Rifle Tuning block vs. Skyway windshield spacers?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puppychow

RAWR
Reaction score
I put a Rifle touring windshield on the bike yesterday (came with the bike when I bought it but was not installed), took it for a ride today and I notice back pressure wind on the back of my neck and turbulence at the top of my helmet even at 50mph and it just gets worse from then on - at 80mph it is just down right annoying!

I did my searches on the forum and found two solutions to my problem described below - I would just like to hear some opinions on which one the riders prefer over the other..

What say you? Rifle tuning block? or Skyway windshield spacers?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
The reason I am asking is because I read some forum comments about the Rifle tuning block causing windshield failure, where some mounting screws broke off causing the windshield to flap around, has this issue been resolved with Rifle?

I also read somewhere that Skyway is now out of business and I realize now that there is no love for Skyway on this forum anymore since some people apparently lost some money with them, but their website is still up and they were offering the windshield spacers, just wondering though if they are maybe still in business and if those spacers they offer are any better than the tuning block.

Any inputs would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Contact forum member ftompa. He has made a few tuning blocks very similar to the rifle ones but with longer stainless screws. Also, FWIW you can't buy just the tuning blocks from Rifle.

I know nothing about rifle shields. Skyway is no longer a preferred vendor for several dozen very good reasons, and I won't say more than that.

I have his spacers on my Yammie touring shield and they work well. There is a thread with people cutting their own spacers to length. It isn't brain science (if it works with Rifle shields and you have a FJR that allows spacing). You could also go to the hardware store and buy some properly sized stainless washers and use them. Cheaper and others made it work. You can customize the amount of angle that way as well by removing and adding washers.

P.S. I'm running the spacers because they came free with a used shield I bought off a forum member.

Thank you for the ideas ShinyPartsUp, I will figure out what works for me, if not I will send ftompa a PM. Off to Home Depot...

Fred W - Rifle is apparently selling the Tuning block separately for $49, however I didn't want to buy it if the screws breaking off issue has not been satisfactorily resolved. I don't fancy being decapitated by the windshield (or anything else for that matter).

https://www.rifle.com/stores/showdetl.cfm?&...#39;03-'05)

Fred W - Rifle is apparently selling the Tuning block separately for $49, however I didn't want to buy it if the screws breaking off issue has not been satisfactorily resolved. I don't fancy being decapitated by the windshield (or anything else for that matter).
puppychow,

If the bolts worry you, buy the next stouter version at the local Ace Hardware. I must've missed the thread discussing bolt failure.

I have done the home-built spacers (I think 5/16" nylon washers) and the Rifle tuning block with my stock shield. The tuning block is quite a bit better. Neither "tuning system" works with my CeeBailey shield, however, so I have a used Rifle shield coming this week.

If you'd like to try the Rifle tuning block before you purchase one for use with your Rifle touring shield, PM me and you can have a test run - Looks like we live all of 20 minutes apart and I won't be using the tuning block until my new-used shield arrives Friday or Saturday.

RsvlFeej

I put a Rifle touring windshield on the bike yesterday (came with the bike when I bought it but was not installed), took it for a ride today and I notice back pressure wind on the back of my neck and turbulence at the top of my helmet even at 50mph and it just gets worse from then on - at 80mph it is just down right annoying!
I did my searches on the forum and found two solutions to my problem described below - I would just like to hear some opinions on which one the riders prefer over the other..

What say you? Rifle tuning block? or Skyway windshield spacers?

Thanks!
No experience/knowledge on the Skyway.

As for Rifle, I'm on an '08 with a Rifle I bought used (but only a year old, barely used if at all). I've put 10k miles on the FJR/Rifle in 8 months - no issues.

On my Concours, I put 80k+ of the 100k+ miles I put on that bike using a Rifle. I have nothing but things to say about the company and their product

I've got a set of the Skyway spacers here that I'm not using. Let me know if you wanna try'em out and compare them to the tuning block. If you like'em I'll sell'em cheap.

I initially used nylon spacers on my windshield but began reading abt failures w/ the nylon spacers installed. I ordered stainless steel spacers from McMaster-Carr.

Using the SS spacers and the Cal-Sci cutouts reduced back pressure and turbulence.

