Rolling Thunder, Memorial Day in Washington, DC

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon T

Reaction score
I moved to Northern Virginia nearly 20 years ago. The tradition of Rolling Thunder had begun a few years ago. The concept (as described from an observer) was to get as many people on bikes (mostly loud Harleys, thus the genesis of the name) to gather in the parking lot of the Pentagon, create a parade thru downtown Washington, DC, stop and pay honor to the fallen vets. (a google search of Rolling Thunder will provide a more detailed and accurate description.)

I've seen it, I've heard it, but it was only this year that I had a motorcycle to possibly participate. Somewhat on a lark, I asked the Mrs, "Say, whatdya think we go down and do this rolling thunder thing?" The weather was perfect and the chores were done. It was supposed to start at 12, so that gave us about an hour to get there.

Well, by the time we got there, 2 of the 5 pentagon's parking lots were full. Unofficial estimates claim there were 500K - 750K bikes participating. (that could be spectators, but there were a LOT of bikes.)

I don't have military experience, and I don't generally get very emotional, but participating in Rolling Thunder was a highlight of my life. We posted the pics to "shutterfly.com" Hopefully, they work.

https://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome...mp;linkid=link4

I was not able to attend, but my CMA chapter from here in Roanoke, VA was there giving out ice water and coffee. For many it is one of the highlights of the year.

Latest posts