Right Rear Light is OUT. No signal indicators work? What?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yamanick

Reaction score
The running lights come on except the rear right light. Bulb is fine. Cleaned out socket. No go. Where to from here I wonder?? Bad socket? Bad switch? Wiring? Bad what? Where would you start elsewhere? Thanks

You know the bulb is fine because you swapped it with the other one, or just because it looks OK and you can't see a break in the filament? Not being obnoxious, just making sure...

Just the taillight that doesn't work, or the brake light, too?

Your thread title says no signal indicators work, but your post doesn't mention turn signals.

If my memory still works.?? Tail light harness is separate from main harness. There is a connector on left side wayyyyyy back on sub-frame . Clutch side.

I had an alarm system and it plugged into harness there. Check that area if all else fails.

Since my post I noticed that the left running light is not working as well. Not a bulb issue. Took off tank and checked connectors. I do have a signal minder wired in but replaced it and that didn't fix it. Has to be a connection somewhere. I took the indicator switch and examined it. Horn, windshield....all work. Had a buddy check connections with voltmeter. Power is good. Could be the switch on handlebar but just weird that rear lights are off and front lights are on but no signal function anywhere. Electrical is my nemesis. Buddy is going to take his handlebar switch and try it on mine. Don't know what else.

You didn't specify miles, but if a high-mileage FJR or one that has been in a tougher environment (e.g. wet or salty) the worst scenarios involve loose or corroded connectors and/or wiring harness wear-through. At 160,000 I had turn signals go wonky and eventually wore through other circuits. But, I don't want to be alarmist...

You should work the obvious stuff out including checking fuses, considering returning to stock without the signal minder, etc.