I'm happy w/ this set-up.

The issues with the screws failing was that people did not use the screws rated for outside weather conditions. If you use stainless steal screws you won't have a problem. Check them once in a while. It doesn't matter if you get the tuning block or the spacers check the screws once in a while like when you change shields for summer and winter.

I initially used nylon spacers on my windshield but began reading abt failures w/ the nylon spacers installed. I ordered stainless steel spacers from McMaster-Carr.
Using the SS spacers and the Cal-Sci cutouts reduced back pressure and turbulence.

BP: Do you have the McMaster-Carr part numbers handy? Thanks.

BP: Do you have the McMaster-Carr part numbers handy? Thanks.
Sorry, I don't have the part numbers anymore but, IIRC, they were pretty easy to find on the site. I think I ordered SS screws at the same time.

EDIT: Try this...McMaster-Carr SS Spacers

The reason I am asking is because I read some forum comments about the Rifle tuning block causing windshield failure, where some mounting screws broke off causing the windshield to flap around, has this issue been resolved with Rifle?
I also read somewhere that Skyway is now out of business and I realize now that there is no love for Skyway on this forum anymore since some people apparently lost some money with them, but their website is still up and they were offering the windshield spacers, just wondering though if they are maybe still in business and if those spacers they offer are any better than the tuning block.

Any inputs would be appreciated!

Thanks!
I have some Skyway spacers. Call me if you are interested. 707-224-9262.

Jeff

Comparo in the fully raised position:

Rifle windshield w/ tuning block - thank you RsvlFeej for letting me try it out.

IMG_2885Large.jpg

Rifle windshield w/ skyway spacers - got these in the mail today from dbx, I have not ridden with them yet, will have to wait for the storms to pass.

IMG_2886Large.jpg

So as you can see, the rifle tuning block actually spaces the shield out at the bottom more than the Skyway spacers do (did?).

My personal experience is the same as the first picture, that with the windshield fully up and rifle tuning block installed, the shield is only parallel to the nose faring. Any lesser spacer has the shield angle angled further toward vertical and going beyond parallel. Having a steep windshield angle is part of what causes the back-pressure and heavy turbulence.

The other place that you'll see a big difference is the angle with the shields all the way down. With the tuning block on, the shield can go much flatter, which is nice with a small (stock) windshield in the summer months.

PS - thanks for the note about Rifle now selling the blocks alone. THat seems to be a new development. But man, they are pretty proud of those things... :unsure: :rolleyes:

Rode today with the Skyway spacers and Rifle touring windshield. I am 5'11" tall and I will say the skyway spacers are good till about 65 mph, anything over that, say at 80mph and the back pressure will make you feel recognizably more pressure on your wrists and back which although no cause for immediate concern would mean PAIN on long rides. The turbulence both on the top of your helmet and on your upper back will be significant and very annoying between 70-80 mph and above.

I had tried the Tuning block past weekend on the BBB ride and I had none of the problems mentioned above. There was slight turbulence over the top of my helmet, but I did not feel any back pressure at all.

The spacers are a definite improvement over nothing at all, but they are not a good solution for hours of riding, the space under the windshield is pathetic in stock configuration, but even with skyway spacers there is just not enough space under the windshield to flow more air underneath and decrease the back pressure at higher speed.

VERDICT:

Rifle tuning block = YAY!

Skyway Spacers = NAY! (At least not for a honking touring windshield).

I will be ordering a Rifle tuning block soon, if anyone has a spare which they would like to part with, please consider selling it to me!

Thanks!

Sam

So as you can see, the rifle tuning block actually spaces the shield out at the bottom more than the Skyway spacers do (did?).
My personal experience is the same as the first picture, that with the windshield fully up and rifle tuning block installed, the shield is only parallel to the nose faring. Any lesser spacer has the shield angle angled further toward vertical and going beyond parallel. Having a steep windshield angle is part of what causes the back-pressure and heavy turbulence.

The other place that you'll see a big difference is the angle with the shields all the way down. With the tuning block on, the shield can go much flatter, which is nice with a small (stock) windshield in the summer months.

PS - thanks for the note about Rifle now selling the blocks alone. THat seems to be a new development. But man, they are pretty proud of those things... :unsure: :rolleyes: