Saying goodbye for now,

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
This was my cousin Bob's bike.

Bob was and is my hero. ..but that's a different post.

Long story short, Bob died too early due to alcohol, pot, etc. Incredibly sad, he was such a man's man.

Anyway, after his death, I inherited his 1984 Cagiva WMX500. In SoCal, a big dealer, Cosmopolitan, IIRC, had set this bike up as a Baja 500 pre-runner for the factory team speedsters.

And I've done nothing with this bike due to higher priorities, lack of finances, etc.

Enter Ian.

Ian was one of the guys, back in the day, who was always the coolest. His pops had cool old trucks and cars, and Ian inherited this awareness of how cool some old things are... and has the skills to return them to former glory days. So, pondering the universe, I decided to... GIVE this bike to Ian, pink slip and all - with one simple condition; should Ian decide he no longers wants it, I get first dibs.

Here is the Cagiva, may it find happier times in Ian's care than mine...

This whole thing is so sad..

and leads me to revere those that live,

beyond all odds,

due to choices, inheritance, genes, sheer luck?...

Just Live, Ride if you can -

It's a funny thing, Don, the stuff we hang onto until we find time.

In your case, giving it to a friend who you know will bring it back to its former glory is about the highest and best use you can make of it. Better Ian works to restore and enjoy it than having it waste away in the corner of your garage until you find time. When you see what he's done with it and the fun its brought him, you'll have your payback.

Man Don...it's hard to let those things go...those connections to people you love. Man, I get it.

Hopefully your friend will be able to bring it back into some good use.

Looks like a good candidate to get worked over, sounds like it's going to a good home! Better to a good home than to turn to dust.

Tx guys and gal!

Thinning the herd isn't always easy but sure is cheaper than building another shop... :huh:

Boy DC, do those pics take me back! I got to ride a buddy's Cagiva years ago, absolutely loved it! Thanks for getting detailed pics such as the elephant logo, White Bros. remote reservoir, solid rear brake rod, bolt replacement for brake pedal, etc... classic stuff! She sounds like she's going to a good home, but please add to the agreement that we get some updated pics and video clips of the restoration.

Hang tough buddy, it'll be ok......... :mellow:

Boy DC, do those pics take me back! I got to ride a buddy's Cagiva years ago, absolutely loved it! Thanks for getting detailed pics such as the elephant logo, White Bros. remote reservoir, solid rear brake rod, bolt replacement for brake pedal, etc... classic stuff! She sounds like she's going to a good home, but please add to the agreement that we get some updated pics and video clips of the restoration.

Freaking Brilliant idea!

..and I may add another point that if nothing is done in year, she comes back too.

Gotta say you really studied those pix.. but did you notice the full floating front disc?

Don just wanted to let you know. I am looking for a free dirt bike too. Just in case you need to part with any others. I'm easy...
I have just what you need, Good Luck!

051-L.jpg

Freaking Brilliant idea!

..and I may add another point that if nothing is done in year, she comes back too.

Gotta say you really studied those pix.. but did you notice the full floating front disc?

Don just wanted to let you know. I am looking for a free dirt bike too. Just in case you need to part with any others. I'm easy...

051-L.jpg
A dirt bike not just pieces of a dirt bike. Keep me in mind. Was that a KLR?

Freaking Brilliant idea!

051-L.jpg
A dirt bike not just pieces of a dirt bike. Keep me in mind. Was that a KLR?
Yep!