding to me. Next thing you advacate is breaking speed limits and hooligan behaiver on curvey and little traveled roads
nono.gif
bleh.gif
lol.gif
Changing oil every 2K, no matter how you ride is excessive IMO.
ohno-smiley02.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Full synthetic every 2000 miles? You have too much money I think. Change every 4000 and spend your extra money on tires, I'm pretty sure your eating them up quickly running around at 8000 RPMs. As Zilla said, don't worry, there's a rev limiter and I'm pretty sure hes found it a few times.

Man... high RPM riding, hitting the rev limiter,( NEVER been there done that) all that sounds like reckless and illegal riding to me. Next thing you advacate is braking speed limits and hooligan behaiver on curvey and little traveled roads
nono.gif
bleh.gif
lol.gif
Changing oil every 2K, no matter how you ride is excessive IMO.
ohno-smiley02.gif
Petey,

All of this hooligan behavior must be shocking to hear about from your FJRForum friends! I know you would never ride with anyone that acted like that!

rolleyes.gif

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to All
I've had my 2008 GenII for almost 2 years now. Only has 11,000 on the clock, most of which I've put on in the last few months. I have been changing the oil about every 2000 with ful syn 20-50. On my last few rides I find myself running in the 6-8000 RPM's (2nd and 3rd mostly) for extended periods. I do like the way the bike runs in that power range.

Aside from the obvious.....blowing it up....and "dont do that".... any thoughts on additives or anything else that might increase engine life and or performance.

Ho, Ho, Ho.............Merry Christmas

Don't ya just Love the Holidays,

To All, Be Good, Be Safe

Daniel
The most likely injury your bike may suffer is stripped threads on its oil drain plug.

I don't know nuthin bout rev limits but what I do know is that second gear will not surpass 92 mph.

Just sayin,

Latest posts