Road trips to Seattle from near Niagara Falls area, any one have preferred routes ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikesgts1000

Reaction score
I'm planning on heading out west in a couple of weeks from the Niagara Falls area, thought I'd try to go south of Lake Erie and around the bottom of Lake Michigan then maybe up towards Hyway 2 around Duluth and follow it over west. Or could follow Hyway 90 across and visit Yellowstone park on the trip, then onto Seattle and then up to Vancouver BC. Any suggestions for alternatives? I was going to run across in Canada but they seem to have a lot of Hyway damage due to flooding over the last month or so so feel it best to forget that for now! (See below three route possibilities.) it's looking more like the northern route with a few side trips into state parks!

Attachments

• C2439E1B-7DA6-4B80-A805-3FD3BBFF1C2B.jpeg
    C2439E1B-7DA6-4B80-A805-3FD3BBFF1C2B.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:
I would probably avoid the larger cities. Cross the border at Sarnia and go through Michigan to the Upper Peninsula. Head west through South Dakota (Black Hills, Badlands), Wyoming (Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Beartooth Hwy), Montana/Idaho and Washington. With Glacier NP, Hwy 20, and almost anywhere in the Pacific NW you won't run out of things to see. Go to Google Maps and search for National Parks and National Monuments for SD, MT, WY, ID, WA.

Add Colorado to your list while you're at it!

How much time so you have to get there?

Edit: Stay off the Interstates unless you have to get from Point A to Point B in as short a time as possible. Too much great scenery you would miss.

Thanks for the info and the advice to stay away from interstates, I normally stay off them unless I hit bad weather and then just use them to cover off miles to next planed stop. I'll check my maps and see how close that is to the more northern roads I had marked off.

Heading west on Highway 2 does the trick. Once you're through ND and eastern MT, it gets a lot more interesting! Plenty of side trips to consider, really depends on how much time is available. Easy to drop south and detour through Yellowstone, plus you'll see more of MT. I'd avoid I-90 at all costs...

~G

All depends on the amount of time you have. You could easily spend a month getting there if you had that luxury. Regarding the interstates, I use them if I have to make time and (like you) to reduce the duration of the misery of riding in inclement weather when you can't see scenery anyway.

I'm sure you will get some more recommendations but you really can't go wrong in that part of the US. Make sure you do some of the Canadian Rockies in BC and AB on the way back. Some great riding in south- central BC. I assume your travel doesn't coincide with CFR in Nakusp June 23-26?

I'm planning on heading out west in a couple of weeks from the Niagara Falls area, thought I'd try to go south of Lake Erie and around the bottom of Lake Michigan then maybe up towards Hyway 2 around Duluth and follow it over west. Or could follow Hyway 90 across and visit Yellowstone park on the trip, then onto Seattle and then up to Vancouver BC. Any suggestions for alternatives? I was going to run across in Canada but they seem to have a lot of Hyway damage due to flooding over the last month or so so feel it best to forget that for now!
US Highway 2 is a great ride. I took that route to

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho.

I'm planning on heading out west in a couple of weeks from the Niagara Falls area, thought I'd try to go south of Lake Erie and around the bottom of Lake Michigan then maybe up towards Hyway 2 around Duluth and follow it over west. Or could follow Hyway 90 across and visit Yellowstone park on the trip, then onto Seattle and then up to Vancouver BC. Any suggestions for alternatives? I was going to run across in Canada but they seem to have a lot of Hyway damage due to flooding over the last month or so so feel it best to forget that for now!
US Highway 2 is a great ride through open spaces. I took that road to

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho.

Heading west on Highway 2 does the trick. Once you're through ND and eastern MT, it gets a lot more interesting! Plenty of side trips to consider, really depends on how much time is available. Easy to drop south and detour through Yellowstone, plus you'll see more of MT. I'd avoid I-90 at all costs...

~G
Thanks for the advice on skipping the main interstate Hyways like I-90 like the look of highway 2 and taking side trips of to view some of the parks and interesting roads. I've tried not to limit my time so can keep flexible on where to do stop overs if I find good spots. Thanks for your input, thought Dakota and Montana would have been nice but seems you say it's better once through to the west side!

All depends on the amount of time you have. You could easily spend a month getting there if you had that luxury. Regarding the interstates, I use them if I have to make time and (like you) to reduce the duration of the misery of riding in inclement weather when you can't see scenery anyway.

I'm sure you will get some more recommendations but you really can't go wrong in that part of the US. Make sure you do some of the Canadian Rockies in BC and AB on the way back. Some great riding in south- central BC. I assume your travel doesn't coincide with CFR in Nakusp June 23-26?
Yes I had planed to make the return trip up through Canada, was a little worried if all would be fixed up in the centre areas that had all the recent flooding and roads washed out and lots of damage! That's why I changed my out route to riding through the northern States, I'll be checking weather and adjusting once I set off back.

Attachments

• 58485007-E5EC-4B9D-8D50-9C937DBBCC47.jpeg
    58485007-E5EC-4B9D-8D50-9C937DBBCC47.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 2

~G
Looking more like that Highway 2 is sounding better each day as things are warming up! Looks like I'll be heading out next Monday, thanks again for the info. Looking like rain next Monday and Tuesday so may hold back a day and see if it clears up, I don't mind riding in the rain but hate to start off in it, I was brought up in the North West of England so used to the wet!

Attachments

• E103E25D-84F7-4264-809C-32F7E2AD946F.jpeg
    E103E25D-84F7-4264-809C-32F7E2AD946F.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I'd like to weigh in on your hi-lighted routes and ask the question of Washington State FJRers' as to the value of including the loop of the Olympic Peninsula in your plans. My complaints are ferry crossings, single lanes, large animals, and cagers for the risk/reward equation. I also ask locals if a preferred replacement is merited?

Thanks, Mikesgts1000, for sharing your plans.