Riser Adviced Needed - do I need extra height or just pullback?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FB1

Reaction score
Hi, I just stepped up from my '98 Honda Magna cruiser to a new 2008 FJR. I love the FJR but my right wrist starts to go numb after 20-30 minutes and I get a bit of left shoulder/neck pain (I've got some bad discs in my neck). Yes, I've done the searches on the forum, and have read lots of threads on the various risers... I'm looking at the Helibars triple tree. I really like the idea of getting the handlebar grips further back toward my short stubby self, as well as rotating the angle forward a little bit. I'm aware of the Group Buy on the Helibars.

I'm 5'9", 29" inseam, 32/33 sleeve length, 220 lbs. I've never had risers on my prior 2 cruisers.

Helibars Standard - 1-3/4" pullback, 1/2" rise $288

Helibars with separate riser blocks - 1-3/4" pullback, 1-1/4" rise. $347

My question - is the extra riser height intended for riders of my average stature, or is it more intended for tall riders to get the bars higher up? If I don't need or want the height, the $288 Helibar might be best. If you guys think I need the added riser height, I will order it with the riser blocks as well. Jennifer at Helibars will let me order both and return the riser blocks if I don't need them. Still, I'd rather order and install the best option first.

Note: I have a Corbin seat coming today to help lower me so I can be a bit more flat-footed. I'll definitely try to ride it with the Corbin before pulling the trigger on the riser to see if it makes a difference to my wrist. The lower seat would presumably make the handlebar feel slightly higher.

I would really appreciate those with greater experience weighing in on the height question for my size/shape. Thoughts, recommendations, cautions, help, comments, ridicule? thanks, guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, I just stepped up from my '98 Honda Magna cruiser to a new 2008 FJR. I love the FJR but my right wrist starts to go numb after 20-30 minutes and I get a bit of left shoulder/neck pain (I've got some bad discs in my neck). Yes, I've done the searches on the forum, and have read lots of threads on the various risers... I'm looking at the Helibars triple tree. I really like the idea of getting the handlebar grips further back toward my short stubby self, as well as rotating the angle forward a little bit. I'm aware of the Group Buy on the Helibars.

I'm 5'9", 29" inseam, 32/33 sleeve length, 220 lbs. I've never had risers on my prior 2 cruisers.

Helibars Standard - 1-3/4" pullback, 1/2" rise $288

Helibars with separate riser blocks - 1-3/4" pullback, 1-1/4" rise. $347

My question - is the extra riser height intended for riders of my average stature, or is it more intended for tall riders to get the bars higher up? If I don't need or want the height, the $288 Helibar might be best. If you guys think I need the added riser height, I will order it with the riser blocks as well. Jennifer at Helibars will let me order both and return the riser blocks if I don't need them. Still, I'd rather order and install the best option first.

Note: I have a Corbin seat coming today to help lower me so I can be a bit more flat-footed. I'll definitely try to ride it with the Corbin before pulling the trigger on the riser to see if it makes a difference to my wrist. The lower seat would presumably make the handlebar feel slightly higher.

I would really appreciate those with greater experience weighing in on the height question for my size/shape. Thoughts, recommendations, cautions, help, comments, ridicule? thanks, guys.
Your in the exact same situation that i was in, except i'm a little shorter. Go with the heli triple clamp with the heli riser blocks. The more pressure you can take off those wrists, the better off you'll be. The corbin will help you somewhat also, but i recommend all 3 (corbin, heli, heli risers) to maximize your chances of success. You wont be sorry.

GreyGoose

It's possible that a contributor to the numbness in your wrist may be the exceptionally stout throttle spring on the FJR. There are numerous threads that will walk you through the process to release the spring "one turn" and create a significant reduction in the amount of force needed to keep the throttle open. Good luck with your riser experimentation, I hope you can find a "sweet spot" so your neck and shoulder does not bother you when you ride.

Also consider that as you add a riser that results in a more upright riding position, you generally tend to poke your head further up into the windstream....which can create another issue altogether.

+1 what Joe said. Since you say it is only your right wrist, it may not be due to the bar position as much as having to grip the crap outta that throttle. Could try a throttle rocker and see if that helps.

Definitely do the throttle spring unwind mod. That combined with the Heli should make you very comfortable. I am 6'2" and have the heli with the risers but I put my bars in the forward position on the Heli because they were too far back for me. The risers are cheap so try them out. If they don't work out put them up for sale here.

Thanks guys for all of the good input.

Yeah, the throttle is too stiff, no doubt. The first time I rode it (10 days ago) the throttle stiffness caused my hand to hurt, because I had to grip it so tight to overcome the throttle spring. I will probably do the throttle spring unwind (1 turn on the throttle body, right?) when the helibar is installed. Yes, I do have a wide Crampbuster on the throttle. I think the longer narrow one was a little better

I've still gotta install my auxiliary FuzeBlock for various minor farkles, starting with my Zumo plus a Battery Tender connector. I'll do the wiring stuff after the Helibar is done.

I have the new TechMount installed for the Gamin Zumo. The mount is pretty sweet. Do you know if this still fits alright with the new riser and riser blocks?

Last edited by a moderator: