Russel seat height quick question...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketman0

Reaction score
I already read as much as I could here on the Russel Day Long seat and I'm pretty much set on ordering one. My questions are:

- I'm 5'8 with 29" inseam so the stock FJR is already tall for me (especially when pushing the bike around.) Will the RDL make it worse? I searched and read the old posts and some said yes some said no. I use my FJR as daily commute and also long multi-day trips (500-600 miles days, not IBR trips like you guys :) .

- Russel's site said that the vinyl is "All Vinyl: The most durable, weather resistant and generally carefree choice, and offers the best color match for most stock seat cover colors". Is that what your experience is? I really don't want leather if I don't have to, I have leather seats in my car and they are HOT in summer.

Thank you all!

mike

PS: better yet, does anybody around Pasadena have a FJR with Russel seat that I can sit on to get a feel?

Last edited by a moderator:
There is an endless debate about whether or not a Russell raises the seat height. Russell say not, especially when you are sitting on it, although they can raise you if you ask.

It's the extra width that gives the appearance of a raised seat, but if you slide forward the front of the seat is no wider than stock, and Russell can narrow that a little if you want them to.

Vinyl is by far the most common choice, but those who want leather can have it if they wish.

My experience is an all-vinyl, half-moon that I bought new, and a second-hand velour and vinyl that I got with the FJR. That one needs recovering, and I will go back to vinyl although I haven't decided the pattern yet.

I have a leather RDL. It is definitely taller than the stock seat. I am slightly tiptoeing with it. I find that my knees are much more comfortable, though with just the slight angle change with the higher sitting position. All the talk about the comfort of the RDL is true. I don't find the leather seat any hotter than any other seat. I do cover it when parked on rides and it is the direct sun, but then I did that for the stock seat too.

The debate over leather vs. vinyl is endless and almost useless. I maintain that in the constant high humidity of South Louisiana vinyl is the better choice. Others will argue that properly treated leather is just as good...

Whatever you want is the best choice for you. Because it is your money and in the case of a Custom Seat, money really does buy happiness. If leather makes you happy, then that is the right choice. If vinyl makes you happy then that is the right choice.

I see no logical reason that leather would ever be "hotter" in summer than vinyl. If your car had vinyl seats, they would also be hot in the summer. Since I am old enough to remember what "Luxurious vinyl seats" really felt like in the '70s, I can promise you they get hot in the summer.

I have an RDL laying around. Can't use it. WAY too tall for me at 5'10", 30" inseam. I can barely reach the ground with toes on both sides at the same time. If I wanna do more than tiptoe on one side I have to slide over so the edge of the seat is aligned with my butt crack. Make for an uncomfortable day, in more ways than one.

I have the RDL in leather and it does sit up a little higher than the stock seat. I am 5' 9" and I can almost get flat footed with the stock seat but the RDL I am on my toes. If riding around town and on and off the bike I am on the stock seat, however if going riding for the day I will always have the RDL under my "BUM".

By the way I had Spencer redo my stock seats and that made a world of difference in comfort, for stock seats that is.

I have the RDL seat in vinyl, and mine is taller than stock. At 5'9" I can almost flat foot it if I slide all the way forward, but I've always had tall bikes, so that's no issue. I did get a taller windscreen to raise the sweet spot (for me) a couple of inches.

Try their "sport" model. Raises me less than 1/2". Still has the wings and a lot more comfortable than the stock seat.

Russell told me they expect their seat for the FJR to raise the standard seat height by 1".

I am 6'2" with a 35" inseam. My RDL is in the high position (as was the stock seat), and I can attest that the RDL is definitely taller. As others have posted you quickly get used to "scooting forward" on the seat to put your feet down. Also, the RDL seat is so comfortable for distance riding, I'd work with Russell and ask them to address your concerns, it will be worth it!!

The debate over leather vs. vinyl is endless and almost useless. I maintain that in the constant high humidity of South Louisiana vinyl is the better choice. Others will argue that properly treated leather is just as good...
Whatever you want is the best choice for you. Because it is your money and in the case of a Custom Seat, money really does buy happiness. If leather makes you happy, then that is the right choice. If vinyl makes you happy then that is the right choice.

I see no logical reason that leather would ever be "hotter" in summer than vinyl. If your car had vinyl seats, they would also be hot in the summer. Since I am old enough to remember what "Luxurious vinyl seats" really felt like in the '70s, I can promise you they get hot in the summer.
I'm old enough to remember the vinyl seats in my car back in the 80s' so I knew how they were in California summer :)

What I meant was, vinyl is hot, leather is hot, then if there is no other valid reason to get leather, I won't waste money on leather.

