Rifle windshield compatable with V-strom handguards?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevin98208

Reaction score
I tried a Rifle windshield and saw that is gets very close to the throttle/clutch levers at full lock. Would handguards still fit? Anyone have a +4 width Rifle windshield and handguards attached?

Yes, the left side V-Strom handguard hits the Rifle Windscreen when the bars are turned full lock to the right. However, the windscreen gives a bit and just moves forward enough to accomodate the full lock turn to the right.

I am also using a Helibars Tour Performance Top Clamp

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had them both for year now and my startup drill is to raise the screen half way up before starting, thats my normal riding position anyway
smile.png
(some day I'll disable the auto retract, maybe when I wash it next...)

I just trimmed (sob) my +4 +5 in order to clear the V-Strom guards at full lock for parking lot maneuvers. I am sure handlebar risers changed the trim required. It no longer is a straight-sided Rifle fairing. The profile echoes the OE windshield but is about 2 inches wider. Just took it for a ride yesterday and am happy with it. Although I do not believe I sacrificed much protection, there is some difference. Still, now I can exit Starbucks.

This probably varies 1st gen to 2nd gen, but I do have a Rifle Touring on the supplied tuning block in the cold months. Getting ready to put it back on pretty soon. I also run and a set of Heli Bar risers on my '05 (full time, of course). If the shield is lowered fully there is a great deal of interference with the Vstrom hand guards. But generally, during the kind of weather that I need the jumbo shield I need it to be raised at least half way anyway. And I deleted the silly self lowering windshield option a loooong time ago.
wink.png

FWIW the Vstrom guards foul the Cee Bailey shield I run in the summer months (also on the rifle tuning block) if lowered fully. The tuning block allows the shield to go way down no matter which one it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahh thats it! I was wondering "what interference?" I hadn't tried turning lock to lock with the shield down. To the OP, You might consider disabling auto retract.

I have the Rifle +4 (wider) on my '06 with the V-strom handguards. There was conflict at full lock. I removed about 1-1/4" on each side, more or less replicating the profile of the OEM shield. Measurement was a little tricky because the curve of the shields differ and the Rifle bracket changes both the bottom offset and shield angle. I think a +2 would fit without alteration.