Rodents !! How to get rid of them

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jalingo

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Hi La Famille, is been a while for me , hope everybody doing good

Thread title say it all !!

How to get rid of small mouses ?
Few weeks ago They started a nest on the back of my Fjr and start eating the air filter on my k16 šŸ˜”
Luckily no wires chewed or so !

I managed to put some traps all around the bikes , sticky pads under the seat ā€¦. But I live with the fear of nibbled wires ,

Canā€™t fully wrap the bike , that causes condensation right ?

šŸ™šŸ¼šŸ™šŸ¼šŸ™šŸ¼

Bounce sheets as a repellent. They hate the smell. Makes the garage smell nice too. Just tuck them around the bike and under seat. Leave an open box sitting in garage.

Mice need to get water every day, so they leave the nest daily. They navigate primarily by scent. Some strong peppermint scent usually works to confuse them so they can't find their trails and causes them to move on.

Also, they can't regurgitate. A ring of lime around your vehicle will cause them to get it on their feet and then they lick it off and that usually finishes them off.

In my garage I put a couple of traps near the sides of the garage doors. I use peanut butter as bait. That way I get them on their way in and out. My garage is in the basement under the living quarters. I snag quite a few mice each year in those traps, mostly this time of year. Since I have been doing that I have not had mice in the rest of the house.

Your fourth sentence sent off alarms for me
A few years ago I had my FJ cruiser totaled because of rodents.The main reason was a stench that could not be removed from the vehicle along with wiring damage.Some japanese car mfg use a soy product to make the sheeting for wiring harnesses.I.E. FOOD for rodents.Toyota dealer told me they see this alot.
Yes I am a Farmer and have to deal with rodents on all levels I.E. Seed ,crop storage as well as equipment of all types.
The best method I have found is as mentioned a combination of baited traps,sticky traps and outdoor cats.I say cats as only one will not do it.Bucket traps will work if you can keep them from freezing.
Keeping lights on in the dark areas will also deter them from vehicles.Keep the hood up on vehicles and supply 24 hour lighting to those areas if in storage.
All the stories about Irish Spring soap peppermint oil and dryer sheets is a myth. I have read that Farmers in some regions build a moat around vehicles made od 2x12 with a 10 inch metal flashing on the top ( horizontal) to keep rodents out of vehicles.
We have a very active rodent prevention program on all out buildings and equipment.
cats are your friend.

Mice need to get water every day, so they leave the nest daily. They navigate primarily by scent. Some strong peppermint scent usually works to confuse them so they can't find their trails and causes them to move on.

Also, they can't regurgitate. A ring of lime around your vehicle will cause them to get it on their feet and then they lick it off and that usually finishes them off.

In my garage I put a couple of traps near the sides of the garage doors. I use peanut butter as bait. That way I get them on their way in and out. My garage is in the basement under the living quarters. I snag quite a few mice each year in those traps, mostly this time of year. Since I have been doing that I have not had mice in the rest of the house.
You have that confused with rats, mice can go days without water. Traps by the doors is a good start, some mouse poison in places any pets can't get to and more traps near or on the bike. Nothing like catching the critter, just remember to check the traps weekly.
I like to use dry dog food as peanut butter can dry out or go rancid after time. Mice (unlike rats) are not very smart and easy to trap.

We lost our cat a few years ago. He LOVED hanging out in the garage and trapping/killing various critters. Now, I keep several mouse traps in the garage especially at each door and close to where the bikes are stashed during winter.

~G

Traps good. Having a copperhead visiting your garage doesnā€™t hurt either.

I heard covering your bike with a sheet and placing a can of mothballs under it discourages mice.

I had an infestation in the rear tail section behind the the seat. Little fuckers chewed up the rubber strap I used there to hold a tool kit. Luckily they didnā€™t get to the wires yet.

The traps and the wandering copperhead solved the problem. Not too sure about how effective the mothballs wereā€¦

Where we live currently is pretty rural. Our home had been used as a vacation home by the prior owners, so naturally the rodents had taken over completely in the detached garage and equipment shed. After doing a lot of internet research I came across the ā€œwalk the plankā€ bucket traps available on eBay. I set one bucket trap up in the basement of the house, one in the garage, and one in the shed. Used peanut butter on the outer lip of the plank to get them past the tipping point. They are pretty bad swimmers. Put pink RV antifreeze in the outdoor traps in unheated garage and shed in winter. Pink is propylene glycol and wonā€™t kill a dog if he gets into it like automotive antifreeze will (ethylene glycol will destroy their liver). After the bad swimmers die I toss them out in the woods for the local fauna to enjoy. The pink stuff wonā€™t hurt them either.

Never got any mouse action in the house basement, but first several weeks in the outdoor spaces I was getting many a day and continuously had to go around emptying the buckets. That was 2 years ago. Now I only get a transient visitor every now and then. Havenā€™t had any making nests in bikes or cars since the kill rate dropped off.

Thanks for all the advises , I highly will consider a Cat and continue with traps and all
My ā€œBarn/garageā€ is few feet from my house , so I guess I have to train kitty to ā€œVeni,Vidi,Viciā€ kind of mentality

Iā€™ll clean it more often too , and keep it minimalistic

Iā€™ll invest in strong spots that can be On 24/7