RPM's at 75-80 mph?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1) mcatrophy has an '06 and back in November posted some mph numbers. mcatrophy should be able to determine if the rpm/mph charts are really that far off. Empirical information good, yes?

2) Ignacio ponders, "I wonder what terminal-terminal velocity would be" I believe several former forum members found that 'terminal velocity' occurred to them at surprisingly slow speeds :rip_1: Ultimate top speed in the real world has too many variables to be meaningful. (Rider size in weight/girth/height, bags on/off, air temp, altitude, air pressure, windshield up/down, windshield size, tire type, tire pressure, road surface, wind speed/direction, etc, etc).

70 X 1.0278 = 71.95 mph
I know that Yamaha claims the gearing differance is only 2.78 percent but if you look at the numbers posted by every magazine that has tested a 06, the difference appears to be closer to 12 percent and that is what my riding partner and I found last summer when we rode a 05 and 06 side by side. My 05 indicated 70mph at 4,000 rpms, his 06 indicated 3,600 rpms at the same speed.

Is the gearing different or are the tachs different? His butt dyno and the fact that he consistently has to run a gear lower than I do in the mountains or passing a string of cars indicates that the gearing difference is really 12 percent.

I have in hand some time slips from full 1/4 mile runs at the dragway, anyone with a Gen II have a slip for comparison?
:blink:
I know it's a little off subject but inquiring minds want to know...How Fast? :yahoo: I'm wondering if anyone has met or exceded the claimed 10.24 ET, 124MPH 1/4 mile time? :dirol:

I've run an uncorrected 11.2 @ 121 on a warm evening, being fairly gentle. Have time slip. I've only seen one sub 11 second run but it turned out to be a problem with the track timer in that lane. The tower notified the rider of the timing error. Too bad it was after he hacked up the run/stop switch to jury-rig a kill lanyard so he could continue to run (NHRA rules on sub 11 second runs).

Edited: On a '04

Last edited by a moderator:
Comparing the drivetrain gear ratios in my '04 OM and an '06 OM the only difference is the number of teeth on the output gear of the transmission.

This gear has 36 teeth on the '04 and 37 teeth on the '06.

37/36 = 1.0278

I've seen reports that the '06 speedo is less accurate than the '04 speedo. Both register a bit higher than actual but the '06 error is greater.

Don't know how accurate the tachs are. You'd hope they'd be quite accurate.

I'd expect the speedo error is intentional. The ECU software adds a plus error to the speed input and forwards it to the speedometer.

The '06 speedometer dial is compressed more than the '04 dial. That means it's more difficult to read accurately.

If you know all the cog tooth count for each part of the drive train, and all your wheel and tyre dimensions, I've just created a little tool to do all the hard sums for you.

Click here to use it.

Please heed the warnings about stupid entries, remember "Garbage in, garbage out".

Feel free to give me any comments (preferably constructive).

Edit: It's not quite so stupid now, and will protect itself against really stupid entries, and it draws a graph
biggrin.gif

Anyone know wher their 06's rpm at 75-80?
Date: February 19, 2007

Where: I-75 near Inverness Florida

Pavement: Good to V-G

Weather Conditions: Sunny, 70 degrees.

Wind: nil

Tire pressure: 42 lbs.

Passenger weight: 160 plus light gear

Windshield height: Low

2006 FJR 1300 AE

Speedometer reading: 80

Tachometer reading: 4,150 RPM

Now isn't that interesting...? MamaYama admits to an, only, 1.0278% gearing change from Gen I to Gen II bikes -- yet, Gen II owners report a 10% reduction in rpm when riding and looking at the gauges (400 rpm less @ cruising speeds).

Yamaha has a history of playing 'fast&loose' with gauge accuracy (or, non-accuracy) -- witness: '06 R6 @ 17K.

But....as long as everyone's happy -- no biggie, right? :huh: :blink:

70 X 1.0278 = 71.95 mph
I know that Yamaha claims the gearing differance is only 2.78 percent but if you look at the numbers posted by every magazine that has tested a 06, the difference appears to be closer to 12 percent and that is what my riding partner and I found last summer when we rode a 05 and 06 side by side. My 05 indicated 70mph at 4,000 rpms, his 06 indicated 3,600 rpms at the same speed.

Is the gearing different or are the tachs different? His butt dyno and the fact that he consistently has to run a gear lower than I do in the mountains or passing a string of cars indicates that the gearing difference is really 12 percent.
have an 06 AE and at 4000 rpms in 5th gear, I get a consistent 73.2 mph on GPS and appx 75 mph on the speedometer, of course the speedometer is difficult to determine exact speed.