Russell seat patterns

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhkfjr

Reaction score
Now that I've finally decided on a Russell seat, the next decision is the pattern and material. This probably isn't such a big issue for those in more temperate climates but I'm in S. Fl. Most of my riding is done in temps of 85 and above. I'd like to ride without anything (beads or sheep) on unless it's really hot (90+).

Russell website claims that the small square pattern (Warchild special) is the coolest to ride on due to the breathability of the all the needle holes in the quilting. I've also heard that a leather seat breathes better than vinyl and would also be cooler. I've also heard that the leather makes little or no difference (except to your wallet).

the "half moon" pattern looks more comfortable but if the "small squares" is actually cooler then that would be the way to go.

Has anybody thats ridden with the squares noticed that it's appreciably ventilated. I've ridden with beads and you can really tell the difference, it's like butt a.c. Is there that kind of effect to any degree with the "small square" that is at all noticeable?? Has anyone tried the leather version?? Can your lean your butt left or right off the seat to get some air under there or do the wings block the airflow??

Any and all replies are greatly appreciated!

Now that I've finally decided on a Russell seat, the next decision is the pattern and material. This probably isn't such a big issue for those in more temperate climates but I'm in S. Fl. Most of my riding is done in temps of 85 and above. I'd like to ride without anything (beads or sheep) on unless it's really hot (90+).
Russell website claims that the small square pattern (Warchild special) is the coolest to ride on due to the breathability of the all the needle holes in the quilting.
Probably. Although I'd imagine it's more the tucking of the pattern (the low spots) that allows air circulation than the thread holes. RCP says they use special thread to minimize hole size for better waterproofing. I can see how that pattern would be super comfy, it's just too ugly for me.

I've also heard that a leather seat breathes better than vinyl and would also be cooler. I've also heard that the leather makes little or no difference (except to your wallet).
Leather is cooler in the summer, warmer in the winter, never gets stiff with the cold and breathes better. Anyone who tells you different is ill-informed. I put leather on my day-long and never regretted it for a second. It was fine in Carlsbad NM when I was down there it was 90's. I do live out west where the RH is low however. can't comment on wet heat.

the "half moon" pattern looks more comfortable but if the "small squares" is actually cooler then that would be the way to go.
True. I went Half-moon. I love it, but the ventilation you want may not be there. the half moon 'pocket' is literally shaped to support the natural arc of your legs and butt. think tractor seat + sofa. it's very supportive and comfortable there is alot of contact with the saddle. I wear UnderArmour shorts and riding pants so there's some venting in that.

Has anybody thats ridden with the squares noticed that it's appreciably ventilated. I've ridden with beads and you can really tell the difference, it's like butt a.c. Is there that kind of effect to any degree with the "small square" that is at all noticeable?? Has anyone tried the leather version?? Can your lean your butt left or right off the seat to get some air under there or do the wings block the airflow??
Can't comment on the 'Warchild' as I've never actually seen one in person, but from the pics, it may be the ultimate example of form follows function.

I routinely shift forward and back in my seat, up out of the pocket, to change the airflow between my legs and the tank to get some airflow and also change up blood circulation as preventative medicine for saddle sore. i probably shift once or twice in 100 miles then get off the bike to fuel around 225. Could ride all day that way.

Have you considered the velour cover?

I bought my Russell second-hand off another forum member who is in Florida. It has the velour cover and I really like it. The velour is, I believe, geared towards the warmer climates.

I can tell you for sure that, after sitting in the work parking lot all day in the hot summer sun, when I hop on that seat the seat is not warm like leather, pleather or vinyl would be.

Last edited by a moderator:
A quick note about velour. I bought my horse cross-country saddle and a jumping saddle with velour panels because it sticks. If you are a sporty guy and want to slide across the seat to hang off on the corners velour may not be the material of choice -- oh wait, I forgot, you live in Florida ;) :lol:

My Russell has the half moon pattern in leather. The leather will soak up the rain but dries fairly quickly too. There are a bunch of leather treatments that will help leather be water resistant. I find the leather surface to be much better than vinyl. One leather product that is real good for leather and water resistance is:

clickable pic

A vote against the diamond pattern. I bought a russel seat a couple years ago during one our group buys. I bought leather, and picked the square/diamond pattern because I also had read that it is cooler.

If I were to do it again, I'd go with the half moon. I doubt there's much of a temperature difference (not gonna put a thermometer down there to test), the added stitching makes the seat less tolerant of rain, and the pattern isn't as smooth and finished looking as other patterns (I think it looks busy). That said, the seat is comfortable. I bought a used stock seat for daily commuting because of its weather resistance.

Waffle pattern is too ugly for you, judging from your previous posts on this subject, you being very concerned with appearance and all. Go with leather, something in a lighter color for the best possible comfort in warm weather.