Russell seat vs. Sargent seat

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Tom Wright

Well FJRer's - its been a while since I've been on the Forum (last year some time). I'm shopping for a seat for my '04 FJR. I call Russell and they're out to Sept. for making me a seat. Any suggestions as to the quality and comfort of the Sargent. I want a drivers back rest and I believe they are the only two companies that offer one. Ride safe, smart and often...Tom

Well FJRer's - its been a while since I've been on the Forum (last year some time). I'm shopping for a seat for my '04 FJR. I call Russell and they're out to Sept. for making me a seat. Any suggestions as to the quality and comfort of the Sargent. I want a drivers back rest and I believe they are the only two companies that offer one. Ride safe, smart and often...Tom
I love the Sargent I bought from Sparky! Hated the OEM seat and have never had the pleasure of resting my butt on a Russell or Mayer.

I am a Sargent dealer and they do not offer a driver's back rest, only one for the passenger. Asking which is more comfortable is like comparing asses. Everyone's is different. Not surprisingly, I love my Sargent seat.

Sargent seat is a vast improvement over an '05 stock seat. W/ my butt, the Sargent is abt a 500 mile seat. I've never had the pleasure of sitting on a custom seat but suspect a custom is a vast improvement over a Sargent.

I've had 2 Russells (after several abortions certain vendors called "custom" seats). Never ridden a Seargents but if it's a 500 mile seat, then that's not what I'm looking for in a seat.

I've done multiple (back-to-back) 1000+ mile days and some 1500+ miles days using Russells and the seat comfort was never an issue.

I've had the opportunity to ride ( albeit briefly ) a Russell seat as well as a couple other custom seats. In the end, I went with the Sargent seat. I much prefer the looks of the Sargent, but the principal consideration was comfort. While I don't do these 1,000 mile + days, I do quite a number of 500 - 600 mile days and I have never had any discomfort at all on the Sargent. As Bike Effects says, seats are a very subjective issue. Try as many as you can before you buy.

I've owned many of the aforementioned seats and it's an absolute truth that what works for one may not for another. For about the past year and a half I've been using a Sargent. At first I thought "this is a pretty damm nice seat", well built, easy to look at, but not the last word in touring comfort. As time and miles went on, this seat really did "break-in" and conform. Today, it's one of the most comfortable seats I've ever owned and getting better every time I ride. It also has the added benefit of not looking like a lesbian tractor seat as do some of the other custom offerings. I don't think just trying any make of seat for a limited time gives you a fair appraisal of it's true potential for comfort. Especially if it's brand new or well broken in to someone elses backside.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm probably one of the few idiots that own BOTH the Sargeant and Russell for the FJR. I started with the former and added the latter. Both are superior to stock. Both also require breaking in to truly test as others have suggested.

The Russell is superior in that is really is a custom seat. I think the Sargeant is the best of the "standard" aftermarket seats for this machine. And, the Sargeant comes with added underseat storage. A nice feature. But my buns are the #1 consideration.

... looking like a lesbian tractor seat ...
What in the Wide, Wide World of Sports is that? :blink:

I have had Corbin's, Dick Mayer, Stock, and the best... RUSSELL DAY-LONG. My new one is being made as we speak. Some don't like the look of a Russell, unless you have eye's in your ass you can't see it :p . And when your not on it, you simply lay you jacket over it.... My new one should be here in a week or so. Can you say small squares please :dribble: ..... Smitty

Last edited by a moderator:
What in the Wide, Wide World of Sports is that? :blink:

Use your imagination. For me, it's just a phrase to describe something hard on the eyes :p

I have had Corbin's, Dick Mayer, Stock, and the best... RUSSELL DAY-LONG. My new one is being made as we speak. Some don't like the look of a Russell, unless you have eye's in your ass you can't see it :p . And when your not on it, you simply lay you jacket over it.... My new one should be here in a week or so. Can you say small squares please :dribble: ..... Smitty

Sounds like you're describing an ugly girlfriend! All kidding aside, I'm sure you'll love your new Russell. Enjoy

The Sargent seat looks like it is sloped into the tank, sliding you into the tank.

wsyamfjr1.JPG

Anyone that has one.....does it do that ?.......Bike effects ?

Also Bike Effects, do you sell all the models, i.e. I would be looking at black with black welt. Don't like the colored welt.

I had a Russell on a 91 ST 1100 and it was the best seat I've ever used. Don't compromise, get on the production list, put up with the stock seat for now-I had a 2,000 mi trip(just completed on the stock seat) planned, and when I couldn't get on the list till fall, I just resigned myself to having a better seat next year. By the way, spend the extra $ and get the back rest.

My Sargent does not push me forward. One of the benefits to the Sargent seat is that it provides for level seating for both the rider and also the passenger. Love my Sargent seat.

I got a Sargent, very very good seat. I could do about 400 miles with no problem!

I then got a Russel......... I sold the Sargent!

I had no problems doing over 1,100 miles in 22 hours last weekend during the Utah 1088 with the Russel!

If you can get a Russel, if for some reason you can't the Sargent is a good seat, The Sargent just isn't in the same league as Russel.

Ok, lets muddy the waters here...how do the Meyer seats rank in this group?

I know the consensus between the 2 brothers is that Rick takes 2nd, but what about vs the other brands mentioned above?

Thanks in advance!

Ok, lets muddy the waters here...how do the Meyer seats rank in this group?
I know the consensus between the 2 brothers is that Rick takes 2nd, but what about vs the other brands mentioned above?

Thanks in advance!
From what I've heard/read the Meyer is pretty much right there with the Russel, the main difference is if your in the 225# range or above (I'm around 227#) even Rick will tell you to go with the Russel.

I have both Sargent and Mayer. I got the sargent soon after getting bike and have to say it is a very good seat compared to stock. I then purchased a mayer seat from a fellow FJR forum member. I used the mayer for my ride from stl to san francisco and the cal 24. I really like the mayer also but cant reaaly say which is better they are both superior to stock. Right now I still have both. I am thinking of sending the sargent into Russell because they have the best seat ans I like the sargent seat pan.

Personal experience with the fjr.

I hated the stock.

Sargeant was definitely better but not a long distance seat for ME!

Meyers, in my opinion wasn't much different than the Sarg.

Wish I had tried a Russell or the other Meyers...

BTW love my stock GSXR seat :p