Russell seat vs. Sargent seat

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personal experience with the fjr.I hated the stock.

Sargeant was definitely better but not a long distance seat for ME!

Meyers, in my opinion wasn't much different than the Sarg.

Wish I had tried a Russell or the other Meyers...

BTW love my stock GSXR seat :p
Muchas gracias -- I love that nearly new Sargeant I bought from you (haven't tried anything else, though) and hated the stock seat as much as anything I ever sat on -- monkey butt central. Funny thing is -- I love the OEM seats on the Blackbirds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personal experience with the fjr.

I hated the stock.

Sargeant was definitely better but not a long distance seat for ME!

Meyers, in my opinion wasn't much different than the Sarg.

Wish I had tried a Russell or the other Meyers...

BTW love my stock GSXR seat :p
Muchas gracias -- I love that nearly new Sargeant I bought from you (haven't tried anything else, though) and hated the stock seat as much as anything I ever sat on -- monkey butt central. Funny thing is -- I love the OEM seats on the Blackbirds.
So glad it has worked out for you. Comparing yours to the Meyers not much difference to me. Mine was a Rick so I never had the other Meyers which I hear is "better".

It seems like anything this stuff is so personal.

We could get into even the wind I feel on the GSXR compared to the FJR. In this respect I am more comfortable behind the GSXR because the buffeting and being behind the FJR actually made my head hurt.

For others it is the cats meow!!! Go figure.

The stock windshield on the fjr was better more me angled than the bigger one.

If I had kept it a Russell was next!!! It was already in my plans...

I have a Russell for my FZ1 and it has been an expensive disappointment. It's too short, front to back and pushes me onto my wrists and into the tank. It's also too high--at least an inch higher than the stock seat. What I don't understand is when I sit on the passenger seat--it's perfect but they can't get the driver's seat like that. It went back to them twice, with only slight improvement, then I pulled off the cover and carved on it a bit which also helped, but still not enough. The springs inside are supported with 1/4 thick chunks of plywood!

I had gotten a Corbin first and it was also a problem. After I sent it back twice too, they got the angles right, but even their "soft" foam is a fine grade of concrete and NEVER broke in.

The only good thing I can say is that while my wrists are aching, and I'm sliding into the tank, my butt never gets sore or tired. At least that they got right.

Oh, don't get leather seat covers. As comfy and elegant as they look, vinyl will keep you from sliding far better.

For the FJR, I have a Sheepy Hollow fleece cover.

I am not completely satisfied with my Rick Meyer seat. It is definitely better than stock, but is not meeting my expectations. After running two rallies with it this summer, for the next ones it will be back to the Airhawk whopee cushion, which while fugly, works very well.

So I am now very interested in a Russell. But after spending $$$ on the RM, I am not in a big hurry to throw a lot more $$$ for another custom seat that may work better than what I got.

So my question is: When does Russell do their big sale? November?

December IIRC,

I hand it set up but sent mine early (Mid Nov) because I was using my Sargent, I got a pleasent surprise when they had it done and back before Dec, they must have had a slot open up and fit mine in!

I would say check the COG website in October.

I am not completely satisfied with my Rick Meyer seat. It is definitely better than stock, but is not meeting my expectations. After running two rallies with it this summer, for the next ones it will be back to the Airhawk whopee cushion, which while fugly, works very well.
So I am now very interested in a Russell. But after spending $$$ on the RM, I am not in a big hurry to throw a lot more $$$ for another custom seat that may work better than what I got.

I had Dick Mayer make one for my old FJR. After I sent it back for a refit and a cover problem, I had to send it back again because they forgot about fixing the cover. Needless to say I wanted my shipping fee back, and after some back and forth he agreed to refund my shipping. But what really ticked me was his money back warrenty. This from his site...

"If the adjustment is not successful, I will offer a second adjustment or refund the customer's purchase price less actual shipping charges. Leather saddles will be charged $150.00 due to the cost of the leather. "

Well after the first rework, I still was not happy. I ask Rick what now, how can you make it better?? He asked, is it better than stock?? Well yes, it is better than stock..But whats not better than the stock seat.. His next statment was " I have done my job. Thats good as it gets. I have build a lot of FJR seats, bah bah bah.. A refund was never offered, or paid.

