Saddlebag Lid

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stryg8r

Reaction score
Anyone know if you can purchase just the lid to a saddlebag? My right side bag has a few scratches....don't ask :(

Derek

University Motors, Gary McCoy, 866-551-6478.

Get ready to faint... $325! And you'll do no better than UM for price and service.

No, no, no...

Yamaha includes a jar of Vaseline, too!

(Yup, just the exterior cover and I dunno if it includes the rub strip and logo as they are listed as separate part numbers...)

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's the real pisser...

I've heard that a quart of paint for these runs about $200! Add in $150 for labor and you're better off with the Vaseline!

They gots ya comin' and goin'...

Now how do you remove the lid from the black clam shell, or does it come with the inner black liner already attached. I have an extra lid, I'll hack it up and try to remove it tonight. I want to see how they are attached. I origionally wanted to remove the painted lid from the black inner pannel for painting purposes.

Pop rivets are drilled out. Need to replace with new rivets. Guns and rivets are cheap - any A/P store, Home Despot, Lowes...

Oh, hey! I just went 3 bars (cubes?)!

Hold on, are we talking about the same thing? I know that the hinges are pop riveted on, but speaking just about the lid part, how is the painted lid (thin plastic) held to the inner part of the lid (black unpainted ABS plastic) I was origionally thinking contact cement.

The only reason I care is that is that I'm painting the lids a different color than they currently are and don't want to have to tape off the inner area where the rubber gasket is.

Thanks for bearing with me, sometimes I don't explain myself very well.

Ocasionalmente, Yo no comprendo, o, mi hermano.

I just checked the on-line parts catalog and it's been changed it seems. I recall there being separate part numbers (and pictures) for the inner and out case lid parts. Now it shows only the 'replacement lid'.

Something is fishy... I wonder if I tapped into a different version of the parts catalog before - like for Yamaha's use only?

If that's right and I'm losing my mind - which ain't hard to believe - you're gonna hafta pop the hinges.

Better check with Gary at UM.

Already have, he only can get them with the complete lid assembled for $330 or so, he also said that the complete bag is only $60 or $70 more.

A mate of mine ran into the back of me when parking...anyway I did some research... new bag $940.00 AUD or go to my very good spray painter for $200.00 and you cannot tell it was ever damaged. Go and get it filled and painted...what colour is it? Mine is Strom Grey BC4 is the code it think they call it a grey blue from memory.

Good luck

HEY TWN, I see now that you have 3 cubes you're a HOLLIGAN. WTF is a HOLLIGAN, some lower form of Hooligan? Hmmmm? :p

If the scratches on the saddlebag are only surface scratches, perhaps they could be rubbed out? Worth a try before repainting.

Well they don't exacty snap together. Here is a picture of an extra bag I had, not origionally from my bike. They are glued solid.

000_0006.jpg

HEY TWN, I see now that you have 3 cubes you're a HOLLIGAN. WTF is a HOLLIGAN, some lower form of Hooligan? Hmmmm? 
It means I'm allowed to bitch slap newbies such as you for asking lame-ass, retarded questions! That question should be posed to 'admin' as the nicknames assigned to your post level are provided by the board and not the user. Got it? Good! Now drop and give me 20, Maggot!

Alex?

Is that part of an anger management therapy program?

Does it help any? By the way, I went back into my e-mails and found the lids part number that I sent off to Gary. It is indeed the same as posted on the Yammi Parts site. I have no idea where the heck I got my above posted notion that they were separate items... Musta been dreaming or something... Sorry for the confusion.

Gotta go! I've got some newbies to slap around...

And, it seems that little spelling error has been corrected...

>>Alex?

>>Is that part of an anger management therapy program?

I barely had enough energy to tear that off; I had just finished up sanding the front fender. I put on a fender extender and plastic welded it on permanently, I then filled in the seam and sanded smooth. It turned out absolutely perfect, looks stock. But it was a shit load of work to accomplish. Ohh, well it’s done.

Latest posts