• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Russell Group Buy

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, no, no, no, no, you don't, Tinker....
011.gif

We don't pad our post count by posting empty, meaningless messages here.... :lol:

Earn your status like everyone else, by contributing meaningful, useful posts.... not by "post-whoring"... :lol: Your total post count has been reduced by three, for post-whoring three times...

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, no, no, no, no, you don't, Tinker....
011.gif

We don't pad our post count by posting empty, meaningless messages here.... :lol:

Earn your status like everyone else, by contributing meaningful, useful posts.... not by "post-whoring"... :lol: Your total post count has been reduced by three, for post-whoring three times...
:haha:

Of course you could always post a few in the test area for some legitimate reason... ;)

I hate to have to make a negative comment about the Russell because I think they make an awsome seat. But I tried one on my FJR for over 3500 miles and it did not work for me. I just could not find a comfortable position in the seat. Yes maybe if you sit straight up and right over the SPRINGS, but with this bike that is really pretty difficult. I move around on the seat when I am in the twisties maybe that is my fault. I had the seat worked on twice and it just did not work. If you do get the seat I got the vinyl that prevents you from slidding and I did not like it. I don't mean to change your thoughts on the seat but it did not work for me and I thought people might like another point of view.

I hate to have to make a negative comment about the Russell because I think they make an awsome seat. But I tried one on my FJR for over 3500 miles and it did not work for me.
It's not unheard of to run across someone that can't make the Russell work for them, just as it's not unheard of to run across someone who can't make any particular seat work for them, either. Some butts just don't conform to a particular approach to making a saddle. In these situations, one has to shop around and compare seats to find one that "fits" them correctly.

While I do have a Russell on my FJR and like it very much, I also have a Rick Mayer on my Blackbird and like it even more. If I were getting a seat today, I would opt for the Rick Mayer. That doesn't mean the Russell is less quality by any means (if it were, I wouldn't have it on my bike). Rather, it simply means I would prefer the Rick Mayer seat. ;)

I hate to have to make a negative comment about the Russell because I think they make an awsome seat. But I tried one on my FJR for over 3500 miles and it did not work for me.
It's not unheard of to run across someone that can't make the Russell work for them, just as it's not unheard of to run across someone who can't make any particular seat work for them, either. Some butts just don't conform to a particular approach to making a saddle. In these situations, one has to shop around and compare seats to find one that "fits" them correctly.

While I do have a Russell on my FJR and like it very much, I also have a Rick Mayer on my Blackbird and like it even more. If I were getting a seat today, I would opt for the Rick Mayer. That doesn't mean the Russell is less quality by any means (if it were, I wouldn't have it on my bike). Rather, it simply means I would prefer the Rick Mayer seat. ;)
Bingo!

Well, put, WC. That describes my experience with a Russell better than I ever have. It just didn't work for me. Neither does Corbin (and their brand of extra-heavy concrete they use for cushioning.).

OMG.jpg

I wouldn't have expected that answer in a million years! Don't know why, just not expected.

Leaving Friday morning enroute to Rick Mayer's place. Yee-ha! Got a Saturday ride-in appointment.

On the way, will be stopping in Ojai, Ca, to pay a little visit to Widder Enterprises also. Time to get my first heated vest.

Should be a good, and $$$$ weekend.

TWN - yer buying lunch ain't ya?

I wouldn't have expected that answer in a million years!  Don't know why, just not expected.
Well, lemme give you this perspective: in May, 2003, I took my Blackbird (with it's Rick Mayer seat) on one of the most extreme Iron Butt runs I've ever done, an event known as "BLISTER".

During that event, I rode my XX a total of 3,146 miles in well under 48 hours. :bigeyes:

Not once - not even one time - did I ever even notice/think about my butt.

This is the highest possible praise a seatmaker can receive.... a product so good, you never even notice it's there. Even in the most arduous, extreme rides imaginable.

I ain't touchin that one. :eek:

TWN?!?! Radman?!?!?!? Woodstock?!?!?!?

I do believe you fellas are up. :lol:

I guess what surprises me is in all of the aftermarket seat discussions I've come across in the forum, Russell is the most highly touted, regardless of price, while Rick Mayer seats, while praised, are mere afterthoughts in the discussions.

Seems I'll have to investigate further.

Thanks, WC.

I'm still indecisive over the whole seat thing. I'm supposed to get a Russell built next month but I'm still not completely sold on it.

I'm 5' 9" and about 215 lbs.

Does anyone with a Russell seat find that the sprung area of the seat interferes with their leg when they are stopped? I have it on VERY good authority that this may be the case in my particular instance.

Thanks,

Jim

I'm still indecisive over the whole seat thing. I'm supposed to get a Russell built next month but I'm still not completely sold on it.
I'm 5' 9" and about 215 lbs.

Does anyone with a Russell seat find that the sprung area of the seat interferes with their leg when they are stopped? I have it on VERY good authority that this may be the case in my particular instance.

Thanks,

Jim
Nope. Had 2 (one on a Wing and one on the FJR).

I'm 5' 10" and can reach the ground on the FJR without a problem.

Nope, I ain't thinkin 'bout his butt either. Tdub?

Nope, I ain't thinkin 'bout his butt either. Tdub?
'Fraid I'm not either. Woody? You're up!

Skooter,

Dude, sorry I missed your post about being in Ojai, otherwise lunch would most definitely had been on me. Did you make it and how's the RM saddle?

That describes my experience with a Russell better than I ever have.  It just didn't work for me.  Neither does Corbin (and their brand of extra-heavy concrete they use for cushioning.).
Ah yes, the patented Corbrick material. I know it only too well. That's why I keep it on a shelf in the garage, at least until my new custom saddle meets my approval and I can sell it off.

That's why I keep it on a shelf in the garage, at least until my new custom saddle meets my approval and I can sell it off.
Yo Toe,

So I read your comment to mean that you've gotten the Rick Mayer. Are you going to post a review or even just your comments on the new saddle?

Cheers,

Jim

OK, so I've decided to stay with the Russell instead of the Rick Mayer.

But now I'm thinking of getting leather instead of vinyl. Currently, I've got the WC style small square seat on order.

My question: What pattern is the best for leather? It seems like the classic rectangle is the most obvious. Is anyone using the "half moon"? I like the idea of less stitching but it does look a bit goofy does it not?

Cheers,

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.