riding gear

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markkim12

Reaction score
I've done exstensive research on cold/wet weather riding gear and based on my ability to try on (locally) only a few different manufacturers stuff, I've got it down to First Gear Kilimanjaro or Kilimanjaro (sp?) Air. Up here in Oregon it rains quite a bit in the fall/winter/spring but doesn't get down into the 30's that much. With the full fairing on my '05 that could make a difference I guess. Which jacket do you think will best suit my needs? Advice on matching pants would be welcome also. You guys have the experience so I'm counting on your input. Thanks in advance. This foolishly is my first riding suit that factored in crash protection, and as such have that in my mind foremost while still affording some comfort and weather protection. Am I on the right track?

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought the regular Kilimanjaro. I tried on the Kilimanjaro Air but it had a rough edge on the collar that I could tell would end up rubbing my neck raw. I like the jacket pretty much except for the neck flap thing. It needs a snap to keep it out of folded back when it's hot out. It has a little strap to hold it back, but it doesn't work that well. The jacket definitely handles a wider temperature range then my old leather jacket plus keeps me a lot drier in the rain.

I've done exstensive research on cold/wet weather riding gear and I've got it down to First Gear Kilimanjaro or Kilimanjaro (sp?) Air. Up here in Oregon it rains quite a bit in the fall/winter/spring but doesn't get down into the 30's that much. Which jacket do you think will best suit my needs? Advice on matching pants would be welcome also.
I live in Eastern Washington and have both the First Gear Kili and the Kili Air. I think the Kili Air is the best all around jacket I have ever owned but I haven't ridden in the rain since last April except when I went to Seattle last week -- and I wore the regular Kili jacket on that trip and was glad I did. So if you ride in the rain and it gets cold rather than too hot, go for the regular Kili. The First Gear HT overpants are also fully waterproof and very warm with the liner in. You can be comforable in both up to about 85 degrees.

Check out Motoport kevlar gear. With liners it's warm and waterproof, without, it's the perfect summer clothing. Separate pants and jacket. One set of gear for all year long.

Add up what you'll spend for summer and winter clothes, figure in the superior protection, and this stuff is a bargain. Only material besides race quality leather that won't melt into your skin in a slide. I highly recommend it. No, I don't work there. I am merely a satisfied customer. Toecutter and others are also. Remember, ANY gear will work ok when you ride. You're dressing for the crash.This gear is really the shit.

Ride safe.

kevlar clicky

I have the Kili Air and am very pleased with it :rolleyes: - it's a good three season jacket and its waterproof with the liner in.

JW

Have the First Gear Kili Air, like it. Fanstastic outfit for a long ride where you will encounter a variety of weather over many days. Very good quality. The inner liner does a terrific job of stopping incoming cold air.

Have 3 or 4 rides in the rain, no wetty. But no test yet in downpour in stopped traffic so far. I may soon find out as it will be my main jacket through the winter in Boise to do short 20-minute daily commute. So far, very comfortable in the low 40s. Also, *comfortable* all the way up to low 90s, as long as you keep moving, of course.

An electric inner jacket to supplement (any riding jacket?) would be the way to go if you plan to ride more than an hour below 40 degrees.

Negatives: the color scheme of the Kili Air (patches) look mickey mouse IMO, except for the black. But you might want the jacket for hot weather duty--black absorbs heat. I found as long as I was moving, no problem. If you are a summer commuter in slow traffic, this color might not be so great. Also, the waist cut (either Kili) is a little too long for my 5'9 torso. The padding is not as stout as I would like, there are some upgrades available. You always hope the gear is thick enough...

Also have the Kili Air HT pants. So far, so good. Fairly easy to use, but as with anything with liner, sometimes a pain to swap out, carry around, etc. The standard HT pants would be better if Portland commuting this winter is your goal.

Well, enough confusion for now. Good luck, a lot of clever high-tech products out there, and the Kili is one of them!

Last edited by a moderator:
My kevlar is the "Ultra Mesh II" pants and jacket with the liners.