Saguaro National Park in Arizona

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Too bad you aren't coming out this way this year. With all the rain we've had this summer, Newer Mexico and eastern Arizona has been some damn nice riding for a change. Have fun, we'll see you in Utah next year.

Also near Tucson - PIMA Air & Space Museum... (including Saguaro on-site)
+1, Gunny; LCB is right on with the incredible Pima Air and Space Museum and goat fecking Gregory made a good call on Gates Pass at Sunset, plus you do have to go to the Desert Museum. Papa Chuy Viejo fully admits to being a Zonie Desert Rat, I truly and absolutely love the Sonoran Desert that I live in! JSNS!

suguaro-sunset.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The 'beams had no problem finding saguaro around the Phoenix area.

Cacti_zps7563fd43.jpg

Cacti2_zps0f1a45b5.jpg

Cacti8_zpsb29236f0.jpg

Cacti4_zps2d7857cc.jpg

Cacti6_zps8c0ef962.jpg

Cacti5_zpsf9669665.jpg

Cacti7_zpsd052edec.jpg

If you are in the area around June they are in bloom.

Cacti3_zps0d967fc9.jpg

IMG_0403c_zps5f3def14.jpg

We also ran into a prickle pear.

Don_zps3babe6a7.jpg

Are you guys done teasing me with those pictures? I will get out there and actually see the things next year. I'll even touch some of them, so there.
tonguesmiley.gif

Just be sure to avoid jumping cholla

Dsc00014.jpg

and especially Teddy Bear Cholla

1cb0df.jpg

Learn from my brother, just walking around Joshua Tree in the cholla area it worked the thorns through his shoe sole into his foot and when your shoe is nailed to your foot it becomes an issue PDQ.

Those things look very pointy. My riding boots are very comfortable, but the soles are fairly soft and won't provide much protection.

Well Geezer as long as your there.
009_zps16896681.jpg

https://www.titanmissilemuseum.org/
I know there is a lot of stuff to see. That is true no matter where I go. I have been to south Utah several times now and still have not seen everything. I'm sure the same will be true of south Arizona. In fact, I have not seen everything right here in my own state. I'm working on it.
punk.gif

The Saguaro is my main objective for this trip. Second is Monument Valley, which I did ride through once before but didn't look it over very well. Zion is third. I have been there twice and didn't really appreciate it. I know it's good and I want to give it another try so I can 'get it' this time. The rest of south Utah is great, including the roads in between the parks.

It's quite a distance from Saguaro NP to Monument Valley. If all you want to do is see the cacti, there are plenty near the I17 just south of Sunset Point. Have a look at them and turn back and slab it to the North through Flagstaff and Cameron, then head east at Tuba City and so on.

However, there is some beautiful scenery east of Tucson. Last summer, I visited Kartcnher Caverns out that way, and it was worth the price of admission. Check a map and see how you can catch the Devil's Highway (US 191) from Clifton up to Alpine from a bit north of the area, and that'll take you north to Monument Valley at a leisurely pace through some awesome twiisties.

Dress for hot and cold weather, becaure you can expect both. Oh, yeah, and I never ride those roads after sunset. HTH, WBill

Kartcnher Caverns are sure worth it, but don't plan to casually stop in, make sure you have between 2.5 and 5 hrs to burn. When I was riding through the area I tried to tour the caverns but was unable to due to group sizing that dictates when you *might* be able to take a 1.5 hr tour through one of the caverns. More caverns = lots more time. Indeed, the scenery in the area and to the east is very nice. If you are lucky you will see the nice lady pulling out of the Caverns parking lot in her BMW (car) and she will lead you for an extensive length of time with average speeds over 12.... hmm, darn fast. Nice bear bait!

Excellent advice from Gary Miller, a long time Arizona rider; couldn't say it any better myself, this is the routing you want. Greg, you and Paul can stay at my house while you view Southern Arizona. Honestly, it will be too damn hot to camp out in the Sonoran Desert at the end of May or the first week in June. Go out on your day trip rides, then come back to Barrio del Chandler and we will drink beer (a lot of beer!) in my swimming pool! MI Casa es su Casa ese, JSNS!
This ^^^ is highly recommended! A visit to the Stanley household is a must - just beware of the big, hairy hamster running loose around the place... he'll steal anything you don't nail down. You've been warned.

Excellent advice from Gary Miller, a long time Arizona rider; couldn't say it any better myself, this is the routing you want. Greg, you and Paul can stay at my house while you view Southern Arizona. Honestly, it will be too damn hot to camp out in the Sonoran Desert at the end of May or the first week in June. Go out on your day trip rides, then come back to Barrio del Chandler and we will drink beer (a lot of beer!) in my swimming pool! MI Casa es su Casa ese, JSNS!
This ^^^ is highly recommended! A visit to the Stanley household is a must - just beware of the big, hairy hamster running loose around the place... he'll steal anything you don't nail down. You've been warned.
This is the big, blonde, hairy hamster in question: Oso the Incorrigible, the World's Most Obnoxious Labrador Retriever. No item is safe from Oso, he can break a bowling ball! jes' sayin' and nuff said, Bow-Wow!

This is the big, blonde, hairy hamster in question: Oso the Incorrigible, the World's Most Obnoxious Labrador Retriever. No item is safe from Oso, he can break a bowling ball! jes' sayin' and nuff said, Bow-Wow!

Labs are my favorite breed. I had a chocolate one back when I used to hunt, along with a German Shorthair Pointer. The Lab was pretty intelligent, but the pointer would lead her astray and they were both always in some sort of trouble.

Woofsies, woofsies... he's so darn cute, you just can't get mad at him! Kinda like Mr beemerdons...

Yes, I expect to do this, but I don't want to commit until I talk it over with Paul. He is on vacation this week somewhere on the Atlantic coast with his family.