Riding Hill Country this Weekend

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AStar

Reaction score
This weekend looks like good weather in the Hill Country which is a good thing because I will be there in Hunt, Tx with the COG for their annual Wildflower Ride. Most riders will be staying at the River Inn Resort in Hunt. It is always a good time. If anybody wants more information just PM me.

Well the weather was great. There was a large turn out of riders on all kinds of bikes. We had Concours C10's and C14's, FJR's , BMW's, Honda's, a Ducati, and a Can-AM three wheel bike. We rode the three sisters and all points around. We had BBQ Saturday night at the River Inn Resort which was very good. There were some tasty beverages and conversation that was endless. It was probably the best Wildflower Ride in the last several years. Can't wait until next year.

Well the weather was great. There was a large turn out of riders on all kinds of bikes. We had Concours C10's and C14's, FJR's , BMW's, Honda's, a Ducati, and a Can-AM three wheel bike. We rode the three sisters and all points around. We had BBQ Saturday night at the River Inn Resort which was very good. There were some tasty beverages and conversation that was endless. It was probably the best Wildflower Ride in the last several years. Can't wait until next year.
you suck had a great time and I am green with envy so happy it was an enjoyable trip

I love riding there and the three 3's

Hope to get back sometime this year

Cheers,

Mike in Nawlins'

I'll be doing the twisted sisters next week for our annual Invitational Oilmans Hill Country Ride in Bandera. BEAUTIFUL area to ride and party. I was in Canyon Lake area weekend before last, and the bikes were buzzing like bees on the hill roads. If you havent had a chance to ride the hill country of texas, you owe it to yourself to make that trip.

I plan on being in the hill country in late July visiting the in-laws and I was wondering exactly what route you guys are referring to when you say the "three sisters" area. I am looking for some areas to ride while in that area.

I plan on being in the hill country in late July visiting the in-laws and I was wondering exactly what route you guys are referring to when you say the "three sisters" area. I am looking for some areas to ride while in that area.

The 3 sisters are hwy 335/336/337, just west of Kerrville and Bandera. These roads are considered to be the best motorcycling roads in Texas. They are very smooth, curvy, and have great views at most every turn. There is usually very little car/truck traffic on them. Weekends bring out tons of bikes on these roads. Watch out for the sport bikes that will blow by you at hyper speeds , even on tight curves! :blink: See my route map below for graphic.

3sisters.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

The 3 sisters are hwy 335/336/337, just west of Kerrville and Bandera. These roads are considered to be the best motorcycling roads in Texas. They are very smooth, curvy, and have great views at most every turn. There is usually very little car/truck traffic on them. Weekends bring out tons of bikes on these roads. Watch out for the sport bikes that will blow by you at hyper speeds , even on tight curves! :blink: See my route map below for graphic.

3sisters.jpg
I do appreciate your response. I will be staying outside of Montell so that ride is in a an very close to where I will be. Thanks again for the information.

Just a reminder. It will be blazing hot down there in late July. Add any heat coming off the bike and it makes for an uncomfortable ride. You'll be a tougher man than me. I go down there in the spring and fall.

GP

Just a reminder. It will be blazing hot down there in late July. Add any heat coming off the bike and it makes for an uncomfortable ride. You'll be a tougher man than me. I go down there in the spring and fall.
GP
Meow.... ;)

GP
Meow.... ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :huh:

I actually will be there in late June. Hopefully not as hot but do not have a choice in the time to visit. I can put up with the heat, I come from south Florida. I think the big difference will be that in that part of Texas I will not have to put up with torrential rain in addition to the heat and humidity like I have here in Florida at that time of the year.

I have been giving some thought to a ride out to Big Bend National Park. I have not been in that part of Texas in more than 25 years and would like to get back there. It seems that getting there would be a ride out US 90 which should be nice except for the temperature.

I have been giving some thought to a ride out to Big Bend National Park. I have not been in that part of Texas in more than 25 years and would like to get back there. It seems that getting there would be a ride out US 90 which should be nice except for the temperature.
Okay, now I get to do the meow thing... I was there for Memorial Day last year, and it was smokin' hot, so June may be rough. Mid 100s in most of the park, dropping to high 90s up by the Chisos Mountain Lodge and Campground. The Feejer air temp gauge actually showed 120 after we had parked it, (under shade), and gone into a park store to buy some beverages. Great place, but the middle months of the year are tough.

I just got back from a Big Bend area - Langtry - Hill Country ride yesterday (1900 miles). Except for some wild west Texas wind, hill country rain, and an old riding buddy not so much of buddy anymore, it was a fantastic ride and recommended. I also recommend the loop that goes around the McDonald observatory near Ft. Davis as well. The best thing about riding that area is that there few cars. Just wide open spaces, friendly West Texas faces (that move over out of your way whenever you pull in behind them) and buzzards. Even saw another FJR at Big Bend and saluted with the obligatory wave.

Lesson learned - Before you commit to a multi-day ride with a friend you haven't seen for twenty years, make sure you still actually like each other.

3sisters.jpg
I rode the Three Sisters today leaving from my home in Leon Springs TX (South of Boerne). Total was 274 miles in 5.5 hours. Boerne, Bandara, Medina and then picked up the route above. I had ridden portions of these roads before, but never the whole route. It was fabulous... Perfect day except for a little wind. Temp was 61F at start and about 74F at the end. This ride is everything people say it is- some of the best motorcycling around. Demanding in places and not for the beginner, but very rewarding if you keep your speed reasonable and keep you attention up. There are hazards, but nothing bad if you keep eyes ahead and anticipate. The road speeds vary from 10 to 70mph and everything in between. Fair amount of bikers out, but no traffic to speak of. FJR performed admirably as you would expect. I am very fortunate to live at the base of some of the best motorcycling roads in Texas. I have a "back way" to Medina that adds even more challenges... Starts at the back gate of my development so I don't even have to start on the access roads. The heat will start soon, think about riding the Sisters soon before its smokin hot out.

I don't get out to that part of the country very often and would really like to do the Langtry/Big Bend ride but the posts about the temperture in late June does have me re-thinking that trip.