Seat Advice

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Russell, bar risers (up and back). foam grips highly recommended.

No free ranging and no cotton drawers on a hot / long day. LD comfort shorts are da bomb.

You can step up to the plate now with your wallet in hand and just get a Russel (or a Mayer, or one of the QUALITY custom seats), though I've had a few and yeah, the Russel is the ugliest and best for my ass. There is no one fit's all, but I think Russell fits or has satisfied the broadest spectrum of asses.

Don't do what I did.

- Stock Seat was good for 250 miles then pain set in. I could use beads and airhawk to get a 5-600 mile day in. Anything more was torture.

Added Beads, and AirHawk $$$ (Well beads are cheap and I still use them today, Airhawk is on the mower).

Bought a Sargent front $$, didn't like the Corbin, though I've had success with Corbin on other bikes. That pushed all pain thresholds out oh about 500 miles. 500 miles pain would start, I could push that to 1000 mile days with beads/airhawk changing it up.

Then I had a rally that put such a hurting on me after 1400 miles. I'm talking weeks of Sciatic massages to fix it, that I tried a Russel, used. More $$$

But it wasn't made for me, pitched me forward, the boys were unhappy, I fell back to the Sargent for another year. I think I broke even on it though.

Then another used came up, knew the guy, he was my height, my weight, and basically built like me. It's like 100x better (for me). I still put the beads on, but only to get air to the boys. I should have just had one made to begin with, but a ride in from Ohio isn't a weekend deal. :)

I eventually sold the Sargent, lost a little but put some miles on it too.

I stlll have the stock seats for when I sell the bike and may recoup some of the Russell costs when I sell them.

The downside to a Russell is using your factory pans. Nobody buying the bike will ever appreciate that seat and it's costs. In fact they'll think it's ugly so usually you'll won't recoup the costs if that's the only seat you have.

YMMV

-MD

Had this one built by Laam Custom Seats a couple weeks ago. Very reasonable price of admission, great service and it fits me (and pillion) like a glove. If you can swing it, a ride-in appointment is the way to go!

a806c859-895d-4e9e-a223-06d9546853e1_zps8c9149f1.jpg

--G

The downside to a Russell is using your factory pans. Nobody buying the bike will ever appreciate that seat and it's costs. In fact they'll think it's ugly so usually you'll won't recoup the costs if that's the only seat you have.
Yep, it's a small commitment. But I disagree about not recouping the cost. Any time a Russell seat comes up for sale on this forum people are falling all over themselves to buy it. They go like hotcakes. Yes, you need to make sure it was built for someone of similar dimensions as yourself. And a true custom is better, but you can easily sell a used Russell for half of what you paid for it a couple hundred thousand miles down the road.

But why would you sell it? Just put a new bike under the seat and keep riding!
wink.png

As for the aesthetics, I think the half moon stitching pattern is the least objectionable Russell, but I am biased as that is what I have on my FJR (in black leather)

100_0381.jpg

...and V-strom (in black vinyl).

100_3747.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the responses. I have done the search but the results are nearly overwhelming. I get kind of paralyzed when making a decision, I don't want to second guess my choice. I'm guessing that I will spend quite a period of time reading, then following the vendor sites to see what they offer. Too bad in my searching so far it seems that custom seat guys are on either coast. It may end up being a Russell. Wow do they take quite a while to ship.
Thanks for the tip on the bar risers. I have been looking into those as well. That was a good suggestion to change your riding angle to relieve the pressure on the sits bones. That's exactly what gets sore on me. So now I have 2 items to search for. In the meantime while I look for a solution I may end up stuffing a bit of extra foam or gel into my biking shorts.
One more thing that helps me out on long rides is MCL highway pegs. Changes the hip angle a little and stretches the legs a little too. I find the Sargent works really well in this position. I imagine the highway pegs would help with all seats since hip and knee pain can be limiting factors in distance riding as well as butt pain.

Yep, it's a small commitment. But I disagree about not recouping the cost. Any time a Russell seat comes up for sale on this forum people are falling all over themselves to buy it. They go like hotcakes. Yes, you need to make sure it was built for someone of similar dimensions as yourself. And a true custom is better, but you can easily sell a used Russell for half of what you paid for it a couple hundred thousand miles down the road.

But why would you sell it? Just put a new bike under the seat and keep riding!
wink.png

As for the aesthetics, I think the half moon stitching pattern is the least objectionable Russell, but I am biased as that is what I have on my FJR (in black leather)

100_0381.jpg

100_3747.jpg
Is that a /6 I see hiding behind the Feejer?

No doubt, you can sell it for AT LEAST half what you paid, provided you have something else to put on your bike when you sell it.

Since most folks use their factory pans and don't have anything else to provide, that's when you don't recoup. The next guy buying your bike generally won't appreciate the seat and it's value. A) because it might not fit him/her and B) they just want the bike and are generally unaware they need to upgrade this piece.

Certainly if you, yourself are upgrading to a Gen 3 from a Gen 2 and the seat fits, by all means keep it.

