Russell Seat Height

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Akro

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting a Russell seat, but I need to be sure that it really won't be higher than the stock seat.

The Russell web site says that the seat isn't higher than the stock seat if you slide all the way forward.

Thanks for any input you could give me on this.

They will tell you they can make it the same height, but I can almost gaurantee you it will be taller than stock. I've had three of them on various bikes over the years and each and every one of them was taller than stock, even though I requested the seat height remain the same.

Adios....

Woody

part of the reason a Russel seat is so good is part of the reason that they feel taller. The actual seat may not be any taller than your previous seat - could be even a bit lower. What happens though is that the springs that Russel uses in the seat is what gives it the distinctive shape (sort of bowl shaped). When sitting in the seat your legs do not have the same direct route to the ground. If you slid forward you legs move in front of the "wings" on the Russel and can get directly to the ground.

In effect - most folks find that in a normal sitting position... there legs seem shorter than when on a stock seat. Most folks don't want to shift their butts forward at every stop light or sign.

That said -- they are VERY comfortable seats. I had 100,000 on my K12LT in a Russel and I really miss it.

I have a Russel on my FJR and have had them on past bikes with excellent comfort. I would agree that you end up sitting slightly higher than the stock seat even though the seat probably measures about the same. Part of it is the shape of the seat with the width of the "wings" and part of it is the firmer density of the foam...which is a good thing in my opinion. If touching the ground is an issue then the Russel is definitely a step taller. The shape of the seat prevents you from directly reaching the ground as your leg is angled forward somewhat by the "wings" unless you slide forward on the seat. I could easily touch the ground with the stock seat flatfooted but am a bit on one toe with the Russel unless I slide forward so I would say it adds about 1 inch effective seat height due to the angle of your leg....unless you slide well forward at a stop and then it is a non issue.

Russel is very helpful with any specific requests so I am sure they can accomodate any concern you might have. Their seats are so comfortable that I wouldn't be scared away by the slight effective gain in seat height. Talk to them, take LOTS of pictures and make notes and send them to Russel to see if they can "fix" it for you. Seriously, the more pictures and diagrams you can send them to talk about later on the phone with the guy building the seat the better. I took multiple pictures of another seat one time, cut up the pictures, taped them together to simulate what I wanted and they made it perfectly like I asked....that was in the days before photoshop....LOL.