Try their "sport" model. Raises me less than 1/2". Still has the wings and a lot more comfortable than the stock seat.
Thank you for the pointer! I didn't even know they have a 'sport model' and now I looked on their web site and saw it. May be this is better for me than the standard 'touring model' as the FJR is already tall for me as is. I think I can live with 1/2" taller, but not 1" or 1 1/2".

Now anybody know the 'sport model' compare to the 'touring model'? If it's 8/10 of the 'touring model' I can live with it.

Thank you so much everyone, I appreciate all your inputs and comments!

To recap:

- RDL is definitely taller than stock by 1" to 1 1/2", unless we slide all the way up to the front

- Sport model is 1/2" taller, instead of 1" or 1 1/2"

The height is my only concern as FJR is already tall for me as is. I will explore the option of 'sport model' or a 'touring model' if they can make it so the front is extremely narrow (like the stock seat) that I can slide forward when stopped. I'm not sure if I will get frustrated by having to slide forward to put my feet down and slide back when moving, especially in stop and go traffic :)

- RDL at Shasta Lake is about 550 miles from Los Angeles so a ride-in to get the seat made is a possible solution as I assume they will probably be able to set me up to how I like to reach the ground :)

- Bill Mayer is at Ojai which is closer. I know Russel seat gets the highest mark, but is Bill Mayer seat close enough? It's even more expensive than Russel.

Thank you all!
mike-

I would not pay more for a Bill Mayer than I would pay for a Russell. In fact, I don't think any seat is worth more than a Russell. If I were concerned about cost and the thickness of the seat were a serious issue, I would look very closely at the Laam Custom. If money is not an object by all means go with the Russell.

Leather or vinyl is a personal preference and as long as there is no gel padding involved, both should react to sunlight in the same way. That is, HOT when you first sit down, then quickly cooling to your body temp. The gel padding that is recommended by some is bad about retaining that heat for some time after you sit on the seat.

As far as "sliding forward to put your feet down", that happens automatically. It is not even a conscious effort.

Remember, it is your money and your seat. Get it like YOU want it. Leather, vinyl, fake fur if you want it. That is part of the joy of a true custom seat.

Good luck, please let us know what you decide.

Similar to OP, I am 5'-8", 30" inseam. I got the sport model and I would definitely recommend it. It was too tall at first but it has broken in nicely and I would say it is slightly higher than stock now. I've gotten used to scooting forward at stops - it's not a big deal.

Similar to OP, I am 5'-8", 30" inseam. I got the sport model and I would definitely recommend it. It was too tall at first but it has broken in nicely and I would say it is slightly higher than stock now. I've gotten used to scooting forward at stops - it's not a big deal.
It looks like you are the only one who got a 'sport model' :)

That's what I'm leaning to. I'm wondering how is the comfort level between the 2 (touring vs sport)?

Does the RDL also allow you to change from a High to Low setting like the stock seat does?

I have a 2014 ES, and while I am tall at a little over 6-1, i have a short inseam at about 32" and I really like the height of the stock seat at the LOW setting. I can still flat foot at High, but just like the ergonomics of the lower setting.

I think a RDL is in my near future but I haven't ever seen this issue addressed (low vs. high).

Thanks!

Madmatt

Does the RDL also allow you to change from a High to Low setting like the stock seat does?
I have a 2014 ES, and while I am tall at a little over 6-1, i have a short inseam at about 32" and I really like the height of the stock seat at the LOW setting. I can still flat foot at High, but just like the ergonomics of the lower setting.

I think a RDL is in my near future but I haven't ever seen this issue addressed (low vs. high).

Thanks!

Madmatt
The RDL is built on top of your existing seat pan. Whatever that allows you do do will be retained.

I just broke my brand new Russell seat in this weekend. 500 miles saturday. 250 Today. It does feel slightly higher. Similar to the stock seat in the high position. No issues when I slide forward for me.

These seats are everything people say for sure. No pain in the backside at all!!
smile.png
On the stock seat I would start feeling it about 4 hours... and was in serious pain in 6 hours. All good now. My wife used to go about 3 hours and then push to head home. Today... no pain for her either. Amazing.

I have stock handlebars and might like to move the pocket forward about a 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch. But I will probably put some more miles on it before deciding.