Riding without touching the bars

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just curious. Since installing the cruise on my bike I have the tendancy to sit back relax and take my hands off the bars. I can ride for MILES and never touch the grips on the long slabs. Changing lanes and intersate curves are no problem. Now the question. Why won't the state give me a breeding license?
:unknw:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have done it from time to time on my previous bike...it was straight as an arrow. My FJR starts going left within seconds. What could be the cause of that?
On a serious note, try loosening the axels and pinch bolts, and re-torquing in the correct sequence.

Not to hijack the thread, but while I'm riding with no hands I like to take my revolver out the tank bank...unloaded of course....and put the end in my mouth and dry fire it.
How safe is this? Looking for your $0.02!

Inquiring minds want to know!

:glare:
Thanks for making me laugh out loud! At work!

I have done it from time to time on my previous bike...it was straight as an arrow. My FJR starts going left within seconds. What could be the cause of that?

FJR's are prone to penile inertia effect. I suggest adjusting your package to the right. You know the old saying "swing right, ride straight" B)
HAHAHAHA!!!!! I will give that a shot, but I'm guessing my little guy isn't going to affect things much! :blink:

Is Darwin God?

Since he died back in 1882 I'm guessing that he might be a bit ripe by now. Not sure I'd want to meet him. :blink:

God spelled backwards is Dog. Coincidence? :unsure:

Is Darwin God?
Would you prefer I re-phrase that as who would be "sleeping with the fishes" first?

t-rex-fish.jpg

Now that you've got it down, the logical next step is standing up to stretch your legs, a'la Indian Larry.

Indian-Larry-on-Motorcycle.jpg

Hey, if you feel comfortable with this, roll on, bro. It's your life.

Me? I *could* do it forever, but I like to have my hands on the bars in case something unexpected shows up in the roadway. Evasive action and all that sissy stuff.

:clapping:

Good one Fred.

I admit to sitting on the passenger seat and riding 'no hands' just to stretch out and change position when needed. Steering is easy with subtle weight shift. Of course when I had my last Storm on front, head shake wouldn't allow hands free operation below 50mph, but with a normal fron tire hands free is fine.

No big deal, IMHO. When I was a kid i'd ride my ten speed for miles while practicing 'look ma, no hands!". At night. Sometimes stoned. Never crashed that I can recall.

Safe? Safe is a relative term. You are never safe, it's all a matter of your willingness to accept/avoid risk.

I would guess sitting back with your hands off the bars would add, IDK, maybe as much as 4 seconds to your reaction time. Thats, what... 117 feet per second at 80 MPH. Add in the normal 3 seconds and your looking at ~820 feet before you can get on the breaks. Another, 180 feet to stop, if your lucky and good. So, a deer comes out across the interstate 2/10ths of a mile ahead of you (and you see it) your done.

Safe? Safe is a relative term. You are never safe, it's all a matter of your willingness to accept/avoid risk.
I would guess sitting back with your hands off the bars would add, IDK, maybe as much as 4 seconds to your reaction time. Thats, what... 117 feet per second at 80 MPH. Add in the normal 3 seconds and your looking at ~820 feet before you can get on the breaks. Another, 180 feet to stop, if your lucky and good. So, a deer comes out across the interstate 2/10ths of a mile ahead of you (and you see it) your done.
I bet yur an engineer a sum kind, ain't ya?

:p

Nope, just a little basic math and guess work.

And it's not like I don't let go of the bars and stretch out from time to time when slowing for a light or something.

When I was a kid i'd ride my ten speed for miles while practicing 'look ma, no hands!".
Yeah, ten speed. I had one of them. Actually have one still down in the basement. Now they just call 'em "road bikes". I guess 'cause you never know how many speeds they're gonna have? :unsure: also because there was no such thing as a Mountain bike back then. They were all road (rode?) bikes.

At night. Sometimes stoned. Never crashed that I can recall.
Not so lucky here. Well, lucky enough to be RWS, not so lucky not to ever crash doing so.

But the good part is it didn't hurt all that much. :rolleyes:

Youth... it's surely wasted on all them young bastids. ;)

No. We engineers know how to spell "brakes". [pa-dum-pumb]