100_0381.jpg

No, that was an R60/5 LWB project. Since moved along to a new owner:

100_0555q.jpg

And, bringing this back on topic, on that bike the Corbin was an improvement. ;)

100_0381.jpg

No, that was an R60/5 LWB project. Since moved along to a new owner:

100_0555q.jpg

And, bringing this back on topic, on that bike the Corbin was an improvement.
wink.png
SWEET!
punk.gif

+1 for the Russell. I took my first 'long' ride a few weeks after getting the FJR and by the time I was half way home I wanted off the bike. After looking around online seeing how much one would cost, I figured winning the wife over to the idea would be a lost cause.

Then I took her on her first long ride and she had as much love for the stock seat as I did. When we got home she immediately approved the purchase of a new seat. I was able to get in on the forum group buy that Winter to save a few bucks. Best money we've ever spent.

Good luck in your search.

I just took my first all day ride on a stock saddle. I'm 6' tall 165, I was wearing biking shorts to add some extra padding. The 2 bones on my backside felt bruised. I was out for 8hrs, and after coming home I was very sore. With all the talk of Corbin, Sargent... Is this the soreness / pain that is fixed by plunking down that kind of money on a seat. I am intrigued by the Sargent seat, but wonder if there are other options, so I'm open to suggestions, including getting it re-upholstered. I live in the twin cities, so if someone would be willing to let me try out their seat or recommend an upholstery shop I'd appreciate it.
Regarding those "sit bones" -

If you are fairly new to riding, or to distance riding, there is an adjustment period as your "sit bones" HTFU. It's actually the soft tissue in that area that is irritated/bruised by the pressure.

Like breaking in a new pair of shoes, both your a$$ and the saddle will need to "give" a little. And, like shoes, if the saddle's construction doesn't give broad enough support without constantly creating "hot spots", your "sit bones" will never adapt.

That's why a custom saddle works (assuming that the HTFU process has had time to work its magic): it gives better support and just enough padding in the important places - a determination which is a function of you height, weight and riding position.

You can get a rough idea by trying someone else's saddle. Butt sometimes "close enough"... isn't.

Good luck in your search

Had this one built by Laam Custom Seats a couple weeks ago. Very reasonable price of admission, great service and it fits me (and pillion) like a glove. If you can swing it, a ride-in appointment is the way to go!
a806c859-895d-4e9e-a223-06d9546853e1_zps8c9149f1.jpg

--G
Hmm, at $199 for the front seat only in Vinyl, I think I'm going to give Laam a try. I like what I see in their gallery and the customer reviews sound positive. Thanks for the link.

+1 for Seth Laam. Had both seats done in black leather with some blue stitching. Got 15% off plus free shipping. Price was pretty hard to beat for a custom seat.Needed to send seat back for an adjustment. I paid shipping to Seth but he sent it back with no shipping charge. Seth accomplished what I needed, even went as far as re-doing the pillion cover to accomodate the foam changes. Great customer service and a nice guy.

Gang,

I loved all the suggestions, and appreciated meeting some of you and being able to sit on your bikes & custom seats at the Mn First Thursday meeting.

Sorry hit enter too soon on the previous post. I think what I have learned besides what HTFU means
smile.png
, was that any quality seat other than stock is going to fill the bill. I got to sit on both a Russell and Bill Mayer, and both were very comfortable. I think I will wait to see if I can find a front seat for sale. I don't want to give up my stock seat, as I like to retain my stock parts. I was also told about the Russell seat group by in this forum, and would like to wait for that. If I can't find a front seat, at least I won't be without a seat for several weeks. I do have to say I like the looks of the Laam quite a bit, and turn around may not be quite as long. So if anyone has an undamaged front seat for sale that would fit my '13 let me know I may be interested. This group and the meeting the people have been quite helpful.

Hi All,

I am looking for a custom seat.

I was on Cee Bailey's web looking at windshields and saw they do custom seats. I have never heard of a CB seat before, so I called and was told they have done custom seats for about 10 years.

Has anyone used a CB seat or know any thing about them?

They are around $500.00 and a two week turn around.

Any one in New England have a seat for sale.

Thanks

Bill

I may end up stuffing a bit of extra foam or gel into my biking shorts.
They're not cheap, but an interim solution might be an Airhawk cushion. They're not for me, because I don't need any additional height, but for you , one might be the berries. Better than a "full diaper" bike short...

Most people swear by the custom seat they buy and most people don't like the stock seat. I'll put in my 2 cents. I have used the stock seat as well as a Sargent and I had a stock seat modified. I just told the upholstery shop what I was wanting & they cut a pocket that just fits my butt. I could direct compare the 3 seats & it didn't take long to pick the modified stock. I have since gotten rid of the ones I don't use.

Jim

A little off-topic but I’m thinking about selling my Gen2 Russell’s with <400 miles on them, what’s a fair price?

I may be selling the FJR soon, reason for the seat sale. Thanks and sorry for the hijack

Latest posts