Riding pants

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SRodgers

Reaction score
Looking for suggestions on riding pants. Taking a weeklong trip thru Colorado in early Sept. Durango to Fort Collins & back. All I've every worn are jeans, so would like some more protection.
What are your opinions on these. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Steve

Alpinestars Andes V3 Drystar

Klim Dakar Pants​

Alpinestars Bogota Drystar​

Tour Master Horizon Line Alpine Trek​

Thanks, I'll check it out. I have a nice jacket, just looking for some pants to go with it.

Last edited:
I got lucky several years ago when another forum member here had outgrown a pair of Aerostitch AD-1 riding pants that were just the right size for me. They're pricey if buying new but I've had these now for about 6-7 years and they are still holding up very well.

+1 on the AD-1s. Very comfy as both overpants or with just a base layer. Waterproof and not too hot. Easy on and off but I can stay in them while off the bike no problem. But - they'll cost ya.

You need some local advice on the weather and take that into account. But...

Klim is quality stuff. I've got a jacket I'm very happy with. I also have Alpinestars for cooler weather. I like them because they are waterproof so no need to pack rain gear. Having my experience with those 2 I wouldn't consider the third option.

The wife and I have a pair of mesh Joe rocket pants. Phoenix Ion for me and the Cleo for her. Easy in and out, we wear over normal clothes. Wear shorts on hot days and normal pants when cooler and simply the riding pants off when you get to a destination. Well under$200 a pair.

Klim's are more a dual sport or over the boot offroad pant. Not waterproof so would still need a rain layer, not really heavy protection for the street can get some knee pads in some (mine can). BUT pockets are good! vent zipper in front is pretty good, enough room inside for an insulation layer, you might have some cold mornings.

Quote "The wife and I have a pair of mesh Joe rocket pants. Phoenix Ion for me and the Cleo for her. Easy in and out, we wear over normal clothes. Wear shorts on hot days and normal pants when cooler and simply the riding pants off when you get to a destination. Well under$200 a pair."

Yup, I have a set of Cortech mesh gear. Nice and cool, but you need to drag along rain liners, get off the bike, take the suit off, zip in the rain liners, then get dressed again. Wore it for several years, and liked it a lot. But......
A couple years ago, I bit my lip, apologized to my checkbook, and rode up to Duluth and ordered an Aerostich R-3 one piece suit. The only thing that I've done that was smarter was to buy an FJR. The GoreTex is actually breathable (The R-3 is unlined, unlike the Classic Roadcrafter), and I find I don't even need to open up the vents until it's in the mid 80s. I have ridden in rain for several hundred miles at a time, and remained completely dry. And it's easier to take on and off than my two-piece Cortech suit. I am also completely certain that it would hold up better in case of a get-off. The material is DENSE, and I ordered the upgraded armor. It's ugly, clunky to walk around in, and draws derogatory comments, but once on the bike, it is magic. I know it will last decades, unlike my other gear (I have proof). And I stay cool and/or dry. Best move I have made in a lot of years.

That being said, go try stuff on and buy what you like. Good luck, and let us know what you decide.

Addition on Monday, August 29, 2022;

Just came back from a ride from northern Wisconsin to southeast Minnesota, about 260 miles each way. On the return ride, I rode in about 150 straight miles of rain; not downpours, and not "light" rain or drizzle, but just constant, steady medium rain. (Due to a technical glitch that happened on the ride, I did not raise my FJR windshield). Though my Aerostich is promised to be 100% waterproof (their words), I got soaked, pretty much from top to bottom. This was not a case of "crotch pool" or an incorrectly closed flap, vent, or zipper. From my neck to my knees, I was wet. Low 60s for temperature, and a near-constant 75 mph pace. I guess the material just reached a saturation point, and the GoreTex couldn't do what it's supposed to do. Don't get me wrong; I love my Aerostich, but at the price they ask, and the promised waterproof capability, I am disappointed. Staying dry while not having to f*ck around with liners or rainsuits was probably 50% of the reason I bought the suit. Heck, my two-piece zip-together leathers have better protection, and about the same water-proof-ness. I have cheap stuff that is not nearly as rugged, but has better water protection. I will still wear it, but I'm not sure what to do about wet rides yet. Time will tell.

Last edited:
I finally am swapping to a new Aerostich 2-piece Roadcrafter and using my prior one for 20+ years and 200K miles (between prior Concours and current FJR). And I was 2nd owner after medical issue forced prior owner to get newer, larger suit after barely using it.
So yea, pricey new, but fantastic versatile suits (I've ridden in snow, and in 120+F in Death Valley .. which was a stupid thing to do). And if one is patient, great condition used suits come up every so often. Though with the RoadCrafters, you have to be ok with looking like a Power Ranger, basically ;^)

Aerostich Roadcrafter jacket hidden tip is the Mfg date is handwritten inside front breast pocket. Not sure if same is done with pants

As noted above, part of this is your requirements?
rain? freezing temps?
aesthetic?
temperature vs protection? ie, is venting or protection more important?
Before Aerostich, and after minor abrasion skin loss, I'd picked up black leather pants to go with my leather jacket. Good protection, but miserably hot in SouthWest desert summer riding (hence Aerostich).

There are Jeans looking riding pants made of much more durable and weather-resistant material (ie will survive sliding down fwy)
so in part it depends on what look and function you are looking for/prioritize

As for other unrelated long-distance riding gear advice
- As a bicyclist, I recognized decades ago the benefit of (bi)cycling shorts (pad, breathability, etc) under riding pants to make more comfortable 10->12+ hours, 500+ mile riding days (ex my 8-day 3K+ mile Lap of California)
- in higher heat, an insulated slim hydration pack, filled with ice and water, under once's jacket does wonders both for drinking as well as spraying your shirt with cold water

Thanks for all the suggestions. Still looking, not that many shops have stuff to try on. They all say we can order it, well after sending back 3 different pairs that didn’t fit fight, very frustrating.

Just a thought but my wife is 115 5'0 I bought her a pair of built from cycle gear they fit pretty well and are waterproof

Thanks for all the suggestions. Still looking, not that many shops have stuff to try on. They all say we can order it, well after sending back 3 different pairs that didn’t fit fight, very frustrating.
Its 325 miles to Shallowater from Ft Worth. Motorcyclegear.com They have all their stuff in stock and you can try on pants there in the shop. Very nice folks. Just a little day trip on the FJR.
Klim sizing is pretty strange so they have them in stock to get the right fit by trying on.

Finding a good fit over internet is difficult

Motorcyclegear.com provides gear fitting reviews

Revzilla has good advise and free returns if needed