• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Russell Group Buy

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a build date of Jan 26th, I was # 74 May have to trailer(bad word) the bike south to try it out when it comes.New England snow and salt doesn't mix well with the FJR. :yahoo:

Got a build date of Jan 26th, I was # 74 May have to trailer(bad word) the bike south to try it out when it comes.New England snow and salt doesn't mix well with the FJR. :yahoo:

yeah i hear that. montreal is no better tho i could have been riding these past few days but, NO SEAT! my build date was yesterday so, if i'm lucky, i'll have one ride before the snow hits and stays for 3 months. :nhl_checking: :santa: :cold: :hey we need a snowy smiley:

Demetri you got off lucky! I sent mine out by Purolater through a buddy of mine company because of a discount. I shipped it out in a box that lots of room for both parts of the seat. Well HOLY CRAP!!! The bill came in and my buddy call me and he said " Are yeah sitting down?"

Well to make a long story short the bill was 383.00 FRIGGEN BUCKS!!!! Holy crap. The box was there in 2 days which was nice ,however Purolater has a formula for boxes being shipped the the USA. If it is a certain size it is able to carry a certain amount of weight per cubic foot.

My box according to their formula was able to carry 49 friggen pounds and that how the price was so high.

So next time I have to ship anything to the US. I will get in the box with the stuff for the free trip.

So Canadiens watch out for Purolater when shipping to the US and using a big box.

JT

Heather from Russell called yesterday to tell me that they were shipping my seats!
I should have them by Friday. :yahoo:
Sounds like you already have your seat by now.

What was your build date? Mine was 12/10, and I'm wondering when to expect he seat back. We'll be out of town so I want to have my son watch for the package. UPS leaves packages on our porch no matter what it says on the box. They left a Samsung TV I ordered from Crotchfield on the porch and it said what it was all over the box!

I'll be looking forward to a ride in January when we get back from Christmas vacation. When it comes to riding, I'm real grateful to be in S. Ca. :yahoo:

My wife sent my seat for me a couple of weeks ago. Should've arrived by the 11th and my build date was yesterday. She sent it USPS insured and the charge was $15 or so. Nice.

Can't wait to get the thing back, though expecting there'll be ice on the ground when it gets here.

USPS and a few extra days is the way to go. I waited too long to get my seat off and paid $60.00 3 day UPS.

Anyway I got my new seat yesterday!

Both seats on all leather. Looks and feels fantastic. Only negative (minor), and I'm glad I waited to make any bar adjustments. I will be installing up and back risers soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya know, I've got a Rick Mayer seat on my 04. It's good for about 5 or 6 hours before the burn gets serious - depends on if I've got the sheepskin/riding pants on. The Mayer seat I bought off a forum member for a good price. No complaints, but it was obviously made for somebody taller. Combined with my riding style of sitting really close to the tank (spent a lot of time on dirt bikes) I end up sitting on the 'thin' portion of the seat more often than not. I have to consciously push my ass back into the sweet spot; and its only a few minutes before I slide forward once again..

Since I bought my bike in May of 08 I've wanted a Russell. Well the group buys always come up when I don't have the funds. Same thing this year. So hear it is, 2 weeks past the end of the group buy and I have some cash magically turn up. )(#&$*^$

Guess it wouldn't hurt to at least try by calling them huh ?

Since I bought my bike in May of 08 I've wanted a Russell. Well the group buys always come up when I don't have the funds. Same thing this year. So hear it is, 2 weeks past the end of the group buy and I have some cash magically turn up. )(#&$*^$
Guess it wouldn't hurt to at least try by calling them huh ?
Dude - take that money and put it someplace where you can't / won't spend it until next year's GB, or start looking for one second-hand. I bought mine from another forum member just before SFO. Best farkle ever!

Grumby had one for sale recently. I was going to buy it but the wife wanted new made to fit the both of us.

Dude - take that money and put it someplace where you can't / won't spend it until next year's GB, or start looking for one second-hand. I bought mine from another forum member just before SFO. Best farkle ever!
Shhh.. don't tell anybody.. but I was in at the local Yammie dealer negotiating a new seat > :)

When did Yamaha start selling Russell Daylongs?
If you are talking the Yamaha "gel" seat, save your money.
Oh my no!

But Yamaha has wide selection of seats to choose from, some feel identical to the FJR seat. Some feel like your sitting on an upholstered cutting board, some feel like they put way to much pressure on your tail bone, and still others seem to sit really high in the air.

I tried out a couple of them but this one really caught my eye:

Yamaha Tall seat

IMG_0181.JPG

One happy camper here! Thanks to JustHoward and RCP for making this an awesome GB! You're pros, I'm impressed!

My seat came back last week just before we got 20 inches of snow so I have not had a test ride yet. Thanks JustHoward for a great group buy with excellent communications!

That's about the same as my seat too (first time around). I had previously put some gel and memory foam in the stock seats, so I had Russell just re-cover the rear one to match, retaining the Gel/foam mod.

Before:

2339826280098858932S600x600Q85.jpg

This Group Buy I got a custom matching rear seat (only) made up for my luverly.

After:

2930824890098858932S600x600Q85.jpg

Yeah, my wife has a small butt (4'12" 105 lbs) so that new seat is truly a "custom" fit for her, and her only.

Not too many other passengers will fit between the raised sides without squashing them. So, knowing that would be the case, I bought a second rear seat seat pan a while ago and had the custom one done up on that, keeping the "before" rear one for other (or no) passenger days.

I'm hoping that as she breaks hers in it develops the deeper "pocket" that mine has. It really makes it comfy...

[edit] and yes, that is a recently used snowblower in the background. :angry:

For Pete Sakes! Mailed off my seat today, $48.77 for 2 Day Fed Ex delivery on a 9 pound box.

The Clerk told me if I had mailed it last Thursday it would have been cheaper because the fees

went up on Jan 1.

Last ride of the Year was the last ride on my stock seat.

I was very apprehensive packing the box, wondering "What IF?".

I tried out a couple of them but this one really caught my eye:

Bungie, Don't waste your money, read back on ALL the seat threads, and 90% of them end up buying the Russel. ( after spending money on a Gel seat, Air Seat, Corbin, Sargeant, Meyer,,, etc. etc.). ( once they have spent several hundreds of dollars, They buy a Russel)

It costs a few bucks, but your Ass will thank you in the long run.

( If you don't believe me, ask Bustanut, "Cause He's the biggest ASS we got" )

( Edit: Even tho the Official Group Buy has ended, phone them, They may take pity on you and give you the same price)

Still waiting impatiently for my seat. Production date was 12/14, though no communications since then.

Not like I'm going anywhere on the bike... spending a good bit of time throwing salt on the driveway right now. But really anxious to see if Russell got my requests right. And man, already stoked to get out riding again this year.

Fred, it appears that your seat is moved back from others I've seen - you don't have the same "step" between pillion and front. Hoping mine will arrive the same way as I asked to be up and away from the tank.