RTE - Berkshires

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigOgre

Reaction score
If anyone was following the Series (congrats to the Royals btw) you could guess there's no joy in Mudville down my way. As such, and with the great weather this week, seems like a good time for a change of atmosphere. Plan at the moment is to head up tomorrow (Tues., 11/3) through western Mass and aim for either The Brewmaster's Tavern in Williamsburg or Elmer's Store in Savoy depending on how hungry we become. If anyone would like to join up or offer suggestions we could narrow down times and location as needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Mikey!

My calendar is clear, so I think I might be able to get away tomorrow for some commiseration. Supposed to be some awesome riding weather.

Shoot me an email or PM with a rendezvous place and time.

We had us a nice ride yesterday. I left home at a tad before 6:30 AM and rode ~3 1/2 hours of back roads thru New Hampshire and Western Mass, down to meet the 2 Long Islanders at the Dunks in Winstead, CT at 10.

After a small cuppajoe, we headed northward, took the 2 FJRs and a Harley through Beartown State Forest on a road that was bearly paved (nice long goat path), then rode the twisties up to the top of Mt Greylock from the Pittsfield (south) side.

Veteren's Memorial Monument (marks the top of Mt Greylock):

IMG_0791.jpg

Rode back down the north side (more twisties) into North Adams, then took Rte 116 and 112 over to Williamsburg for lunch at the Brewmasters Tavern. Not being in a position to sample their brews was a shame, we'll have to go back some day on 4 wheels. But we had some decent burgers and fries / onion rings, then split up to back back home.

Avoided highways again, I rolled back into the garage from total darkness at just before 6 PM. What a great way to burn a couple of tanks of gas...

Clipboard01.jpg

Thanks Mikey!

My pleasure Fred. It was great to get together and put those suspensions to work. (Sorry again about the Beartown Forest. Who knew??)

Mount Greylock was cool, both a fun ride up and the views were fantastic. My phone pics doesn't do it justice.

IMG_20151103_124548593.jpg

IMG_20151103_125444381.jpg

And a sample of 116 (taken about two weeks earlier).

IMG_20151015_120236459_HDR.jpg

Our loop after lunch would've gotten us back to the ferry too late so we took 143 straight across to 8 and then headed down. A great ride in itself although even that got us to the terminal at 6:10 for the 6:15 boat. A little too rushed for such a fine day. We'll have to work on that - like maybe next week.
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Fred, I am curious what the total mileage would have been. That's if you kept track. Sure looks like a nice ride. To bad I burned through all my vacation time. I still have some personal and sick time left. Things should slow down in couple of weeks. To much going on at work right now. I hope the weather holds out longer.

Dave

After a small cuppajoe, we headed northward, took the 2 FJRs and a Harley through Beartown State Forest on a road that was bearlypaved (nice long goat path), then rode the twisties up to the top of Mt Greylock from the Pittsfield (south) side.

Great pics!! I've been to the top of Greylock many many times!! Been to the top of the monument too; do they still allow that? Anyway Mt. Greylock is in my hometown of Lanesboro not Pittsfield! Lol.....I know I know no one knows Lanesboro! Thanks for sharing the pics! Haven't been up that way in probably 15 years!

Total mileage for the day for me was only 379. That was covered in 11 1/2 hours according to Garmin. Only touched on the highways in a couple of places to circumvent congested city/towns.

The memorial tower was closed for some ongoing renovations. Last time I was up there (about a month ago) there was a construction crew actively working on it, but if you look closely at my photo above you can see the entrance is boarded up right now. I imagine it will reopen some day.

Mt Greylock is a fun ride because there are two equally good roads up to the top. Each is about 78 miles of mountain twisty goodness. Tough to find good passing places if you get behind a car, but we proved that it can be done. ;)

Nice. How lucky for you guys to be able to enjoy this great weather!