Russel Seat Question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S76

Reaction score
I have a build date for a Day Long seat. I have my pictures and all ready to go. Just haven't decided on which type of seat to get. I like the looks of the "New" FJR seat. The wife is short and it looks like this will sit her higher so she can see better.

FJR_09.jpg

Does anyone have this style? Do you like it?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Looks exactly like our setup ('07 FJR1300). Did a ride in to Russell's with the wife in Nov, 2007.

My wife is about 3" shorter than me but had no problem looking over my shoulders with the Russell. It provided a slight relief to her knees over a stock seat. Riding comfort is legendary and well documented on this site.

Best piece of advice that can't be emphasized enough... Give at LEAST 1000 miles to break in. On the ride home from Russell, mine felt hard as a rock until I realized (after a riding straight for a few hundred miles) that my butt didn't hurt anymore.

If, after breaking it in, it doesn't feel right, contact Russell. They really aim to please.

That is the exact seat that I purchased this winter. I finally got to spend a little time on it today, January and 54*, it was great.

I was concerned about the seat position and also the issue with the "wings" as many have commented. It only took a few miles to remove my concerns, it was great. I'm looking forward to this summer when I can really enjoy it. My wife hasn't been able to ride with me on this seat yet, so I can't help you out much in that area. I think you will find she sits a little higher then the stock seat, as the front of the seat is raised a little, but probably more important the seated position is raised a little due to the support of the surface area of the wider seat.

Looks exactly like our setup ('07 FJR1300). Did a ride in to Russell's with the wife in Nov, 2007.My wife is about 3" shorter than me but had no problem looking over my shoulders with the Russell. It provided a slight relief to her knees over a stock seat. Riding comfort is legendary and well documented on this site.

Best piece of advice that can't be emphasized enough... Give at LEAST 1000 miles to break in. On the ride home from Russell, mine felt hard as a rock until I realized (after a riding straight for a few hundred miles) that my butt didn't hurt anymore.

If, after breaking it in, it doesn't feel right, contact Russell. They really aim to please.

Thanks Snake. I've read just about all there is to read on Russell. That's why I'm there. There was a post on this forum from a guy (In Italy??) that had that seat and raved about it. I think that is his bike in the pic. Notice the narrowed side cases.

In the picture it looks like a gap between the front and back seat. I assume that is a shadow.....right?

As was mentioned, give it at least 1k miles. When I first got mine I felt like my "boys" were being smashed into the tank and was on the verge of sending it back for adjustment but gave it time and now 1k mile days don't even phase me :)

I have a build date for a Day Long seat. I have my pictures and all ready to go. Just haven't decided on which type of seat to get. I like the looks of the "New" FJR seat. The wife is short and it looks like this will sit her higher so she can see better.
FJR_09.jpg

Does anyone have this style? Do you like it?

Thanks in advance for any input.

The seat in the photo is what Russell calls their "Dual Saddle" That means that it was customized for both the rider and the passenger. That's why it's as high as it is. On the other hand, a "Solo Saddle" is customized for the rider only and they simply recover the stock passenger portion to match the front seat.

The only word of advice, be careful at first, it will change your center of gravity. Her weight will be higher and takes a little getting used to.

Ok everyone seems to like it. I just needed a little of that warm and fuzzy feeling that I wasn't making a big mistake here as is often the case with me.

As far as the high center of gravity I understand completely. I have 2 names for my bike. I either call it Titanic, or Joan. The reason for those names, is because this bike already has such a high center of gravity, at slow speeds, it just wants to go "Down on you." Just like the Titanic, and just like a girl I knew in high school.

Thanks for your input.

"DON'T WORRY ABOUT THAT ICE, FULL SPEED AHEAD!"

We have the same seat pictured the Dual model and absolutely luv it. We had several great trips this past year with quite a few 10 hour rides. We were very comfortable. We ordered the leather and after a year it has some nice character and a little stretch mark that I don't care for but hey every piece of leather is different and thats the way it goes. Get one and you will enjoy it and so will the wifey. ALso the Back seat actually over laps the from and they fit together very nicely. Let me know if you need some pics of the leather model.

Within the last year RCP has started offering the Half-moon style as well. It's pretty similar to the square pattern you linked but it has a pocket like, erm, a half moon or like a tractor seat.

It's what I had done to mine, all I have is a crappy cellphone pic because I'm lazy.

NewSeat-phonepic-1.jpg

It took a long time to break in, I'd say close to 2000 miles. I went against common sense and basically took it out of the box and on a 5 day ride. After the second day I was close to buyers remorse, and had plans for a major overhaul after the trip. Somewhere on day 4, it suddenly dawned on me that my gas tank was empty long before my butt needed a break.

I've never gotten the 'ahhh, perfect' feeling when I settle into the seat and get underway, but I can literally ride 12 hours and stop for nothing but gas.

Whatever pattern you choose I'm sure you'll be super happy with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Within the last year RCP has started offering the Half-moon style as well. It's pretty similar to the square pattern you linked but it has a pocket like, erm, a half moon or like a tractor seat.
It's what I had done to mine, all I have is a crappy cellphone pic because I'm lazy.

NewSeat-phonepic-1.jpg

It took a long time to break in, I'd say close to 2000 miles. I went against common sense and basically took it out of the box and on a 5 day ride. After the second day I was close to buyers remorse, and had plans for a major overhaul after the trip. Somewhere on day 4, it suddenly dawned on me that my gas tank was empty long before my butt needed a break.

I've never gotten the 'ahhh, perfect' feeling when I settle into the seat and get underway, but I can literally ride 12 hours and stop for nothing but gas.

Whatever pattern you choose I'm sure you'll be super happy with it.
First off, thanks to everyone for your input.

But this is the part that confuses me.

Wanderer, your seat looks like it has 3 levels or pieces to it. Looks like there is a spacer or something between the front and back. What is the difference between that and the picture I posted, other than it's different? Is it simply 2 different ways of doing things or what? Is there an advantage to one over the other?