Rotella Syn oil dark as can be with 3K

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Q

Reaction score
I am sure this is a never ending pointless thread but I am not accustom to syn oil turning so dark so fast. Normal? It is black. Even my regular oil doesn't turn this dark this fast. I'm sure Im being overly anal here but that bothers me.

I am sure this is a never ending pointless thread but I am not accustom to syn oil turning so dark so fast. Normal? It is black. Even my regular oil doesn't turn this dark this fast. I'm sure Im being overly anal here but that bothers me.

First time you put it in? Maybe due to the residual left from previous oil.

I'm sure Im being overly anal here but that bothers me.
Bingo!

gallery_balloon_knot.jpg

Don't presume that oil color has anything to do with the protective qualities of oil. There are many variables for the build-up of carbon in oil and many more far more important things to worry about than oil in the FJR.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes it is the first time. Switching from factory oil that I used on the first couple...

The oil isn't darkening. It's the other combustion byproduct poop that collects in the earl that is making it black. If this is the first batch of synthetic, it's proably just flushing all the old dookie out from the prior batches.

Well the factory oil didn't darken that much. Im sure your right but I dont like it one bit.

Ill change it Monday before I head out on my tour of the great lakes!

3k and about a 3k trip...
Then for balloon knotted variety it makes sense to change.....regardless of color.....just because we're conditioned to follow the manufacturer spec of oil changes at 4K intervals.

For those like myself and Skooterg with 100K and 200K respectively....our bikes must be trained to go 11,000+ miles without oil changes and they haven't yet seized....although I'm sure that point would be Friday fodder. What's the picture for the anti-balloon knot? ;)

I've been known to go that long with the synthetic. I usually go 5k with the regular 15W40 crud. But to each their own.

Gunny. I'm on the 5K change schedule. Easy to calculate and remember when to do it.

Great place for me to post. I have some old (3-4 years) Rotella oil laying around. I use to change my Dodge Diesel trucks oil before I got too busy or lazy. What is the shelf life of oil?

Dave

PS. I think I have about 4 gallons of it.

Latest posts