Riding with Replacement Parts

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Rich

Arrested Development
Reaction score
Many of us are approaching the age when stuff starts to wear out.... One could make a long list of the guys that have to stop for a "pee break" after an hour or so.... Not like the old days when you could ride almost forever. Knees, hips, wrists, and shoulders have a tendency to wear out with age. One has to wonder how Beemerdon and Niehart get to the taco stand and pie shop respectively.

My question for some of you that have had knee or hip replacements, did the new parts limit your ability to ride and to what extent. I have had my shoulder operated on twice and it has little affect on my ability to grip the handle bars or maneuver the bike. Now I am looking at a total hip replacement later this year and wondering if anyone has experience with this... Doctor says.... Your body is just starting to rot!

Had my left knee replaced 14 months ago and have found it's doing better than before as far as tolerating long rides on the FJR. But since the knee replacement, I've blown out a tendon in my left foot and screwed up something in my right shoulder, so it's a situation where stuff's breaking faster than the docs can fix it. I count myself lucky to be alive and able to get some riding in, after the way I've neglected this body. Hope you have a quick and relatively painless recovery and get back on two wheels as soon as practical.

I had a 20,000 dollar shoulder job done a year ago. Thank God for good insurance. They went in and scraped to remove calcium deposits and etc. After about 6 weeks of healing, I'm was good to go. Feels just like new now.

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
Ask Wendy

av-17196.jpg

or read all about it https://www.fjrforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=133210

Need a lighter helmet than before. Some slight restriction in looking over my right shoulder means making a point of twisting at the waist to do head checks before changing lanes than before. Sporty "look up" riding positions less tolerated. Other than that, it's okay.

surgery.jpg

In my case my parts started aggravating me at retirement age so I adjusted my length of time in the saddle. A big day now is 3-400 mi.

Need a lighter helmet than before. Some slight restriction in looking over my right shoulder means making a point of twisting at the waist to do head checks before changing lanes than before. Sporty "look up" riding positions less tolerated. Other than that, it's okay.
surgery.jpg
Ouch!