Seal Mate and Fork Seal Fix

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smilin' Kyle

Reaction score
My 2008 has developed a fork seal leak on the right side. Yamaha dealers in Tacoma and Bremerton both gave me quotes of $400 - $500 to do both.

Have any of you used Seal Mate? Supposedly, a $5.00 plastic tool can do the fix.

I'm skeptical that the fix could be so simple; it's sounds too good to be true.

I wish I was more of a wrench guy and had a large enough space to wrench in. I am and have neither.

I haven't been on the Forum for quite some time. It's nice to be back.

Kyle

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for clicking on the post button twice. Damn it, I'm out of practice. I've looked all over on a way to delete the second one but can't find it.

I've used a Seal Mate on several bikes that had misting or minor leaks. It has worked every time. There is a short how to video on You Tube you should view.

A lesson I learned is to put shock soxs on all my bikes. I run them on my new FJR even though it is fully faired. Even with the fairing you'll get grime on the tubes that will build-up and cause a leak.

smile.png

I've used it on forks that were gushing oil prohibitively and it was still completely effective at resealing them.

Fork seals do not rip open, blow out, or wear out very often. The vast majority of the time when a shop replaces fork seals, the seals are actually just fine and just have some road spooge get under the lip to make it leak. My stock fork seals lasted 75k miles till I replaced them when I was rebuilding the fork innards with aftermarket (GP Suspension) valving. The seals were actually still fine and would have lasted a lot longer had I reinstalled them. I had used a seal mate to reseal them twice previously.

But they can't make very much money just cleaning the seals, now can they?

Get the tool (or make one). Learn how to do this on the side of the road and you will save yourself a lot of grief in the future.

I think you are surrounded by a very large and active FJR community! I live in B.C. and have attended a Tech meet at Auburn's. I'm sure if you pop him a pm, Bryan could direct you to someone close by who would be able to help you out! If you don't mind, Bryan?

Sealmates worked for me. Like others have said, if you don't want to spend the $ on the sealmates, plastic milk jugs or film negatives (remember those?) will work too. Watch the video a couple of times. It's an easy job.

Good luck,

John

You all have been a BIG help! I'll have to pick up some soxs that Petrodactyl mentioned. Myhalis, the video you provided is the one that got my attention. I'd like to find out more about those tech sessions. Again, a huge "Thank you!"

Seal mate works great! I've used it with success

Sealmates worked for me. Like others have said, if you don't want to spend the $ on the sealmates, plastic milk jugs or film negatives (remember those?) will work too. Watch the video a couple of times. It's an easy job.
Good luck,

John
I wouldn't use the 35MM film, it's very thin and can tear easily.

I had a friend use some and it tore on him and got stuck down in the fork...had to tear it apart as he couldn't get it all out.

Thumbs up for the SEALMATE.

Thumbs up for sealmate as well. My son's race bike (KX250F) had the forks completely redone last winter, but after one weekend of racing they were leaking. Tried sealmate for the first time and voila!, all was well again. A lot cheaper than replacing the seals.

+2 for sealmates. They're expensive for what they are, but they are darned effective. I couldn't get the milk jug to work, felt like the plastic wasn't rigid enough (also The shape I cut was goofy).

Someone said they cut up milk jugs for rim savers on a tire change. I found them way too flimsy for the task. YMMV.

I'd like to find out more about those tech sessions.
Typically we have them in spring and fall. Keep an eye on the PNW specific section for information.

Good luck with the seal mate, I've used it successfully to stem the flow!

--G

Good luck,

John
I wouldn't use the 35MM film, it's very thin and can tear easily.

I had a friend use some and it tore on him and got stuck down in the fork...had to tear it apart as he couldn't get it all out.

Thumbs up for the SEALMATE.
I could see that happening, especially if the film is old and brittle. For my own forks, I forked over the money for the sealmate.

Another happy customer for Sealmates. Stopped the leak on my 08 as well. The material seems to be "malleable" as to which they are neither too brittle, or too flimsy. If you get too rough with them they will simply deform and not leave you with a piece stuck in your seal. VERY cheap compared to a seal change. And you can re cut the end into the same shape after using it and get a couple more used out of it.

Fork Seal Fix = Seal Mate or Seal Doctor + AT-205 + 20 Minutes

A few days ago, I noticed a Fork Seal leak on my 2014 FJR 1300A. So, when I finished my ride, I did some quick research and found that little plastic Seal Mate tool that lets you clean between the seal and the fork. I ordered one from Amazon, got it in one day, and used it as per the instructions. Then I dribbled a little AT-205 on the fork seal to assure the fork seal remains soft and supple. Finally, I buttoned things up with the dust seal.

So far it looks like this quick inexpensive effort has resolved the leak and I seem to have avoided a $300 to $400 visit to the shop. I will keep a close eye on it and will update the group if anything changes. But, from what I have seen online, this fix can last a very long time.

I have taken a few rides since the fix and everything is still working perfectly. The previously leaking fork seal is now as clean as the unaffected one.

I might, however, recommend getting the Risk Racing Seal Doctor instead of the Seal Mate as it looks much easier to use. I'm thinking of getting one to add to my toolkit myself. As for the AT-205, that stuff has no real match. There are similar products but in my opinion, none are as good.

Last edited:
The Seal Mate does work, but only for a while, you will need new seals soon I suspect.
Depends on the mileage, the conditions under which you are riding and whether you have an "A" or the USD forks of the "ES" (last longer).
If you are at less than 50,000 miles on an "A", I would say that a SealMate fix could last for a while. If over 65,000 or so, it is only a matter of time. By then, the internal bushings are toast anyway so might as well dive in and get it done.

Rough roads and a dusty environment will hasten seal breakdown.

Last edited: