RIP Officer Larry W Canfield

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyler

Miss Demeanor
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
A Sacramento Sheriff Deputy, Officer Larry W Canfield, under contract to the City of Rancho Cordova Police, was killed today on his police motorcycle. He's been in several of the moto competitions this year. He leaves behind a wife and two small boys. A 79 year old turned in front of him, when he was running red lights/siren. Godspeed to him, condolences to his family and colleagues.

https://www.kcra.com/news/17966653/detail.html

Last edited by a moderator:
He leaves behind a wife and two small boys. A 79 year old turned in front of him, when he was running red lights/siren.
:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

If LIGHTS and a SIREN couldn't save this poor LEO, what possible prayer do regular motorcyclists have....?

He leaves behind his wife and two children, both of whom are under 10 years old.
:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

RIP, young Deputy.....

17968560.jpg

Very very sad, sorry for his family, I can't even imagine how much their hearts are hurting, my condolances to his entire family.

Jeff

Very sad for all concerned. Particularly sad for his widow and children. What a tragic loss!

That can be a particularly dangerous, busy part of a 4-lane, shared-center left turn lane, road, IIRC, 45 mph speed limit. The court is the main road in an apartment complex that is the Eastern border to Mills Junior High School.

If LIGHTS and a SIREN couldn't save this poor LEO....
Yeah...or even loud pipes. :unsure:

....what possible prayer do regular motorcyclists have....?
Don't trust anyone at any time! :( :angry2: :( :angry2: :( :angry2:

My prayers go out to this officer's wife and young children...they are gonna need all the help they can get for a VERY long time. :(

My condolences to his fellow officers who are shocked, saddened and angered by this senseless loss of life.

Finally my salute and respects are given to an officer who risked life and limb and lost while rushing to the aid of those in need...salute.

:(

, when he was running red lights/siren. https://www.kcra.com/news/17966653/detail.html
Probably one of those " I didn't see him " things,,,,,,,,,,,, WTF ,,,, :angry2:
We should all take a breath and wait before jumping to conclusions.

According to what I read today, the citizen was in process of making a left turn. That particular roadway is 2 lanes each direction with a shared turn lane in the middle. The officer, in pursuit of another vehicle, and at speed, decided to pass the turning automobile on the left. IOW, it sounds like the motor officer hit the left turning car on the left side as they were turning into a church driveway.

If true, that means the officer must have gone far left to pass the turning auto. The impact sheared the front wheel and part of the suspension from the motorcycle. The newspaper (Sacramento Bee) reported that a first responder at the scene said he must have died instantly.

SOOOooo, my friends and riding companions, it sounds like this is NOT a case of someone turning in front of the motorcycle (Gee, I didn't see him-syndrome).

The CHP has offered the expertise of their "major accident" investigation team.

And it is still a very sad tragedy for everyone involved.

A tragedy indeed -- :-(

And only 500 yards from another motorcycle cop accident 3 years ago that left Officer Woodell paralyzed.

Deb and I remember buying Starbucks and muffins for Officer Canfield and a partner just a few months ago -- . He and his family are in our thoughts.

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

If LIGHTS and a SIREN couldn't save this poor LEO, what possible prayer do regular motorcyclists have....?

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

RIP, young Deputy.....

So true. It proves that speed kills no matter how many lights you have. Going fast on any road that the public can use is deadly. No provisions for an off.

I see YouTube videos all the time and I cringe.

Sad to lose a fellow motorcyclist and one with supreme skills. RIP

The newspaper (Sacramento Bee) reported that a first responder at the scene said he must have died instantly.
He did not die instantly. According to some of the motor officers in Portland who trained with and knew this deputy, the accident ripped off his leg at the hip and he bled out at the scene. That's not instant.

The newspaper (Sacramento Bee) reported that a first responder at the scene said he must have died instantly.
He did not die instantly. According to some of the motor officers in Portland who trained with and knew this deputy, the accident ripped off his leg at the hip and he bled out at the scene. That's not instant.
Scott, I wasn't trying to minimize his injuries or the tragedy of the event. Lord knows you who wear that uniform witness more danger and stupidity in a week than most of us will ever see in a lifetime.

Obviously, information and reports are available to you that we average semi-law abiding citizens are allowed to study.

From the first reactions to the reports of a left-turning automobile it was assumed the vehicle turned in front of the approaching officer. The newspaper reports it differently. What does the official report state? Having driven "code-3" vehicles while in the Navy, I know people have really peculiar reactions to the emergency vehicle behind them and the speed differential is difficult to gauge for the speeding emergency vehicle as they approach the vehicles ahead of them.

Mike, I wasn't challenging you in any way, I was just commenting that he didn't die instantly (which, if you're gonna die, is unfortunate). I don't have the official story, just rumor through the LE pipeline. I have heard that the cage driver will likely not be charged, so that's an indicator that your paper may be close to the mark.

Police Officer's Prayer to St. Michael

Saint Michael, heaven's glorious commissioner of police,

who once so neatly and successfully cleared God's premises

of all its undesirables, look with kindly and professional

eyes on your earthly force.

Give us cool heads, stout hearts, and uncanny flair for

investigation and wise judgement.

Make us the terror of burglars, the friend of children and

law-abiding citizens, kind to strangers, polite to bores,

strict with law-breakers and impervious to temptations.

You know, Saint Michael, from your own experiences

with the devil that the police officer's lot on earth is not

always a happy one; but your sense of duty that so

pleased God, your hard knocks that so surprised the

devil, and your angelic self-control give us inspiration.

And when we lay down our night sticks, enroll us in your

heavenly force, where we will be as proud to guard the

throne of God as we have been to guard the city of all

the people. Amen

God speed, Officer Larry Canfield

My deepest condolences to the family and friends of this brave man.

Latest posts