Rust on fuel cap and insert

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pop78

Reaction score
Hey,

I'm looking at getting one of these fine machines. Took a look at a 2005 today and everything looked great, except for some rust on the fuel cap and the insert in the filler hole.

I did notice a small dent on the side of the tank but the paint looked fine. Should have taken my own picture, but bellow is the add picture. And of course, the tank was only half full.

So is there any reason for the filler cap to rust other than a pinhole in the tank?

Thanks!

%24_59.JPG

The lip of filler neck where it contacts the cap on my '07 always seems to have a VERY fine layer of what I assume to be rust on it. Absolutely no evidence of any corrosion in the tank or further down the neck (or on the cover). No eating into the metal or roughness at all. Mostly wipes away with a fingertip.

The lip of filler neck where it contacts the cap on my '07 always seems to have a VERY fine layer of what I assume to be rust on it. Absolutely no evidence of any corrosion in the tank or further down the neck (or on the cover). No eating into the metal or roughness at all. Mostly wipes away with a fingertip.
That I get, but this something else. The cap itself was rusty and the insert with the 8 holes was covered as well. That and the tank only being half full leads me to believe there is a hole, but wanted to ask in case others have another possible cause (apart from leaving the fuel cap open).

Take a bright flashlight, like an LED Maglight, and shine it into the fuel tank. Do this while the bike is in the shade so you can see through the fuel to the bottom of the tank. Look around the base of the fuel pump. Chances are you will see a clean tank, free from any rust or debris. The lip on the filler neck is bare steel, and will show some real light dusting where the cap sits.

Hope this helps.

Brodie

🙂

How rusty.?? Like need a wire brush to remove? Or wipes away with a little pressure?

Bike not stored with a full tank over many winters. Doubt there is a rust hole but top of tank may be rusty and you can't see it. Doubt bottom rusted but might see something down there with a good flash light stated above. Inside of tank is all bare steel not just the top.

Latest posts