Russell Cycle Products, Shasta Lake, CA

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr_Canoehead

Reaction score
I searched and was surprised that nobody has posted about Russell here in the vendor forum.

I purchased a used Russell seat last winter off EBay. It is a top of the line heated rider and passenger leather seat in the half moon pattern. While the back seat was great, I wasn’t really happy with the rider’s seat. It placed me right up against the tank and I found myself continually pushing backward.

I read a few threads of people asking whether Russell would re-work a seat and the consensus seemed to be that they wouldn’t. I called them up and spoke to them about my options. They asked for photos of the seat, and me sitting on the bike and noted that the seat was built to place someone as far forward as possible. They offered to adjust it as best they could for around $150 or do a complete rebuild for around $500, including a new leather cover. I chose the latter and booked a date for the rebuild.

A couple of days before the scheduled build date, they called me to review everything. The build was completed on time and they contacted me to let me know that they had managed to rework the cover rather than make a new one. They said that the cover wasn't perfect but it was acceptable and the total cost was way less than the $500 number – about half. I was impressed - they didn’t have to do that, they could have charged me the full $500 and frankly, I can't tell that it isn't a new cover.

When they shipped the seat back to me, USPS and/or CBSA lost it at the border. After a week of no news on the tracking site, I called Russell and they started chasing it down, sending me daily updates as to what was happening.

If you want a great seat delivered when promised and great communication throughout the build process, these are the guys to deal with. I couldn’t be happier with the entire transaction.
punk.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Russell is well known around here and the entire LD community. I am working on number 6 myself.

Yep. Had multiples on different bikes. It's become the first thing I do to a new bike.

Odd about the search failing to find anything. I did a search on "russell" and got 79 hits.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had several over the years on different bikes. I've moved the current one from one bike to the next four times.

The only seat from RDL that I didn't like was the one I did a ride in appointment for. They let me suggest changes mid build, and I probably didn't suggest the right things. All the seats I've had them make without a ride in appointment have been great.