Riding in New Zealand

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AGirlOnTheGo

Reaction score
Hello all you exceptionally savvy FJR riders,

I have the good fortune to be able go to New Zealand in February of 2013 and I would love suggested routes for either North or South island trips. I am considering only riding in the North, mostly due to time and then doing things hiking etc in the South. All ideas welcome...

All the best,

AGirlOnTheGo

Hello all you exceptionally savvy FJR riders,
Gee you know me well... ha ha just kidding. I envy you. Sorry to say I have not been there. This should be a wonderful trip. Perhaps you can find a NZ motorcyle forum and inquire there as well on the FJR Forum.

Here is a good article to wet your appetite.

Maybe this web site would be helpful or this one.

Happy roads!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! I'm hating you a little bit right now. :) The closest I've been to New Zealand was Perth Australia about a dozen times. From what I've heard, It's a wonderful place to ride. There are a few members here from that neck of the woods. They should be chiming in shortly. I'm sure you're going to have a Blast. Please send many pictures. :D

the roads in the north island are great but the roads in the south island are fantastic, it all depends how long you are riding a bike for and how much site seeing you want to do, i have a friend who has luckily enough for him ridden most of the great roads in the world from the USA to Europe ,Canada and Australia, south Africa etc and he still reckons the south island has some of the best roads for bikes in the world, but then he does live here, if was me i would tour the both islands, but it all depends how much time you have.

Hi AGirlOnTheGo,

If you do get to Perth, Australia be sure to get in touch. Hope you have a great trip, I bet you fall in love with New Zealand.

Best regards

Surly

:ph34r:

Back in 2009 I spent a month touring New Zealand on a KTM 990 Adventure I rented through GoTourNZ. It was a high-end tour and was pricey but it was also a trip of a lifetime. I spent two weeks touring the South Island with a group of six riders and then I spent two weeks on the North Island on the self-guided portion of my trip. Both Islands had lots to offer but if time was somewhat limited I would focus on the South Island myself. There is just so much to see & do on the South Island.

I did a ride report on ADV Rider that you can read here ...

Billy & the Great Pumpkin do New Zealand

1337921472[/url]' post='966044']Wow! I'm hating you a little bit right now. :) The closest I've been to New Zealand was Perth Australia about a dozen times. From what I've heard, It's a wonderful place to ride. There are a few members here from that neck of the woods. They should be chiming in shortly. I'm sure you're going to have a Blast. Please send many pictures. :D

Auh Majic don't be a hater...smiles
yahoo.gif

I promise to share photos! AGirlOnTheGo

1337936712[/url]' post='966057']Back in 2009 I spent a month touring New Zealand on a KTM 990 Adventure I rented through GoTourNZ. It was a high-end tour and was pricey but it was also a trip of a lifetime. I spent two weeks touring the South Island with a group of six riders and then I spent two weeks on the North Island on the self-guided portion of my trip. Both Islands had lots to offer but if time was somewhat limited I would focus on the South Island myself. There is just so much to see & do on the South Island.

I did a ride report on ADV Rider that you can read here ...

Billy & the Great Pumpkin do New Zealand
Wow, thank you!!! I will check it out. I may circle back for a bit of feedback.AGirlOnTheGo

1337922804[/url]' post='966048']This link may help with some ideas:

https://www.advrider....ghlight=zealand

https://www.advrider....ghlight=zealand
Cool thanks!,,

We were there in 2008 for three weeks on hired VFRs and had a great time. There's a ride report on our web site that was put together from emails we sent to family and friends while we were there; it may give you some ideas.

I have to echo what Yamafitter says - the roads on South Island are much better from a motorcycling point of view and it's less busy. The police are very hot on speeding and the fines can apparently be draconian.

Kevin

Make sure you smile when you pass a speed camera...some NZ'ers are quite proud of their "photo albums". ;)

I spent around 3 months in Wainuiomata (across the bay and over the hill from Wellington); the north island has some good roads and spectacular sights, but the south island takes the cake.

Did AGirlOnTheGo ever post a RR?

I considered starting a new thread about an impending trip to NZ in '17, and I still might.

By posting here though, I'm hoping AGirlOnTheGo will get notified as I think she's still "following" this thread and might contribute what her experiences were on her trip.

Did AGirlOnTheGo ever post a RR?
I considered starting a new thread about an impending trip to NZ in '17, and I still might.

By posting here though, I'm hoping AGirlOnTheGo will get notified as I think she's still "following" this thread and might contribute what her experiences were on her trip.
https://www.motorbikesnz.co.nz/Bike-Rentals-Harley-Tours-NZ%2FBikeRentals.asp Like you TripperMike, I also hope AGirlOnTheGo posts up her New Zealand Ride Report.

But if you plan to ride New Zealand on your own, without the assistance of a Tour Group such as Edelweiss or Ayres, I have a first hand recommendation for a rental agency.

My Son Seth (then age 8) and I first arrived in Christchurch (after the mandatory touchdown in Auckland) and rented from Bularangi Motor Bikes, did the same in Queenstown and Auckland.

We never made it to Wellington, but Bularangi Motor Bikes was excellent to work with. We never did an overnighter on our H-D Sportster, just returned to our base hotel nightly.

https://www.facebook.com/motorcyclerentalsnz

Just finished reading Billy F's RR....what can I say....WoWzers.

Talk about whetting the appetite.

I'll have to check into those bike rentals Don as well, but GoTourNZ looks doable price-wise and they line up the nightly accomodations.

This being a trip I'll be taking with my wife to celebrate her being dense enough to stay with me for 30 yrs., I want to make sure I do it up right.

the roads in the north island are great but the roads in the south island are fantastic, it all depends how long you are riding a bike for and how much site seeing you want to do, i have a friend who has luckily enough for him ridden most of the great roads in the world from the USA to Europe ,Canada and Australia, south Africa etc and he still reckons the south island has some of the best roads for bikes in the world, but then he does live here, if was me i would tour the both islands, but it all depends how much time you have.
I was in the Marlborough region several weeks ago touring a few wineries and a 2007 FJR passed out van. I see you are south of Christs Church. Were you by chance in the Marlborough area eveal week ago?

Art