Seat Advice

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rrarthur

Reaction score
I just took my first all day ride on a stock saddle. I'm 6' tall 165, I was wearing biking shorts to add some extra padding. The 2 bones on my backside felt bruised. I was out for 8hrs, and after coming home I was very sore. With all the talk of Corbin, Sargent... Is this the soreness / pain that is fixed by plunking down that kind of money on a seat. I am intrigued by the Sargent seat, but wonder if there are other options, so I'm open to suggestions, including getting it re-upholstered. I live in the twin cities, so if someone would be willing to let me try out their seat or recommend an upholstery shop I'd appreciate it.

I STRONGLY recommend you do a Google search of this forum for seats. You will find all the information you desire and more. There are better options than a Sargent or Russell.

If I remember correctly in Ignacio's signature line is a link to his evaluation of the better seats available. Really all you need to know is right there.

Two things you will hear from this thread:

1. You should have done a search.

2. Get a Russell.

I have a Sargent. My opinion is that it is more comfortable if sat in correctly. If you like to sit close to the tank, it is not since it slopes up a fair amount in front and squashes the man parts. But, when you sit back in the bucket part it works pretty well. When I put an MV riser on that allowed me to sit more upright, which let my butt cheeks carry some more of the load from my "sitz bones", the seat became more comfortable. So for me, the Sargent works best when sitting as upright as possible and back in the bucket. Also, the seat is firm but not overly so IMO.

With the stock handlebars, you may not be able to sit upright enough, and rotate back off the sitz bones enough, to maximize the bucket feature unless you have real long arms.

I've never ridden with padded bike shorts to help out, but that may work well combined with the Sargent.

I'm also intrigued by the Saddlemen brand option and may get one of those some day. Here is one opinion from Majicmaker:

"I just picked up a set of Saddlemens seats. Love them. Waaaay better than stock. On the stock seats I achieved ass burn in about an hour. I've ridden three hours on the Saddlemens with no pain what so ever. :)"

I STRONGLY recommend you do a Google search of this forum for seats. You will find all the information you desire and more. There are better options than a Sargent or Russell.
If I remember correctly in Ignacio's signature line is a link to his evaluation of the better seats available. Really all you need to know is right there.

Two things you will hear from this thread:

1. You should have done a search.

2. Get a Russell.
What he said.

I put off getting a seat for 3+ years and never could ride more than five hours without pain. Picked up a Russell this last winter after sitting on one at a tech meet. I should have done this 3 years ago.

Thanks for the responses. I have done the search but the results are nearly overwhelming. I get kind of paralyzed when making a decision, I don't want to second guess my choice. I'm guessing that I will spend quite a period of time reading, then following the vendor sites to see what they offer. Too bad in my searching so far it seems that custom seat guys are on either coast. It may end up being a Russell. Wow do they take quite a while to ship.

Thanks for the tip on the bar risers. I have been looking into those as well. That was a good suggestion to change your riding angle to relieve the pressure on the sits bones. That's exactly what gets sore on me. So now I have 2 items to search for. In the meantime while I look for a solution I may end up stuffing a bit of extra foam or gel into my biking shorts.

The Russell is the best. That is the overwhelming choice of the true Long Distance riders. But (Butt
rolleyes.gif
) that may not be the only option for you and may not be what you really need. I will offer an alternative suggestion, check out Laam Custom Seats. A couple of forum members are running this seat already. I think you will find both the turnaround time and the price agreeably small.

See me @ first Thursdays and you can sit on my Bill Mayer saddle. I like it alot...but my wife doesn't. I'm the silver '03. CU, Roger

I am completely satisfied with my Corbin. Did 7500 miles in 14 days of riding last summer and had no issues with discomfort with the seat. The fact that it was 104 degrees most of the way home from NAFO, well there was discomfort elsewhere....

I have owned my 05' since new and have gone thru a variety of different style and mfg. seats. Got a Russel this Winter and agree 100% with the other guys, it is the absolute best! Sorry I didn't get one years ago!

5' 11" and 155# so about the same size. I haven't experienced any problems with the stock seat and frequently make 400-500 mile day trips on nice weekends. I'm sure you have probably tried shifting you position on the seat to find a comfortable position. The stock handlebars are right on the edge of being uncomfortable after about 250 miles but I usually stop for fuel about then so the five minutes of so off the bike gives everything a chance to relax.

m sure

Love my Corbin Canyon, heated of course! I have the original seat still in the basement never sat on, except in the show room! Two years ago a friend and I rode across Canada, all ten provinces and back home through the states. On the road 2 1/2 months, 25,500 kms. If you want total comfort I don't think a m/c is the mode of choice? Compromise in everything!

Russel...... first bought a Sargent, and they are nice, but you slide around alot but it is better then stock.

Bought a Russel drivers seat used from a member here, and it was the first time I could actually ride all day with my lower back problems. The full support on my buttocks and raised area in the front under the junk area lacks me in the "pocket" as they call it. Best thing I did for ease and length of ride....

P.S. I have a Sargent front and back for sale in great condition....

all you need is a slightly wider seat of any manufacture to be a platform for an airhawk air pad

I have a Sargent, a friend Corbin, there are any of the Meyers...the stock seat is too narrow, just find a decent aftermarket (wider) seat, new or used, and plop a Airhawk Air Pad on top. Put the proper (very little) amount of air in, and you are good for 1000mi days. At least I am and will never ride without an Airhawk. 167k mi on the bike, 25+mi riding a year on my '04 .

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mholiver/3135970137/in/set-72157611628435971

The Russell was the best money I've spent on my FJR. Except for buying the bike, of course. Oh, and tire changes were pretty smart. And oil. Can't forget oil. Heh, I found nickel.

Now where did I put that Vitamin R?

Roger Dodger & Tripper Mike, thanks for the offer. I'd love to try and meet up with you this Thursday. I'll try to keep an eye out for you. I didn't know about first Thursdays, that looks interesting.

One thing to keep in mind when trying OPRs (Other Peoples Russells) or Mayer seats for that matter, they will probably not be as good as the one you have built for yourself. What makes a custom seat so great is it is built for your shape and riding posture. Plus, if it doesn't measure up you just send it back for a free adjustment describing what the problem is. I had to do this on my FJR seat. Upon first build it was canted too much forward and slid me towards the tank. At 6'2" that was definitely not what I wanted. I had them scoop a little foam out from behind and create a deeper butt pocket and it has been 65k miles of bliss from then on.

Some folks have had problems with their Russells but when queried you'll find that they were unwilling to go through any adjustment process. They just tried to live with the first delivered product.

No "off the shelf" seat will measure up to a custom. How could it? It isn't shaped like your backside, but rather the average backside, on the average shaped rider, in the average riding position. People say that they think those others are good enough for them, but they just aren't being picky enough, and have also probably never spent the money for a custom saddle. Once you do it, you'll never think about Corbins or Sargents again. It's only about $100 more for a custom seat than those off the shelf aftermarket ones.

Some of the sporty crowd will dis these custom "tractor" seats because it makes it harder to slide your ass inside on corners. That is definitely true. Notice I said "harder", not impossible. It can definitely still be done with just a little more effort. Plus more than half of the riders you see making the ricky racer seat slide antics are simultaneously shifting their torso back toward center anyway, and putting their head up with eyes level to the horizon. If you just leave your ass in the middle and shift your torso to the inside of the corner, put your head in behind that inside mirror, you'll get more important mass transfer to the inside than by hanging your ass off.

Of course YMMV. ;)

Latest posts