Rostra Accessory speed sensor, normally open or closed switch.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have ramping up for several mods/additions on my non-ABS '04 FJR for the last couple of months; so much to do and so little time. One of the tasks is to pull the old Audiovox CC-100 unit that I installed about twelve years ago. It worked great for about four years and 15K mi. and then tanked. Did all the tests, checked all the lines and wiring. Best guess is the vacuum control valves solenoids; it seemed to be a common occurrence. I tried it all, and short of buying a new/used control module, I decided just to use the Throttle.Meister. Now I have a Rostra universal unit and am preparing to install. I have combed through all the threads here, read, then reread and made notes. It is incredible to be able to draw on the collective wisdom and experience on this Forum. But, I have a couple nagging questions, things I have not been able to answer. 1. Is the speed sensor circuit normally open or close, a powered pulse or a open pulse in a constant hot? To avoid the $80 tag on the 4165 sensor, I would like to buy a simple, inexpensive, 2-wire, magnetic sensor, fabricate the bracket and install. I have researched the Rostra unit, schematics and web info and have not been able to find an answer. To order a simple generic threaded barrel type two wire 12mm magnetic sensor I must stipulate whether it is an normally "open" or "closed" type, workable range of clearance, electrical current limits, etc.. I bought three KOSO Magnetic 6mm bolts (thanks Ionbeam, NTXFJR and others) and have enough the skills to collar them (6m id x 8m od - rotational torque resistance). 2. Setting the PPM switches; 5,280 divided by rear tire circumference with the three magnets gives me ~ 2,437 PPM. Given that the dip switches arbitrary settings put me between the 2000 and 3200 ppm settings. How does one tweek the switching to get closer to my actual number?
3. Is the pulse signal a sine or a square wave form?
Never had to deal with this on the AV CC-100. Any thought/info on this would be greatly appreciated!!