Sampson Beaded Seat Covers vs alaskaleather

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beaded vs sheepskin

• Beads

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sheepskin

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
I have a Beadrider, which I believe is similar to the Sampson, and also an Alaskan Leathers sheepskin pad.

I tend to use the sheepskin pad for most rides, as I find it more comfortable, but switch to the Beadrider in the wet, as it doesn't hold the rain. Either is a huge improvement over the stock seat, but each is still just a stop gap until I get a custom seat done.

SPORT recently detailed a ride report where he used a modified beaded car seat cover from Walmart (about $8 I recall), with decent results.

Cheap and ingenious (for him :rolleyes: ) way to try it out.

I have had beads since 90's, won't leave home without them. Granted on cooler days my butt gets a little chill, but on hot days there is air circulating down there, which evaporates water, which causes fabric to stick, which contributes to monkey butt. Sally didn't want them for the longest time until I put mine under her and then I had to buy another set.

I have 24,000 miles on the 07 with the stock seat. I am using the same beads I bought in '93. I keep moving them from bike to bike.

I did try sheepskin, I found that when it was cold and dry the sheepskin was great. After that it was no help at all. When it got wet it smelled and held water until you could dry it, even after it rained and the sun comes out you still need to wear your rain pants. When it was hot out it did not allow any air to circulate, nor did it remove the heat from my butt, causing sweat. Then once in a while you have to wash it, comb it....

Friend from GA has a reworked car bead seat on his harley, does 25,000 miles each year on it.

Beads just sit there for years. Yep, beads are the way to go.

www.beadrider.com

(no affiliation, just a satisfied customer)

2-lizzy2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I did the Walmart beaded seat thing. Worked like a champ on a thousand mile day.

After 5 minutes, you don't even notice the beads - but after a dozen hours you notice your butt doesn't hurt like you expected. Would be perfect if it was black (instead of natural wood color).

I don't know why it's so comfortable, but it was definitely worth the 8 bucks at Walmart. I just threaded some thin wire around the outside beads to make it a bit sturdier.

Anything involving beads and your ass should also involve a Mexican brothel.