If you want a great seat, buy a Russell not a Dick Mayer. I mean Rick Mayer....His seats suck most ass cheese IMHO..... :fuck: Smitty

Skoot - what about the Rick Meyer in particular don't you like? Inquiring Minds want to know... ;)

A little history (repeated for some).

Bill Mayer was the Dad who designed the original seat that he later sold to Russell with a non-compete agreement.

After an appropriate time he started making seats again but couldn't use the method of the original design for obvious reasons. Even he was known to tell people that there's only so much he could do with various types and densities of foam.

When Bill passed on, his sons both branched off into their own businesses. That means there are two Mayer seats (Rick and Rocky). Also Russell changed hands about 3 years ago - improving turn around times in the process.

--corrected type in Rick's name--

I hadn't planned to get into this but I had horrible experiences with Rick Mayer. Suzuki Vstrom 1000. He didn't bother to return emails or phone calls over a two week period. When I finally got ahold of him by tracking down his home phone #, he stated that he was "just too busy" to respond to questions.

I was not an unknown emailer. He had my seat pan and my money. I had certain questions about timing and possible changes. When I met him at the Daytona show, he was charming, pleasant and apparently knowledgeable. Once he wasn't available face to face, his customer satisfaction was horrible.

Eventually, as someone else posted, the seat was better but not noticeably so. I just didn't want to deal with him anymore.

I have heard really good things about his brother, Rocky Mayer. See https://billmayersaddles.com

I met him at a different show. If I get another Mayer seat, it will definitely be from Rocky.

Having said all that, I'm leaning towards a Russell for my 06 FJR

Tom Hanaway

Boynton Beach, FL

Sargent seat is a vast improvement over an '05 stock seat. W/ my butt, the Sargent is abt a 500 mile seat. I've never had the pleasure of sitting on a custom seat but suspect a custom is a vast improvement over a Sargent.

I bought a used Russel seat and I love it!! Its has made riding sooo much more enjoyable. the only thing is that it isnt a dual (for the fiance') so ill be selling it soon. ive sent the stock seat into russel for an august build. then ill put mine up for sale.

Don't want to tip the boat but from what I understand Saddlemen will make you a custom seat or redo your stock unit. I personally think two secrets to a good seat are a pan wide enough to support your complete behind and to have the horizontal seperation that allows the bottom section of the seat to seperate from the back support area. They also will make you a seat with a back rest or install one in yours. Saddlemen place Just my $.02 worth. PM <>< :evo:

Saddleman is the place that makes the "Road Sofa" for the GL1500. One of those was part of my litany of poor choices on my way to the my first Russell. It's custom as in they pick from one of a few standard sizes and cover it with fabric of your choice.

Saddleman is the place that makes the "Road Sofa" for the GL1500. One of those was part of my litany of poor choices on my way to the my first Russell. It's custom as in they pick from one of a few standard sizes and cover it with fabric of your choice.
My understanding is they can do anything you want. Take your seat add a gel insert, cover material of your choice, use your stock seat pan and completely redo the whole seat, or make you a seat from scratch. I'm running a seat similar to the Road Sofa with a back rest on my HD with the gel insert and its great. What ever trips your trigger. Depends on how much you want to spend. PM. <>< :D

True. Seat preferences are like tire and oil preferences. Asses abound and everyone has one (opinion). All I can state is that personal experience was that the Rode Sofa didn't hold up well to 1500 mile days (I was in physical pain before it was half over). Yet the Russell was good for several 1500+ mile days, a 1600+ mile day, multiple BtB 1k days, and the IBR. At no point was ass pain ever an issue once I went with the Dr of Buttology! :)

Ahhhhh, the russell..

IMG_0422.jpg

After two SS1K runs last year, I absolutely positively hated the stock seat. Monkey butt, ass burn, hip tingles, sore knees, the works ! Read all the forum opinions about seats, didn't want to go through what Bounce went through, that'd take away money needed for other farkles.

Waited for the December Discount Days at Russell, bought a leather. After a tank & a half of gas I realized my buns & knees felt just fine. Best farkle so far...